Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

The Barcelona fire sale to alert Arsenal, Chelsea and Tottenham ahead of the transfer window

Barcelona could be forced to sell some of their biggest stars as a result of the financial impact the coronavirus crisis has caused

https://www.football.london/tottenham-hotspur-fc/transfer-news/arsenal-chelsea-tottenham-barcelona-transfers-18303675

snip

According to the report, goalkeeper Marc-Andre ter Stegen, defender Gerard Pique, midfielder Frenkie de Jong and attacking trio Antoine Griezmann, Lionel Messi and Ansu Fatu are the only players to have been assured that their futures do lie at the Nou Camp.

snip

lots of interesting (some more than others) names not listed as guaranteed stays

for example

43617b3627fc8838c022ee76560e7949.png781d1610dde99175712a2ae85c19df89.pngf7a1b7e6efb8f18bc4de69de4dec2287.png88080bfe5db34f7110f3c597112bd7ce.png81ecc6e0ce64fb3bb7575d3b71ff6c02.pnge9db551136697bcc400dda6a5752274b.png3d50e2f4979143135f8a1fb71e5941ea.png7f8a3ddc2ebb6137f6125ad0e0cc9972.png8b36c719d3d44e96abe09894b0d72859.png6edbabd76d5febaf693befb7912f65a6.png8abd8418c4ce5caa032e853cb86ce97a.png

Jovic has a Wanda Icardi for a GF too

almost 8 years older, massive gold digging past, always shit stirring

Sofija Milošević

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/11537359/luka-jovic-girlfriend-real-madrid/

his whole vibe screams HARD PASS

Before she met Jovic, Sofija dated Serb international Adem Ljajic

5 hours ago, Vesper said:

The Barcelona fire sale to alert Arsenal, Chelsea and Tottenham ahead of the transfer window

Barcelona could be forced to sell some of their biggest stars as a result of the financial impact the coronavirus crisis has caused

https://www.football.london/tottenham-hotspur-fc/transfer-news/arsenal-chelsea-tottenham-barcelona-transfers-18303675

snip

According to the report, goalkeeper Marc-Andre ter Stegen, defender Gerard Pique, midfielder Frenkie de Jong and attacking trio Antoine Griezmann, Lionel Messi and Ansu Fatu are the only players to have been assured that their futures do lie at the Nou Camp.

snip

lots of interesting (some more than others) names not listed as guaranteed stays

for example

43617b3627fc8838c022ee76560e7949.png781d1610dde99175712a2ae85c19df89.pngf7a1b7e6efb8f18bc4de69de4dec2287.png88080bfe5db34f7110f3c597112bd7ce.png81ecc6e0ce64fb3bb7575d3b71ff6c02.pnge9db551136697bcc400dda6a5752274b.png3d50e2f4979143135f8a1fb71e5941ea.png7f8a3ddc2ebb6137f6125ad0e0cc9972.png8b36c719d3d44e96abe09894b0d72859.png6edbabd76d5febaf693befb7912f65a6.png8abd8418c4ce5caa032e853cb86ce97a.png

I think it just highlights how bad their squad is outside of the half dozen players they don't want to sell. None of those players stand out at me as a great deal to get involved in.

The youngsters are essentially punts on whether they're better than our own crop. 

The centre backs - I've never personally rated Lenglet and Umtiti hasn't been the same player for a while now.

Right back and central midfield for me are two of the last positions we need to be worrying about right now.

Suarez is too old, Dembele is way too risky with his injury proneness.

It only really leaves Coutinho and I think there are better options out there to spend that amount of money on. If it meant getting him on more favourable terms for a loan deal for next season, I'd certainly be up for that (especially if we lose both Pedro and Willian after this season), but I wouldn't like to commit a large transfer fee on him.

17 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

I think it just highlights how bad their squad is outside of the half dozen players they don't want to sell. None of those players stand out at me as a great deal to get involved in.

The youngsters are essentially punts on whether they're better than our own crop. 

The centre backs - I've never personally rated Lenglet and Umtiti hasn't been the same player for a while now.

Right back and central midfield for me are two of the last positions we need to be worrying about right now.

Suarez is too old, Dembele is way too risky with his injury proneness.

It only really leaves Coutinho and I think there are better options out there to spend that amount of money on. If it meant getting him on more favourable terms for a loan deal for next season, I'd certainly be up for that (especially if we lose both Pedro and Willian after this season), but I wouldn't like to commit a large transfer fee on him.

You missed the one I would be most interested in (if we failed on Aouar, and IF we even go for a CMF, which is not for sure)

Arthur

I deffo rate him

Trincão also is an interesting one (poor man's João Felix)

massive talent, young, could replace Willian if we don't go for Sancho, but only if a GREAT price, I mean cheap AF, which Barca will not do on him, they just bought him

there are others though I would much more go for than him

12 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

This implies that Marina makes football decisions. I have never believed that, and never will unless I see undeniable evidence. The charge that she picks the players makes absolutely zero sense to me. 

At the end of the day someone makes the deals....and has been horrible at it. Scott needs a good looking at also.

1 hour ago, Vesper said:

Mainz ask Klopp to hurry up and sign Timo Werner 

:(

Fuck Mainz fuck Liverpool.

8 minutes ago, Vesper said:

You missed the one I would be most interested in (if we failed on Aouar, and IF we even go for a CMF, which is not for sure)

Arthur

I deffo rate him

Trincão also is an interesting one (poor man's João Felix)

massive talent, young, could replace Willian if we don't go for Sancho, but only if a GREAT price, I mean cheap AF, which Barca will not do on him, they just bought him

there are others though I would much more go for than him

I rate Arthur, but in my opinion central midfield is one of our strongest areas of the pitch and is actually pretty well balanced both in terms of ages and different variations. 

With the late season emergence of Gilmour and Loftus-Cheek to come back in, we have an abundance in midfield (especially when Mount and Barkley both in my opinion look far better in a 4-3-3 set up than further forward). There are question marks over the futures of Jorginho and Kante and Arthur could be a good replacement for Jorginho but we already have Gilmour primed for that slot. I think if we were to buy a midfielder, we'd be better placed to look at more of a destroyer, holding midfield type than another ball player.

I think with Trincao, unless he is available very cheap, I don't think we should be looking to buy another young player in that position with a lot of potential when we already have Pulisic and CHO there. Sancho is a different animal altogether because he's more than just potential despite his young age. For the make up of the squad I would rather someone with a bit more experience to replace Willian and Pedro (like the signing of Ziyech).

8 minutes ago, Atomiswave said:

At the end of the day someone makes the deals....and has been horrible at it. Scott needs a good looking at also.

Everything that I have read previously suggests that she has nothing to do with picking the players.

I think managers have had more say in transfers than is suggested, but they must also be approved by the scouting department. In my opinion all of the signings in 2017 were approved by Conte, but his issue was that they weren't necessarily his first choices (mainly because the players he wanted to bring in were generally older and the club were more focused on buying younger, emerging players). Sarri similarly would have requested Jorginho and apparently also wanted Kepa at Napoli.

Ziyech has also mentioned how he spoke with Lampard a number of times before agreeing to move (so it's clear Lampard wanted him). I think one example where this is perhaps not the case may be Pulisic (who Sarri seemed to suggest he wasn't involved in) but I think this signing was made on the basis that Sarri wouldn't be there when Pulisic arrived and was a deal the club wanted to make.

I just think that the signings the manager requests must fit into the club's policies and if they don't or are deemed unattainable then a scouted option is the next step.

I also think the scouting department is key at to deciding the value of the player that she should be negotiating for. Her negotiations for say a player like Drinkwater will be dictated by the scouts at the club (namely the chief scout Scott McLachlan) as to what the market value and a "good deal" would be. She will negotiate as hard as possible for the best price given the market situation but I firmly believe she will have been advised to go as high for Drinkwater as we did. Where she could possibly be criticised is the perceived lack of leeway within her negotiations (e.g. if she was given a value of £50m for Alex Sandro as an example and Juventus wanted £55m, she refuses to go beyond the valuation she's been advised to get the first choice target and would rather move to target two. Unfortunately that's just the way it is and whilst it will hold us back on some deals, it also ensures we are no longer push overs in the transfer market.

Similar goes for selling players. We've probably turned down some great deals in hindsight such as selling Willian, but again I'd rather us be in this position with regards to selling players, compared to 10-15 years ago when we pretty much used to give players away if they didn't work out. That sort of business back then, made it extremely difficult initially to transition into operating much more responsibly in the transfer market.

44 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

I rate Arthur, but in my opinion central midfield is one of our strongest areas of the pitch and is actually pretty well balanced both in terms of ages and different variations. 

With the late season emergence of Gilmour and Loftus-Cheek to come back in, we have an abundance in midfield (especially when Mount and Barkley both in my opinion look far better in a 4-3-3 set up than further forward). There are question marks over the futures of Jorginho and Kante and Arthur could be a good replacement for Jorginho but we already have Gilmour primed for that slot. I think if we were to buy a midfielder, we'd be better placed to look at more of a destroyer, holding midfield type than another ball player.

I think with Trincao, unless he is available very cheap, I don't think we should be looking to buy another young player in that position with a lot of potential when we already have Pulisic and CHO there. Sancho is a different animal altogether because he's more than just potential despite his young age. For the make up of the squad I would rather someone with a bit more experience to replace Willian and Pedro (like the signing of Ziyech).

oh yes, overall I agree

in MF we need a DMF, a real cruncher who also can pass well and play in a two man pivot

Kante is refusing to play NOW, and it isn't like COVID-19 is going to be better in the fall and winter UNLESS there is a vaccine, and that, despite all the hype, is unlikely (the quickest ever in history took 4 years)

This is due to what is almost always the case with pandemics, a 2nd wave

he (Kante) could well and truly fuck us and just refuse to play period (I do not think he is that insane, but who knows)

plus we are talking about (supposedly) sell Jorginho to Juve

I so want Tonali

he is a fucking badass and very physical, far more than Pirlo was (NOT saying he is even remotely near at all to Pirlo as of now)

plenty of other doable DMF options too

Thomas Partey, Florentino, Camavinga, Denis Zakaria, even the hated on (and I admt, too expensive now with COVID affect our revenue) Declan Rice (who I rate a CB more than DMF anyway), also even Lampard's (again supposedly) target of Soumare, who I am not sold on, plus the likely too expensive as well Ndidi

and of course we have Ampadu and Conor Gallagher as well to weigh into the equation

22 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

Everything that I have read previously suggests that she has nothing to do with picking the players.

I think managers have had more say in transfers than is suggested, but they must also be approved by the scouting department. In my opinion all of the signings in 2017 were approved by Conte, but his issue was that they weren't necessarily his first choices (mainly because the players he wanted to bring in were generally older and the club were more focused on buying younger, emerging players). Sarri similarly would have requested Jorginho and apparently also wanted Kepa at Napoli.

Ziyech has also mentioned how he spoke with Lampard a number of times before agreeing to move (so it's clear Lampard wanted him). I think one example where this is perhaps not the case may be Pulisic (who Sarri seemed to suggest he wasn't involved in) but I think this signing was made on the basis that Sarri wouldn't be there when Pulisic arrived and was a deal the club wanted to make.

I just think that the signings the manager requests must fit into the club's policies and if they don't or are deemed unattainable then a scouted option is the next step.

I also think the scouting department is key at to deciding the value of the player that she should be negotiating for. Her negotiations for say a player like Drinkwater will be dictated by the scouts at the club (namely the chief scout Scott McLachlan) as to what the market value and a "good deal" would be. She will negotiate as hard as possible for the best price given the market situation but I firmly believe she will have been advised to go as high for Drinkwater as we did. Where she could possibly be criticised is the perceived lack of leeway within her negotiations (e.g. if she was given a value of £50m for Alex Sandro as an example and Juventus wanted £55m, she refuses to go beyond the valuation she's been advised to get the first choice target and would rather move to target two. Unfortunately that's just the way it is and whilst it will hold us back on some deals, it also ensures we are no longer push overs in the transfer market.

Similar goes for selling players. We've probably turned down some great deals in hindsight such as selling Willian, but again I'd rather us be in this position with regards to selling players, compared to 10-15 years ago when we pretty much used to give players away if they didn't work out. That sort of business back then, made it extremely difficult initially to transition into operating much more responsibly in the transfer market.

I agree with much of it...but mate we have done some horrible deals under Marina. Some good ones too though. She does not know when to sell forexample, contract situations etc. Scott def is at fault too. Vesper has gone through this plenty with valid or very close numbers. She has zero experience on the matter too. She is a business woman first thats for sure. I just know that under her guidence we have done some ridiculous buys/ sells. Maybe she is getting better or will get better. We will see. 

18 minutes ago, Atomiswave said:

I agree with much of it...but mate we have done some horrible deals under Marina. Some good ones too though. She does not know when to sell forexample, contract situations etc. Scott def is at fault too. Vesper has gone through this plenty with valid or very close numbers. She has zero experience on the matter too. She is a business woman first thats for sure. I just know that under her guidence we have done some ridiculous buys/ sells. Maybe she is getting better or will get better. We will see. 

fuck Scott McLachlan, he was a major driver behind Drinkwater, Baba, Emerson, Zappacosta, Bakayoko, Morata, etc 

I remember reading long ago (I will try and find it) he was against signing Kante and was overruled

I wager he helped to block a shit tonne of sales of dregs too

Chelsea’s Recruitment Troubles

https://allthingschelsea.blog/2019/04/16/chelseas-recruitment-troubles/