Todd Boehly Thread

18 minutes ago, TheHulk said:

You're right thought it's main sponsor but still United didn't seem to struggle to get a 15% increase, while we struggling to replace Three for months now.

The kit supplier was pre take over, 3 was pre take over, Todd had sponsors lined up, pl pulled 1 fans pulled the other. Seriously stop the todd witch hunt. Its rich saying Todd's clueless when you can't seem to work out Adidas is there kit supplier and not there main front kit sponsor.......

Edited by YorkshireBlue

But wasn't everybody shouting about how Todd had won the spreadsheet championship for us because we sold like £200m worth of unwanted players and therefore had reduces our wagebill by 30-40m a season this summer? Not to mention all the pro talk of the incentive based contracts/deals meaning no superstar contracts?

Now because United, who alongside Barca, Madrid and Bayern, are one of the biggest sides in European football have gotten another £15m a season on a sponsorship deal everything is fucked? Or because we might only get a £20 or 30m sponsorship as opposed to a £40m or £50m one?

Lets just face it, that may just be the reality of everything with the clubs imagine after the whole situation & restrictions put on us by the government prior to the sale or after finishing 12th under new ownership where a lot of questions have yet to be answered. 

• 1 month later...

Updated list of Chelsea transfers under Todd Boehly: How much money new owners spent on new players since taking over club

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/soccer/news/Chelsea-transfers-todd-boehly-money-spent-new-players/ndkj2kmboyx76p2uobsqlsf1

25 of August 2023 - article posted/updated.

6 hours ago, DDA said:

Normally can't stand this pillock but he makes some very good points here. Fair play.

One point.

I think he is being too harsh on Cole Palmer.

I did not include him on my lists as Citeh (and crucially, the player himself) said no way he is being sold.

That all changed in the last couple of weeks of the window, as Palmer, after showing extremely well in pre-season and after talking to the club, basically saw no way to playing a lot for the next 2 or so years and asked to be moved.

At the end of last season, if you gave ne the choice between Smith-Rowe, Olise (who I MUST add, was INJURED when we were trying to buy him), or Palmer, I would say Palmer, hands down. Far higher potential upside IMHO.

Looking back on the window, I think the board was off by 1 year (fine margins can make a big difference and this is fine margins, as we are only talking months or even DAYS (see below) ) in setting the age cap to buy.

They settled on only buying players 25yo and under at the time of the window closing, when I would have went for 26yo as the cap (and I am consistent in this as 27/28yo players often (for all positions other than GK, CB, and CF) make me a bit leery).

IF we had set 26yo as the cap, we would have likely went hard for two AMFs, either of which would now be a HUGE asset.

Maddison and Lucas Paquetá.  

Lucas Paquetá would have obviously been more expensive but the most galling part is that he missed the cutoff age by 5 days!

Date of birth/Age: Aug 27, 1997 (26)

Now, that said, in regards to Paquetá, there were two other issues. Big ones, and interlocked

1. His potential suspension for gambling

and

2. Citeh turning his head and wanting him BADLY (and that potential gambling suspension is why (thank fuck, as he would have SO strengthened Citeh, especially with De Bruyne out for a long time) Citeh pulled out at the last minute.

That all said............

There is no excise for us not trying to go HARD for Maddison just because he is 9, 10 months older than the 25yo cap. JFC we could use him now, and he is HG.

Plus he went to Spuds (arrrrrrf) for £23m LESS than we shit away on that rotter CuCu!

Not just that, his salary is £5K LESS PW (£170 v 175K PW) than CuCu's.

My main issues so far with Boehly and the rest, in terms of buys or cocked up buy attempts (I will not include Ugarte as PSG simply offered him nearly twice the salary, noth we can do there, plus we got Lavia, and Aubameyang was just a crap shoot, we was great at Barca, but after he was smacked in the head with a steel bar during the robbery, he was never the same)

are

in no order

1. Not going for Maddison due that stupid 25yo and under rule

2. Axel Disasi (should have went hard for Jean-Clair Todibo or Mohamed Simakan, or if we had not shit away the insane cash on Fofana, we could have landed my number one overall CB want (still is by far) António Silva

3. Robert Sánchez (should have went for Mamardashvili)

4. Wesley Fofana (should have went for Skriniar or Bremer)as he was DAMAGED goods (I took him off all my lists as soon as he destroyed his leg at Leicester)

5. CuCu (insanity) JFC. take that cash wasted, and add on selling Hall and Maatsen, and we could have purchased Davies or Mendes and have had £30m to £40m left over!

6. KK (waste of money on a  clearly spent player, at least we sold him

7 and 8. failing during the last days now on two youth I DESPERATELY wanted after doing deep dives. U still want them SO bad, hopefully we can sort it out in January or summer 2024

Antonio Nusa (superb young winger, only 18)
Gabriel Moscardo (one of the top youth DMFs out there, only 17)

9. Failing to sell Gallagher  (CuCu may still be sold to the Saudis)

and finally

10. Perhaps buying Mykhaylo Mudryk (I still have lots of hope, he has crazy talent and pace, just needs to get right in his head)

Edited by Vesper

3 minutes ago, Vesper said:

Looking back on the window, I think the board was off by 1 year (fine margins can make a big difference and this is fine margins, as we are only talking months or even DAYS (see below) ) in setting the age cap to buy.

Well, don't know if it's actually true, but it's just as worrying as the Foo Fighters physio. This is based on what? Absolutely arbitrary number that looks good on paper. Lord help us if entire transfer strategy looks like this.

Doubt there is science proof that 25 yo is like peak potential for footballers, they are not U21, with 8 year contracts they are 33 when it runs out anyway. It's 25 because not 24 nor 26.

We may be frustrated with dud transfers, but I'm afraid that given bigger picture, the transfer business is like least of the issues at the club.

2 hours ago, DDA said:

Normally can't stand this pillock but he makes some very good points here. Fair play.

good points indeed, many of which have been made here. Like his constant visits to the locker room and his inexperience with all things football.

20 minutes ago, Vegetable said:

Well, don't know if it's actually true, but it's just as worrying as the Foo Fighters physio. This is based on what? Absolutely arbitrary number that looks good on paper. Lord help us if entire transfer strategy looks like this.

Doubt there is science proof that 25 yo is like peak potential for footballers, they are not U21, with 8 year contracts they are 33 when it runs out anyway. It's 25 because not 24 nor 26.

We may be frustrated with dud transfers, but I'm afraid that given bigger picture, the transfer business is like least of the issues at the club.

I simply do not know the 5yo to 15yo youth market (nor do I want to waste time on that unless a club is paying me to go out and bloodhound them, and wifey would have a fit with me gone most of the year anyway, lol)

but my peak years to buy for sure are 16yo to 26yo.

IF 27/28yo and up (29yo no way) unless a GK (30, 31 cut off unless strictly a backup), CB (and then only if 27 or 28yo, or a veteran stopgap buy like Thiago,who turned into massive player, a key for us) or CF (30yo cut off unless a Lewa/Benz type, or a veteran stopgap like the utterly superb Giroud who is still a beast)

then I will usually say pass (I warned on Ziyechs age, for instance, besides the fact I did not really rate him)

So many players, by the time they are 27, 28yo, have CRAZY mileage on their bodies due to the insane amount of club and country games they play in the modern game now. They just burn out (most that are not GK, CB, or CF) by the time they hit 30yo or so.

Edited by Vesper

18 minutes ago, Vesper said:

I simply do not know the 5yo to 15yo youth market (nor do I want to waste time on that unless a club is paying me to go out and bloodhound them, and wifey would have a fit with me gone most of the year anyway, lol)

but my peak years to buy for sure are 16yo to 26yo.

IF 27/28yo and up (29yo no way) unless a GK (30, 31 cut off unless strictly a backup), CB (and then only if 27 or 28yo, or a veteran stopgap buy like Thiago,who turned into massive player, a key for us) or CF (30yo cut off unless a Lewa/Benz type, or a veteran stopgap like the utterly superb Giroud who is still a beast)

then I will usually say pass (I warned on Ziyechs age, for instance, besides the fact I did not really rate him)

So many players, by the time they are 27, 28yo, have CRAZY mileage on their bodies due to the insane amount of club and country games they play in the modern game now. They just burn out (most that are not GK, CB, or CF) by the time they hit 30yo or so.

I don't think anyone is against signing promising young players, but the issue is *only* doing that.
That makes us look like a smaller club (Lyon used to do this very well) and has never really worked. Young players need (a lot of) support and nurturing on and off the pitch. Having players who can be a reassuring presence in in-game situations is fundamental. At the very least, it can be the difference between building up confidence vs losing it.

As a player you always turn to more experienced players esp in adversarial conditions, which for most of these young players, PL definitely qualifies.

Edited by robsblubot

10 minutes ago, robsblubot said:

I don't think anyone is against signing promising young players, but the issue is *only* doing that.
That makes us look like a smaller club (Lyon used to do this very well) and has never really worked. Young players need (a lot of) support and nurturing on and off the pitch. Having players who can be a reassuring presence in in-game situations is fundamental. At the very least, it can be the difference between building up confidence vs losing it.

As a player you always turn to more experienced players esp in adversarial conditions, which for most of these young players, PL definitely qualifies.

Yes, but (not counting 26yos) I destroyed this whole 'Oh there were all these wonderful older players out there that we passed on' claptrap multiple times on here, and in great detail.

There just were not that many at all 27yo and up players compared to top class 26yo and unders, players who would come here and who were available.

The whole thing is a myth as I painstakingly have shown on multiple posts.

It is similar to some who whinge on about not targeting better players, yet, when pressed, they often do not name any (or very very few) that are actually feasible.

Edited by Vesper

5 minutes ago, Vesper said:

Yes, but (not counting 26yos) I destroyed this whole 'Oh there were all these wonderful older players out there that we passed on' claptrap multiple times on here, and in great detail.

There just were not that many at all 27yo and up players compared to top class 26yo and unders, players who would come here and who were available.

The whole thing is a myth as I painstakingly have shown on multiple posts.

It is similar to some who whinge on about not targeting better players, yet, when pressed, they often do not name any (or very very few) that are actually feasible.

Fair enough, but the point is that you don't need to sign experienced WC players, but good experienced players so that your younger players have the time, and support, to develop.

2 hours ago, DDA said:

''Football clubs buyers dont own the club, they have to nurture it, like i nurture my daughter you dont own the club you are custodians'' ''The club is not a commodity''

Very romantic and naive if he believes that crock of shit.. 

Clubs are investments, football is a business. Thats the reality sunshine. They have bought a brand name, and its stock will get worth less than it is now - but as long as the TV revenue pours in....

We were lucky with abramovich - a genuine fan

1 minute ago, robsblubot said:

Fair enough, but the point is that you don't need to sign experienced WC players, but good experienced players so that your younger players have the time, and support, to develop.

well, give me (and everyone else, I am NOT the be and end off of the board, I am just a woman with opinions and try to back them up with lists and facts) some names

amd we can have a great discussion on them and where they would fit in on our 25 man roster

I myself suggested a lot of older stop gap CFs which would have really helped us (and Jackson) out

I think we missed a trick not signing one of them (or some other CF that I did not list)

here is a long list of some who were it there then (some are hard AF to pull)

in order of valuation (al are 29yo and older)

Gaëtan Laborde  
Callum Wilson  
Wissam Ben Yedder
Ciro Immobile
Memphis Depay 
Niclas Füllkrug  
Jhon Córdoba  
Ludovic Ajorque 
Michael Olunga  
Chimy Ávila   
Karl Toko Ekambi  
Arkadiusz Milik 
Andrea Belotti 
Alassane Plea  
Michael Gregoritsch 
Marko Livaja 
Kevin Volland 
Duván Zapata 
Andrej Kramaric 
Paco Alcácer 
Marvin Ducksch 
Nicolás Ibáñez 
Ihlas Bebou 
Yussuf Poulsen  
Andy Delort    
João Pedro   (Grêmio) 
Willian José    
Cédric Bakambu 
Luis Muriel 
Martin Braithwaite 
Joshua King   
Marko Arnautovic 
Robin Quaison 
Edin Dzeko 
Edinson Cavani   
Hulk  

7 minutes ago, Vesper said:

well, give me (and everyone else, I am NOT the be and end off of the board, I am just a woman with opinions and try to back them up with lists and facts) some names

amd we can have a great discussion on them and where they would fit in on our 25 man roster

I myself suggested a lot of older stop gap CFs which would have really helped us (and Jackson) out

I think we missed a trick not signing one of them (or some other CF that I did not list)

here is a long list of some who were it there then (some are hard AF to pull)

in order of valuation (al are 29yo and older)

Gaëtan Laborde  
Callum Wilson  
Wissam Ben Yedder
Ciro Immobile
Memphis Depay 
Niclas Füllkrug  
Jhon Córdoba  
Ludovic Ajorque 
Michael Olunga  
Chimy Ávila   
Karl Toko Ekambi  
Arkadiusz Milik 
Andrea Belotti 
Alassane Plea  
Michael Gregoritsch 
Marko Livaja 
Kevin Volland 
Duván Zapata 
Andrej Kramaric 
Paco Alcácer 
Marvin Ducksch 
Nicolás Ibáñez 
Ihlas Bebou 
Yussuf Poulsen  
Andy Delort    
João Pedro   (Grêmio) 
Willian José    
Cédric Bakambu 
Luis Muriel 
Martin Braithwaite 
Joshua King   
Marko Arnautovic 
Robin Quaison 
Edin Dzeko 
Edinson Cavani   
Hulk  

What would me researching and providing names accomplish? does it eventually get to Chelsea directors, so they will act on it? Even if that's clearly not their focus? which was the main point in the linked video.
I have to believe that a billionaire club has the ability to sign a good player at a good point in his career. It's not really asking a whole lot is it?

We did the same with Jorginho not long ago: hardly a WC player in my book. Kova, same. Our rivals do that, but we don't seem to be able to. I understand the Saudi situation, but that's just an additional challenge.

There are hundreds of potential names; the trick is to find the right one.

24 minutes ago, robsblubot said:

What would me researching and providing names accomplish?

aids discussion, which is, afterall, why we are here

We did the same with Jorginho not long ago: hardly a WC player in my book. Kova, same.

Jorgi was 26yo when we signed him so within my window of age (plus, trequartistas (a very rare type of player), like GKers, CBs and CFs. tend to age better)

Kova kad only just turned 24 three months before when we signed him (he is still only 29)

There are hundreds of potential names; the trick is to find the right one.

not if we are talking about players good enough (using your two examples, so of roughly of similar quality) and are over 26yo atm (as my discussion is about the age limits of targets, which I delineate as 16 to 26yos, as I disagree with the 25yo hard cut off, 26yo is the age limit for me for the positions we are talking about, maybe 27, 28 in some rarer situations)

ones who both are available and who are willing to come there

very very few exist who are 27, 28, 29 (especially Wingers and AMFs and non backup CFs)

and who are viable, available, and willing to come and fill a need for us, again as I have shown in multiple posts

Edited by Vesper

10 minutes ago, Vesper said:

aids discussion, which is, afterall, why we are here

Jorgi was 26yo when we signed him so within my window of age (plus, trequartistas (a very rare type of player), like GKers, CBs and CFs. tend to age better)

Kova kad only just turned 24 three months before when we signed him (he is still only 29)

not if we are talking about players good enough (using your two examples, so of roughly of similar quality) and are over 26yo atm (as my discussion is about the age limits of targets, which I delineate as 16 to 26yos, as I disagree with the 25yo hard cut off, 26yo os the age for me)

ones who both are available and who are willing to come there

very very few exist who are 27, 28, 29 (especially Wingers and AMFs and non backup CFs), and who are variable and willing to come and fill a need for us, again as I have shown in multiple posts

Sure, but it's really not really something I like to spend my free time on.

I think you are focusing too much on a number-Kova came from years playing for RM at the highest level. We knew exactly what we were getting from him, and we did get exactly that. Yeah Kova may have been more about not letting him go given the already overdone revamp ongoing. Giroud was a competent striker to have. Over 30 are fine too, as long as they are performing.

I get that it's difficult, but we have paid professionals doing exactly that. I've been dealing with something at work for the past days--did little else--but that's where my focus and my expertise lie, and why I get paid doing that.

We are down to name discussion, but I think it's a philosophy as stated in the video; the owners want what they want, and given the lack of regulation, are doing exactly what they want.

Edited by robsblubot

1 hour ago, robsblubot said:

I think you are focusing too much on a number

I think you might be misunderstanding me

my first point the whole time had only to do with the cutoff age being one year too low

26 versus 25

that said

there were a TONNE of 26yo and under players with lots of experience that we could have purchased

far more experience than some of the pure youth we bought

I disagree with a lot of the non youth buys (and some non buys as well, very much so, including a 28yo, Skriniar (the only outfield player I rated who was 27yo or older and was available and who would have come here) and an great, experienced AMF like Maddison)

the following all were bad buys, and none of them are 'youth'

Axel Disasi (unless he rapidly improves)
Robert Sánchez       
Wesley Fofana 
Marc Cucurella  
Kalidou Koulibaly 
Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang  
Denis Zakaria   (stupid loan as we never played him enough)

plus

Mykhaylo Mudryk (potentially looking like a massive bust, but I still have hope)

now...............

there so many other (non youths, but also almost all 26 and under) ones I would have preferred, players with a lot of experience

I so do NOT want to buy only youth to replace those shit buys above, not at all

my other point was different

I am calling out this myth that there was a lot of 27yo and older (up to 30yo, as after that, save for GKers, a small amount of some CFs, and a smaller amount of CBs, we are talking about mainly players in real or soon real decline) players who were good enough, available, and willing to come here

there just were hardly any IMHO

one 30yo (Oblak)

no 29 yos

two 28 yos (Maignan and Skriniar)

no 27 yos

Edited by Vesper