Aston Villa 2-1 Chelsea

Jase

Just now, Vybz Kartel said:

My biggest problem is we have become bottlers in the last 3 years, if this was 5 years ago we beat Villa 6-0. We are missing something from that group of players 

We lack leaders, big game experience and winning mentality 

3 minutes ago, Vybz Kartel said:

We bottled the game with Villa an arguably bigger game than the Champ League final

We did. A week before the actual final. I seriously doubt the players did not have the City game in their heads already. They should not but but they are young and this will be the biggest game of their careers to date. It is the coach's job to not let it distract them but hey ho...

6 minutes ago, Mana said:

Why can't WE punch above OUR weight? Why these gutless players fail to have heart against Arsenal and Leicester (FA Cup)?

Also who gives two shits about the CL final if we don't win it.

That's the difference. We HAVE to win it. THEY won a trophy (against us!)

Well, it depends on how much value do you put in the FA Cup. Losing a final always sucks, but to me the big ones were always the league and the CL and winning those is what separates a great season from a decent one. After all the shocking and pathetic displays we still have a chance of winning a big one and in all fairness that'd definitely be punching way above our weight. 

Edited by different level

All these things we lack is to be expected from a young team with elders who don't have these qualities. 

Things Silva is a leader but isn't in his hungrier years.

We need a striker who is going to show bottle and take the responsibility on his shoulders come lose or win.

Then we need a midfielder in the center who ha similar qualities and I honestly think we can become Champions again.

Just now, cosmicway said:

What was in favour of Bayern was the home ground.

you know, I am a bit contrarian there

it put SO much pressure on them, and they cracked like a fucking egg

we had so much less pressure on us

no one thought we had a snowball's chance in hell

wifey (GF at the time, it was that long ago, LOLOL) was the only one of us at the house (we had like 30 people over for a party) who was saying we would win for sure, it was a lock

we all said she had smoked too much skunk (she had, she was high as a kite!)

and I remember the presenters saying it was not at all a 'normal' Bayern crowd

there were a tonne of Chels fans there (at least far more than if it was a league away game), plus so many VIP 'big game only' casuals in that Bayern contingent

I recall Gen Hoddle saying it was halfway to being like a yank football team playing a Super Bowl in their home stadium

8 minutes ago, whats happening said:

you can say this for about 90% of our games since diego costa was sold. 

6 minutes ago, LAM09 said:

It's been the same story since Costa left. Some people saying Lewandowski would be a bad signing because of his advancing years. They need a shake. 😐

The funny thing with this is people think it's only down to having a clinical striker. Sure, it'll help but one person can't do it all. That striker can't be scoring every goal when the others like Mount, Pulisic are fluffing easy chances. Today is probably a good example. Werner barely got a decent chance to score despite getting into good positions while the likes of Pulisic, Mount, Havertz and even Chilwell somehow fluffed their lines in front of goal. 

Still can’t believe giroud wasn’t brought on against a super low defense line. So strange… 

btw I do agree we have other issues aside from striker position, but in today’s game the way villa defended asked for a giroud type of player.

Edited by robsblubot

Just now, Jas said:

The funny thing with this is people think it's only down to having a clinical striker. Sure, it'll help but one person can't do it all. That striker can't be scoring every goal when the others like Mount, Pulisic are fluffing easy chances. Today is probably a good example. Werner barely got a decent chance to score despite getting into good positions while the likes of Pulisic, Mount, Havertz and even Chilwell somehow fluffed their lines in front of goal. 

Werner had a massive chance at 0-0 IIRC and fluffed it. A lot changes when you're actually ahead.

2 minutes ago, LAM09 said:

Werner had a massive chance at 0-0 IIRC and fluffed it. A lot changes when you're actually ahead.

It was a half chance at best from a high ball, IIRC.

The others mentioned had more glaring chances/misses.

1 minute ago, Jas said:

i was not thinking about only a striker. there is no goalscorer in our 11 tonight. 0. 

also, maybe this was explained already but why is azpi playing rwb and james cb. we are taking away from ourselves james' crossing...

Every time someone tweets those stats about our top scorers this season I just cringe. It’s ridiculous. Jorginho, with 7 pens, is our leading scorer. For a club with hundreds of millions of pounds in attacking talent.

The likes of Lingard and Bamford were scoring with ease. A 35 year old Cavani scoring goals. Gümdogan from CM scoring for fun.

It’s amateurish to see a massive club like ourselves with a pathetic attack like this. Every team in the top half has a reliable goal scorer except for us. That’s totally ridiculous. We need to do what we did with Diego Costa and quickly identify and execute in the market.

Just now, Pizy said:

Every time someone tweets those stats about our top scorers this season I just cringe. It’s ridiculous. Jorginho, with 7 pens, is our leading scorer. For a club with hundreds of millions of pounds in attacking talent.

The likes of Lingard and Bamford were scoring with ease. A 35 year old Cavani scoring goals. Gümdogan from CM scoring for fun.

It’s amateurish to see a massive club like ourselves with a pathetic attack like this. Every team in the top half has a reliable goal scorer except for us. That’s totally ridiculous. We need to do what we did with Diego Costa and quickly identify and execute in the market.

May have cost all that money..lack the talent!

1 minute ago, Jas said:

let's face it, we are a uniquely flawed but still super dangerous team

and arguably THE most frustrating watch in a Big 5 league (counting the top 7 or so in each league)

like I always say

most complicated team on the planet

huge players who are underperforming, huge AMOUNT of players overall (66, yes 66! need to be sorted in different ways)

owner who is globally harassed due to Putin ties

massively ageing, tiny stadium

huge rep to defend based off last 24, 25 years (remember we were winning euro trophies and domestic cups before Roman) each time we walk out on the pitch

1 minute ago, Pizy said:

Not many quality strikers out there and those that are cost a bomb or are going somewhere else

10 minutes ago, LAM09 said:

Character

+ top quality players. 

We have too many 6/10 level players who every now then play a bit better than that.