Mikel John Obi

Badboy

And in the majority of those matches, his contribution was more than that of Ramires or MIkel; I know you like to go against the grain, but it's hard to argue otherwise. It's the fact that he's come in mid-season, meaning he is still adapting to the team and PL but manages to still be head and shoulders above our current CMs - that's what makes him special. He's only going to get better with time.

It doesnt matter. Not enough matches to evaluate player consistence. If you take 4 Torres matches in a row you might think he has been superb, but as soon as you see the bigger picture you will realize that the real story is really different.

What? Malouda had his best season in 2010 under Ancelotti. Also, Kalou wasn't exactly Garrincha, but the kid had some talent and all in all was certainly worth the little sum we paid for him.

No you're forgetting something, Malouda was here last year some just don't know about it. Because he decided to stay with us only to keep his wages instead of agreeing to transfer to other clubs. So he was placed in reserves and he never played a single game with any of us.

I do wonder if you are genuinely trolling us in this thread. He actually did have a good game and I complimented him for it, but I said he needed to do it consistently and he simply hasn't.

Tactically you would expect Everton to either try and retain possession (in which case we need to put constant pressure on them) or it'll be another game where we create plenty of chances without any breakthrough. In neither case would I choose Mikel to start. For me it's Matic and one other (preferably Lamps).

Well Matic has played poorly in the past two game so Mikel might start in his place. On the other hand, Matic is not available for the midweek game in the CL, so it could go either way, but I think we'll definitely need the physicality of either Mikel or Matic against Everton. I personally think that Nemanja will start, but I wouldn't bet against Obi.

Good point. If you completely ignore our best performance of the season then he's only looked great against Newcastle. That's 2 of his 3 Premier League starts but yeah, he looked a little off against West Brom.

Look, Matic has looked a class above in limited appearances. He hasn't been perfect but he's shown some nice touches and also a willingness to do things like press the ball and also show a bit of adventure going forward. That already makes him better than Mikel in my book.

As for Ramires, EVERYONE on this forum knows exactly who he is. No-one will question his work ethic, his engine, his pace or his determination. But there's that bit of the game where the ball either by design or by error rolls to his feet and he's asked to do something with it. That's where he's massively inconsistent, literally from touch to touch.

Matic is better than Mikel as player, and I dont think anyone in the world will question that.

As you said, Ramires weaknesses are well known, but its strange that months ago people were happy with his game, but now people want a better player because of Matic. This is what I find really odd.

Well Matic has played poorly in the past two game so Mikel might start in his place. On the other hand, Matic is not available for the midweek game in the CL, so it could go either way, but I think we'll definitely need the physicality of either Mikel or Matic against Everton. I personally think that Nemanja will start, but I wouldn't bet against Obi.

Matic played awful in those past two games I completely agree with you and that's why we shouldn't play him.

I mean Mikels performance against Man City was excellent, had it not been for him we might of actually gotten the draw, thank god we lost 2-0 when we did.

It doesnt matter. Not enough matches to evaluate player consistence. If you take 4 Torres matches in a row you might think he has been superb, but as soon as you see the bigger picture you will realize that the real story is really different.

I'm not really sure what you're trying to get at. You act as if Matic is no better than Mikel but then you say this:

Matic is better than Mikel as player, and I dont think anyone in the world will question that.

I don't get it. That is my main point, but yet it seems like you want to disagree with me at the same time for the sake of it.

I think you're completely way off the mark. Like wayyyyy off and to be perfectly honest, it sounds like you're being skeptical of Matic just for the heck of it and not because of any substantiated reason. It's not like this is some unproven youngster who suddenly came out of nowhere, played 4 matches and is now being overrated by the supporters. This guy was the best player in the primeira liga last season and is highly regarded by Portuguese pundits as one of the best DM in Europe. Way before the news even broke that we had made a bid for him, a few on here (myself included) actually said that the club should look into bringing him back. So it's not like we're all praising him based on 4 matches. Even in those 4 matches he played, it's obvious to any objective viewer with two functioning eyes that he's an upgrade from Mikel. Of course there are some flaws in his game that Matic needs to iron out but looking at the match stats from these last couple of games, he's been among our highest rated performers. So I really don't know what you're beating on about. Seems an awful lot like "moaning for the sake of moaning" thing.

Thank you!

I've always wondered about people using this game to cite Mikel's 'quality' (I'm not sure what you're suggesting he excelled at - controlling the game, being a defensive giant, um....).

Bayern created 34 chances in that game, 21 of which were on target. What exactly are you praising the 'best DM/only DM since Maka'?

Was he equally amazing in the Europa League Final? No, because he didn't play.

Sure since when has one MF player managed to stop players like Ribery, Robben and Muller who constantly interchanged and popped up wherever they wanted to? Would like to know, even Sergio Busquets the best holder in the world struggled against them in the next year when they played a much more disciplined style before they reached the final. They created 34 chances that night against us, a team Robbie set up which we were happy to let them come and shoot from 30 yards out and try to create a lot of 'clear cut chances' when it was obvious they would struggle against a very low block. I'll say it again, Mikel gave his best performance for us that night and I stand by that hes our best holding player since Maka. Sure he didn't play in the Europa League final but we were abysmal in the Europa League final, MF was all over the place, had no real control on the game at all so to say that him not playing in that game is justified or even trying to hint at it is a stupid move given how bad our MF was.

What exactly did Mikel do in that CL final that Lampard did not?

Lampard had 71 passes with an 85% accuracy to Mikel's 65 with an 88% accuracy.

Mikel had 4 tackles and 3 interceptions. Lampard had 4 tackles and 5 interceptions.

86 touches to Frank's 96.

Mikel got dispossessed once and had 1 turnover.

Lampard was dispossessed once and had 0 turnovers.

I thought Ash was the motm. So what did Mikel do that was so stellar in the CL?

He is the ONLY holding midfield player at the club.Why do people get so riled up if fans want to see a better player at Chelsea instead of Mikel?

What exactly did Mikel do in that CL final that Lampard did not?

Lampard had 71 passes with an 85% accuracy to Mikel's 65 with an 88% accuracy.

Mikel had 4 tackles and 3 interceptions. Lampard had 4 tackles and 5 interceptions.

86 touches to Frank's 96.

Mikel got dispossessed once and had 1 turnover.

Lampard was dispossessed once and had 0 turnovers.

I thought Ash was the motm. So what did Mikel do that was so stellar in the CL?

He is the ONLY holding midfield player at the club.Why do people get so riled up if fans want to see a better player at Chelsea instead of Mikel?

He provided an outlet when we were under incredible pressure. He got the ball under pressure and had the physical strength and composure to keep it and find the right pass. He played a huge role in relieving the pressure we were under. That is why everyone was praising him on May 20th and saying how good he had performed.

We haven't seen the best of Matic though IMO.

He's doing pretty well but people are overstating it because he's the new kid on the block. He can play even better on a more consistent basis once he's bedded in.

Sure since when has one MF player managed to stop players like Ribery, Robben and Muller who constantly interchanged and popped up wherever they wanted to? Would like to know, even Sergio Busquets the best holder in the world struggled against them in the next year when they played a much more disciplined style before they reached the final. They created 34 chances that night against us, a team Robbie set up which we were happy to let them come and shoot from 30 yards out and try to create a lot of 'clear cut chances' when it was obvious they would struggle against a very low block. I'll say it again, Mikel gave his best performance for us that night and I stand by that hes our best holding player since Maka. Sure he didn't play in the Europa League final but we were abysmal in the Europa League final, MF was all over the place, had no real control on the game at all so to say that him not playing in that game is justified or even trying to hint at it is a stupid move given how bad our MF was.

So Mikel's greatest performance came in a game when the whole team was set up to defend.

Jose Bosingwa probably had his best performance that night. It's an absolute joke to use a one-off performance where we simply looked to stop a team and pray for luck to go our way as the best example of Mikel's use to us now. And the fact the he's been our 'best holding player since Make' is one of the reasons we've won just one league title in that time.

So Mikel's greatest performance came in a game when the whole team was set up to defend.

Jose Bosingwa probably had his best performance that night. It's an absolute joke to use a one-off performance where we simply looked to stop a team and pray for luck to go our way as the best example of Mikel's use to us now. And the fact the he's been our 'best holding player since Make' is one of the reasons we've won just one league title in that time.

What's really interesting is that his fanclub single hiim out as the GREATEST PLAYER ON THE PITCH in the CL. No-one mentions DD's tireless working upfront on his own or his defending despite being a striker. No-one mentions Frank helping out every player on the pitch and chasing down every loose ball. No-one mentions Ash 's refusal to be intimidated and his relentless pressure on their players. All intangible stuff. All taken for-granted. IT IS EXPECTED.

Mikel's best performance is one in which every attacking player is defending. Says it all.

So some vague stuff then.Nothing concrete to show he had a better game than any of the other players on the pitch who all stood up to be counted to a man.

Ash. Frank. DD. Cech.But it's expected of those guys is it not? It's almost the norm for those guys to be stellar so it's let slide. Mikel was praised cause no-one thought he had it in him to stand up and be counted. Exception rather than the rule.

No he was praised because he was excellent on the ball while most of our players couldn't keep the ball under Bayern's pressing. Keep twisting it which ever way you want, but you can't change the fact that Mikel has been part of our success in the past 5-6 years and he's put in some big performances in some big matches along the way to help us win the trophies we have won.

No he was praised because he was excellent on the ball while most of our players couldn't keep the ball under Bayern's pressing. Keep twisting it which ever way you want, but you can't change the fact that Mikel has been part of our success in the past 5-6 years and he's put in some big performances in some big matches along the way to help us win the trophies we have won.

Right and here you go off on another tangent. Just start deflecting and hope people tire of your rambling. What am I twisting here exactly.? I simply asked what makes him the stand -out player in the CL.

Did I say he played no part whatsoever?No.

Did I question his involvement in any other trophy we have won at the club?NO.

He had an 88%passing range. Did not keep the ball all that well now did he?

Right and here you go off on another tangent. Just start deflecting and hope people tire of your rambling. What am I twisting here exactly.? I simply asked what makes him the stand -out player in the CL.

Did I say he played no part whatsoever?No.

Did I question his involvement in any other trophy we have won at the club?NO.

He had an 88%passing range. Did not keep the ball all that well now did he?

Read your post again:

So some vague stuff then.Nothing concrete to show he had a better game than any of the other players on the pitch who all stood up to be counted to a man.

Ash. Frank. DD. Cech.But it's expected of those guys is it not? It's almost the norm for those guys to be stellar so it's let slide. Mikel was praised cause no-one thought he had it in him to stand up and be counted. Exception rather than the rule.

If you don't see the twisting of logic and logical fallacies in decrediting Mikel then I give up.