Mikel John Obi

Badboy

Mikel is still our best holding player, not getting into any arguments with anyone who disagrees either. There is a reason why hes been playing for us so regularly under so many different managers since he was signed and that we have never looked to replace him*. When we see a Chelsea midfield player play so well against a massive European team like Mikel did against Bayern in the biggest game in the clubs history then we will talk. Best holding player we've had since Maka and I stand by that.

*also don't say to me Matic was signed to replace Mikel. Matic was signed as we were short in CM in the first place, the fact that we got rid of Essien too was a major factor as well the fact Lamps is 35 and can't play every game in a position where he has to be very disciplined.

Je wasnt first choice under Benitez. He wasnt first choice under avb. He is not the first choice under mourinho. You are wrong on facts only.

When we see a Chelsea midfield player play so well against a massive European team like Mikel did against Bayern in the biggest game in the clubs history then we will talk.

I've always wondered about people using this game to cite Mikel's 'quality' (I'm not sure what you're suggesting he excelled at - controlling the game, being a defensive giant, um....).

Bayern created 34 chances in that game, 21 of which were on target. What exactly are you praising the 'best DM/only DM since Maka'?

Was he equally amazing in the Europa League Final? No, because he didn't play.

Thats really strange, because besides the match against City I really dont know why people think Matic is that special. I think he played no more than 4 or 5 matches.

And in the majority of those matches, his contribution was more than that of Ramires or MIkel; I know you like to go against the grain, but it's hard to argue otherwise. It's the fact that he's come in mid-season, meaning he is still adapting to the team and PL but manages to still be head and shoulders above our current CMs - that's what makes him special. He's only going to get better with time.

I've always wondered about people using this game to cite Mikel's 'quality' (I'm not sure what you're suggesting he excelled at - controlling the game, being a defensive giant, um....).

Bayern created 34 chances in that game, 21 of which were on target. What exactly are you praising the 'best DM/only DM since Maka'?

Was he equally amazing in the Europa League Final? No, because he didn't play.

yep, people can bang on about our defence against bayern but the truth is we were incredibly lucky and on another day could of been thrashed 7-0. mikel may well of put in his best performance that night , he actually bothered putting in some effort, but bayerns midfield still shat all over him

Thats really strange, because besides the match against City I really dont know why people think Matic is that special. I think he played no more than 4 or 5 matches.

Good point. If you completely ignore our best performance of the season then he's only looked great against Newcastle. That's 2 of his 3 Premier League starts but yeah, he looked a little off against West Brom.

Look, Matic has looked a class above in limited appearances. He hasn't been perfect but he's shown some nice touches and also a willingness to do things like press the ball and also show a bit of adventure going forward. That already makes him better than Mikel in my book.

As for Ramires, EVERYONE on this forum knows exactly who he is. No-one will question his work ethic, his engine, his pace or his determination. But there's that bit of the game where the ball either by design or by error rolls to his feet and he's asked to do something with it. That's where he's massively inconsistent, literally from touch to touch.

yep, people can bang on about our defence against bayern but the truth is we were incredibly lucky and on another day could of been thrashed 7-0. mikel may well of put in his best performance that night , he actually bothered putting in some effort, but bayerns midfield still shat all over him

Mikel's best defensive performance apparently came in a game where every other player also defended (including the left-back playing on the left-wing, and even Bosingwa having the game of his life) and yet we still relied on being incredibly lucky.

Mikel's greatest achievement is apparently restricting Bayern Munich to 21 shots on target....I believe those people who use this game to defend him also give him credit for farting just as Robben took his penalty, this putting him off. An amazing talent.

Best The only holding player we've had since Maka and I stand by that.

Fixed.

Sorry Ryan, but the fact is Mikel was the only DM we've had since Mak (even still, Mikel was a AM moulded into a DM). You might be right, but that would simply be because we had no comparison for so many years.

However, traditional DMs like Mikel are effectively dying out in the modern game. Would he get into the Munich, Barca, Madrid, City teams? Is he as good as the starting CM/DMs they have? Not a chance. So much more has to be offered now and Matic is a player that offers a lot more than Mikel in every department.

I'm riling up people. Seems successful so far... :ph34r:

It says something when you can get a rise out of people by suggesting Mikel might play. Personally I think he'll be lucky to be on the bench against Everton unless we rest players for the Galatasaray game. He might start in that one but only if we go defensive which I think is unnecessary. For me he's fifth choice in midfield when everyone is fit (Matic, Lampard, Ramires, Luiz, Mikel).

It says something when you can get a rise out of people by suggesting Mikel might play. Personally I think he'll be lucky to be on the bench against Everton unless we rest players for the Galatasaray game. He might start in that one but only if we go defensive which I think is unnecessary. For me he's fifth choice in midfield when everyone is fit (Matic, Lampard, Ramires, Luiz, Mikel).

Indeed does !

Well he was our MOTM in the game at Gudison this season, so I wouldn't bet against him starting if I were you.

A game we lost. Personally I can't see why he would play, beyond resting players for Galatasaray.

In fact I can't complete this sentence - John Obi Mikel should start against Everton because....

A game we lost. Personally I can't see why he would play, beyond resting players for Galatasaray.

In fact I can't complete this sentence - John Obi Mikel should start against Everton because....

I just gave you the most obvious reason: He was our best player when we last played against them.

You're welcome :D

I just gave you the most obvious reason: He was our best player when we last played against them.

You're welcome :D

I do wonder if you are genuinely trolling us in this thread. He actually did have a good game and I complimented him for it, but I said he needed to do it consistently and he simply hasn't.

Tactically you would expect Everton to either try and retain possession (in which case we need to put constant pressure on them) or it'll be another game where we create plenty of chances without any breakthrough. In neither case would I choose Mikel to start. For me it's Matic and one other (preferably Lamps).