• Kovacic
    • Willian
    • Pulisic
    • Abraham
    • Hudson-Odoi (sub)
    • Batshuayi (sub)
    • Mount (sub)

26 minutes ago, Tomo said:

I'm of the opinion that if there's even a 0.1% chance the goal will be ruled out flag it as soon as the goal technically goes in (ala Pulisic Vs Valencia).

Letting teams celebrate only to go back is cruel.

The BBC website is extremely slow and it takes a couple of minutes before 1-0 overruled by var gets changed back to 0-0.

19 minutes ago, Iggy Doonican said:

The BBC website is extremely slow and it takes a couple of minutes before 1-0 overruled by var gets changed back to 0-0.

That might not be BBC mate, it just takes that long for VAR to make the decision!

Do wonder whether our attackers are having the mental pressure when it comes to converting chances. We are creating chances and obviously not converting enough but while it's right to point it out, I wonder whether Lampard's constant talk about it in his presser and the fact that we keep on conceding goals are putting more pressure than necessary on our attacking players to score when chances come their way. At the moment, it feels like we pretty much have to outscore opponents just to win games. We can't seem to win games 1-0 or even just 2-0 right now. All the games of late have been tight and unnecessary edgy when they don't need to be. 

9 minutes ago, Jason said:

Do wonder whether our attackers are having the mental pressure when it comes to converting chances. We are creating chances and obviously not converting enough but while it's right to point it out, I wonder whether Lampard's constant talk about it in his presser and the fact that we keep on conceding goals are putting more pressure than necessary on our attacking players to score when chances come their way. At the moment, it feels like we pretty much have to outscore opponents just to win games. We can't seem to win games 1-0 or even just 2-0 right now. All the games of late have been tight and unnecessary edgy when they don't need to be. 

I think that clinical edge will come in time. In Conte's first season we weren't creating anywhere near the same amount of chances but Costa, Hazard and Pedro were all very clinical in that season (Pedro and Hazard particularly scored a lot of spectacular goals) and everyone else chipped in around them. However you then saw a drop off in the second season when Costa left, etc because it's very difficult to keep that up.

Last season was similar, at the start of the season Hazard was on fire and we were taking a lot of chances but as the season wore on we weren't as clinical and started to struggle far more.

I would rather be the way we are now where the chances are being created but we're a little too wasteful at the moment because as long as chances keep being created they should eventually be taken. There will be games through the season and beyond where teams will take a complete tanking from us playing in this way. There have already been signs such as the Wolves and Burnley games how we can blow teams away. 

14 minutes ago, DanP2311 said:

Most American fans are Chelsea fans right now.

I see CP is finally getting some love here, for now.  Good to see. His upside was always YUGE.

Many came with Pulisic, but I still have plenty of ManU friends and Arsenal fans stay rather loyal. ManU was marketed pretty hard in the states. They must make a killing in merchandise sales. It is like how the Dallas Cowboys are so big in Mexico, they sell a lot of merchandise in Mexico. 

6 hours ago, Superblue_1986 said:

I think that clinical edge will come in time. In Conte's first season we weren't creating anywhere near the same amount of chances but Costa, Hazard and Pedro were all very clinical in that season (Pedro and Hazard particularly scored a lot of spectacular goals) and everyone else chipped in around them. However you then saw a drop off in the second season when Costa left, etc because it's very difficult to keep that up.

Last season was similar, at the start of the season Hazard was on fire and we were taking a lot of chances but as the season wore on we weren't as clinical and started to struggle far more.

I would rather be the way we are now where the chances are being created but we're a little too wasteful at the moment because as long as chances keep being created they should eventually be taken. There will be games through the season and beyond where teams will take a complete tanking from us playing in this way. There have already been signs such as the Wolves and Burnley games how we can blow teams away. 

I hope you're right. 😕

18 hours ago, Superblue_1986 said:

So how do you get more clinical? 

Tammy goalscoring record is very good, Pulisic can be more clinical but how much more it depend on him. Willian certainly can be replaced with more clinical player but will his replacement provide defensive cover, pressing and ball retention that willian provide if not we will concede even more. 

On 12/12/2019 at 4:27 PM, communicate said:

So how do you get more clinical? 

Tammy goalscoring record is very good, Pulisic can be more clinical but how much more it depend on him. Willian certainly can be replaced with more clinical player but will his replacement provide defensive cover, pressing and ball retention that willian provide if not we will concede even more. 

Abraham's goalscoring record is good but let's not forget that he has also missed some guilt-edge chances, notably in the bigger games. 

Obviously we want our attacking players to be more clinical but it's also a risk that we take by playing young players in these key areas. It also doesn't really help that the midfield of Jorginho/Kante/Kovacic don't contribute goals consistently. Mount can do that but is inconsistent at the moment.