• Kante
    • Fabregas
    • Willian
    • Hazard
    • Giroud
    • Zappacosta (sub)
    • Morata (sub)
    • Pedro (sub)

We played quite well, but that's what happens when you don't have enough quality and your so called "world class" talent doesn't bother to show up. 

Can't beat Barcelona at Nou Camp with a striker who can't strike, two full backs who can't cross nor dribble and a "creative" central midfielder who can't create.

This team needs serious improvements. I wouldn't blame Conte at all at this point. he went in with the right tactics.

We tried to score, we had the right approach and I don't think another manager could do much better with this squad against the best teams in Europe.

We simply cannot compete against world class opposition unless we sign world class players. 

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Jason said:

You fellas took the Arsenal reference a tad too seriously. That said, the similarities are definitely there. I mean sure, we made it to the semi finals twice and won the whole thing once within the last 8 years - something that Arsenal can't boast about. But I guess my point is, on the whole, we have not been good enough in the last 8 years, have we? Between 2004-2009, we were one of the best sides in Europe, consistently reaching the latter stages of the competition and capable of beating anyone at any stage. Since then, we have been steadily going downhill. 2011/12 aside, every single defeat have been bad, bad in the performances and the manner of how we approached the games. Lost to one the worst United sides in history, parked the bus against Atletico and got overrun, didn't qualify from the group stage, parked the bus and f***ed up against 10 men etc. In fact, if we include 2011/12, we had bad performances during that season as well and the victory owed much to the desire, determination more than anything else. You can say that we lost to good teams recently, which the likes of PSG and Barcelona are, but the team that we had around 10 years ago would have stood up and beaten these lots today. Would they have folded so easily? These days, we're almost just hoping for the best and pray that we somehow get past the big teams. We're almost always afraid of drawing those big sides. Was this the case 10 years ago? The fact that we almost had no expectation going into the Barcelona tie - even before the first leg - says a lot about our current predicament when it comes to competing with the best in Europe.

It's downgrading to say we're Arsenal, even in the least serious matter. You cannot just throw this comparison out there. Our record in Europe in the last 8 years may be flawed but you have to remember the circumstances of this period, mainly having 7 different managers in those 8 years, Arsenal couldn't even reach our declining level despite having 1 manager.

If anything, we've been the best performing English team in Europe in those 8 years, or we can say in the Messi/Ronaldo era. It's just a reflection of this era: English teams have suffered from 2 big clubs with the best 2 players in the world duking it out while attracting the best talent in Europe in the process. Out of these 8 years only 3 times another club has won the competition besides those 2. It was Chelsea in one occasion and I cannot complain about that.

Once this era ends, we'll see.

17 minutes ago, Azpinator said:

It's downgrading to say we're Arsenal, even in the least serious matter. You cannot just throw this comparison out there. Our record in Europe in the last 8 years may be flawed but you have to remember the circumstances of this period, mainly having 7 different managers in those 8 years, Arsenal couldn't even reach our declining level despite having 1 manager.

It’s not 7 but we had 4 different managers between 2004 and 2010 and 2 of them were duds. But that did stop us from competing with the best? No.

17 minutes ago, Azpinator said:

If anything, we've been the best performing English team in Europe in those 8 years, or we can say in the Messi/Ronaldo era. It's just a reflection of this era: English teams have suffered from 2 big clubs with the best 2 players in the world duking it out while attracting the best talent in Europe in the process. Out of these 8 years only 3 times another club has won the competition besides those 2. It was Chelsea in one occasion and I cannot complain about that.

So because we have been the best performing English team, we should be happy with that record? Yeah, there’s Messi and Ronaldo but did that stop Bayern from reaching 3 finals in 4 seasons or Juventus/Atletico reaching 2 in 3? Did Messi and Ronaldo make us park the bus against 10 men? Did they make us do that against Atletico? Did they make us play poorly in the big matches? It’s not like we’ve been getting to the semi finals or final and getting foiled by Messi or Ronaldo. 

17 minutes ago, Jason said:

It’s not 7 but we had 4 different managers between 2004 and 2010 and 2 of them were duds. But that did stop us from competing with the best? No.

So because we have been the best performing English team, we should be happy woth that record? Yeah, there’s Messi and Ronaldo but did that stop Bayern from reaching 3 finals in 4 seasons or Juventus/Atletico reaching 2 in 3? Did that Messi and Ronaldo make us park the bus against 10 men? Did they make us do that against Atletico? Did they make us play poorly in the big matches? It’s not like we’ve been getting to the semi finals or final and getting foiled by Messi or Ronaldo. 

1. No because during the 2004-2010 period we still had a spine in the team that managers relied on. It was still the case until 2012.

2. We should not be ecstatic but at the same time we have plenty of things to be proud of, result-wise at least. You started talking about our results but now you've chosen to make it about our style of play. But since you've mentioned it, all of our negative displays were because of what Mourinho has done upon his return which was sticking to an outdated method of playing. It's only this season that we actually looked like a team that can produce something in a big match since 2013. I can easily make a case for Juventus and Bayern who have been dominant domestically with competitive boards, unlike us. I can easily make a case for Atletico who offered stability to their manager, unlike us, and whom we've beaten this season.

We were bang average yesterday ... not sure what were we doing in the final third. There was no sync between the forwards, most of time there were all missed place pass. No Co-ordination at all, no one at the receiving end, no creativity. And our world class keeper was just amazing yesterday, please give me a new contract he deserves it!!!

We have so many passengers on this team and that was so evident yesterday (for all those who doubt) ... No wonder we are becoming a joke of a team. If this is the state of affairs of our team then I would feel sacking the manager whom I always supported is the right thing ... though I would also wish that the Board is revamped as well for a better future. 

:( 

Can't find any solace in that performance when Barca didn't get out of second gear and beat us 4-1 overall.

Things are going to get considerably worse before they get better. I really have no idea what path this team/club is going in.

1 hour ago, Cosmin said:

We played quite well, but that's what happens when you don't have enough quality and your so called "world class" talent doesn't bother to show up. 

Can't beat Barcelona at Nou Camp with a striker who can't strike, two full backs who can't cross nor dribble and a "creative" central midfielder who can't create.

This team needs serious improvements. I wouldn't blame Conte at all at this point. he went in with the right tactics.

We tried to score, we had the right approach and I don't think another manager could do much better with this squad against the best teams in Europe.

We simply cannot compete against world class opposition unless we sign world class players. 

i agree with you. and i would add some other considerations:   if you hit 4 posts in two matches,make mistakes like the one of chris and the other two of courtois 

there's nothing a coach can do to beat barcelona and reach quarters final. 

Question is: the club has the ambition to become the best in europe? yes or not? See the market board made and then answer this. 

4 hours ago, Azpinator said:

1. No because during the 2004-2010 period we still had a spine in the team that managers relied on. It was still the case until 2012.

2. We should not be ecstatic but at the same time we have plenty of things to be proud of, result-wise at least. You started talking about our results but now you've chosen to make it about our style of play. But since you've mentioned it, all of our negative displays were because of what Mourinho has done upon his return which was sticking to an outdated method of playing. It's only this season that we actually looked like a team that can produce something in a big match since 2013. I can easily make a case for Juventus and Bayern who have been dominant domestically with competitive boards, unlike us. I can easily make a case for Atletico who offered stability to their manager, unlike us, and whom we've beaten this season.

Did you even read my posts properly? I already mentioned the style of play in my first reply to your post...

In any case, I'm not even sure why you are countering the point. We're pretty much onto the same subject here. I mentioned our recent underwhelming record in Europe while you pointed out the reasons that have caused that, some of which I agree. 

42 minutes ago, Jason said:

Did you even read my posts properly? I already mentioned the style of play in my first reply to your post...

In any case, I'm not even sure why you are countering the point. We're pretty much onto the same subject here. I mentioned our recent underwhelming record in Europe while you pointed out the reasons that have caused that, some of which I agree. 

Your original list of our CL campaigns had you highlighting something in a results-oriented way.

Later you've given examples about parking the bus. If you want to talk about tactics, this very negative tactic got us to the semis in 2014 and technically crowned us as winners in 2012. That's why I think there's no fluidity in criticising both results and performances at the same time.

3 hours ago, Azpinator said:

Your original list of our CL campaigns had you highlighting something in a results-oriented way.

Later you've given examples about parking the bus. If you want to talk about tactics, this very negative tactic got us to the semis in 2014 and technically crowned us as winners in 2012. That's why I think there's no fluidity in criticising both results and performances at the same time.

They are basically all related. Just because it worked for 2 seasons, doesn't mean it should be disregarded entirely. Ta.

8 hours ago, Antonio8 said:

if you hit 4 posts in two matches,make mistakes like the one of chris and the other two of courtois 

there's nothing a coach can do to beat barcelona and reach quarters final. 

Question is: the club has the ambition to become the best in europe? yes or not? See the market board made and then answer this. 

+1000 likes 

On 3/15/2018 at 1:11 PM, Johnnyeye said:

its clear as daylight the team is not at the level required to be at the top, but still with this squad we could and should do much better, like you mentioned the negativity surrounding Conte doesnt help either, and it shows on the players, Conte's days here are numbered unless something drastic occurs, like proper player recruitment and change of tactics and mentality within the squad, if he's still around of course, and with our incopetent board its a big ask, need to clear the deadwood, just like Pep did at City to make the team function as a whole, if player A or B doesnt want to stay here just leave. I just want the season to end to be honest, altough i still have a glimmer of hope we can actually pull off staying in the top 4 and maybe win the FA Cup, but it seems its asking a lot from this lot. Cheers

You cannot compare us to city. Pep remove all his deadwood and spent 100m+ on on fullback. Imagine if we have walker and mendy instead of Zappacosta and Emerson. 

I have criticised Conte for specific games but not for the season. Last season Conte performed miracle with mediocre squad. This summer I  said that as a squad we got deeper but got worse in term of first 11. Out of the top 6, I can argue we are the only team that got worse last summer. Yet people expect us to repeat last year performance. 

Maybe I had vision problems, but there was a moment when we had a throw in, a player making a run behind and wondered why we didn't throw the ball forward towards him as there is no off-side on throw-in.