• Fabregas
    • Willian
    • Hazard
    • Giroud
    • Zappacosta (sub)
    • Morata (sub)
    • Pedro (sub)

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

Even with the attacking approach today, we didn't exactly create many clear cut chances, did we? Looked more dangerous yes but think we only had like 1-2 shots inside the box. It's all ifs and buts now but this leg would have been different had we gotten some luck with one of those shots or Christensen didn't press the self destruct button in the first leg. 

It's 10 times harder to score or look threatening at the Nou Camp than at SB. At Stamford Bridge they started with Paulinho and Iniesta in a 4-4-2 by the wings yet we didn't go for the jugular. It was a very conservative display. 

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course a better wingback could have scored, a better midfielder could have put in better passes, a better striker could have made more chances, we don't have that stuff though, instead of just whining about the result, appreciate the team for putting in everything they had, running for every ball. You can't expect a player to increase his qualities but you can ask them to put in the hard work and the team did exactly that.

7 minutes ago, Jason said:

By the way, this is our third consecutive Champions League exit in the round of 16. We're becoming Arsenal...

Thought we'd match their scoreline at one point! 

May not have to worry about it next season... 

We are facing multiple problems in the team right now in each and every position

- Tibo is looking shaky and nowhere near the worlds best keeper that we claim him to be, he is not going anywhere near that madrid team after a performance like that

- Rudiger and anreas playing together is disastrous, need someone solid and experienced back there

- Fabregas is gifting goals from the 2 man midfield role whenever he plays

- Both our strikers are not top class

We need a complete squad overhaul if we want even a whiff at pl or the europa league trophy next season

2 minutes ago, MrExcalibur100 said:

It's 10 times harder to score or look threatening at the Nou Camp than at SB. At Stamford Bridge they started with Paulinho and Iniesta in a 4-4-2 by the wings yet we didn't go for the jugular. It was a very conservative display. 

Yes, that takes some doing but if I'm going to be critical, what's the point of looking threatening if we don't even have the end product? It's like watching Arsenal play us years ago - play attacking football but become brain dead in final third and we just pick them off on the counter. Pretty much the same thing happened. 

2 minutes ago, cfcs most wanted said:

Of course a better wingback could have scored, a better midfielder could have put in better passes, a better striker could have made more chances, we don't have that stuff though, instead of just whining about the result, appreciate the team for putting in everything they had, running for every ball. You can't expect a player to increase his qualities but you can ask them to put in the hard work and the team did exactly that.

We have n't got but quite undeservedly so.
We are not Aston Villa.
But I stick to the goalie's performance. A match in which Peter Czech became an all time hero, and he performed like a circus clown.

Just now, Jason said:

Yes, that takes some doing but if I'm going to be critical, what's the point of looking threatening if we don't even have the end product? It's like watching Arsenal play us years ago - play attacking football but become brain dead in final third and we just pick them off on the counter. Pretty much the same thing happened. 

I'm done for the night Jason. This is incredibly frustrating and depressing. Shit shit season. The board and the manager need to take a long long look at themselves. Right now the future of the club looks far from bright. We're a horribly run club. 

9 minutes ago, MrExcalibur100 said:

Sorry? I have to disagree with you my friend. It's 10 times harder to get a positive result against Barcelona at Stamford Bridge than at the Nou Camp. They barely left 2nd gear and beat us 3-0.Let's not forget Barcelona were not really that special at SB but how many times did we commit men to the attack or high press them? Only sparingly.  Sadly you've been decieved by Conte's post match propaganda.

It is true that getting a result at nou camp is extremely difficult but if we open up too much we will give Messi too much space. Yes, it is just one player but not any player. I watched barca game 5 times this season including 2 against us and they all the same. This barca team look pedestrian but no team dare to open up against them, the moment you do that you give Messi space to play and you can see red flag everywhere. 

1 minute ago, Alan Partridge said:

Average squad. 

Wouldnt have gone any further even if we had managed to pull it off 

RM look great. City also one has to admit. But we are not useless - given as you say we pulled this one through.

Decent display over the two legs; we were better than the aggregate scoreline would suggest at any rate (and better than quite a few of the other teams that were knocked-out alongside us). But this Barcelona side are just so clinical. Given that both Real Madrid AND Juventus have gone to the Camp Nou this season and lost in similar fashion, I don't think that there's any shame in going out this way.

It's pretty obvious that our problems lie primarily with Fabregas' complete lack of mobility (Bakayoko's sheer rawness compounds this issue in a big way), and the lack of a pacy, world-class wing-back. If we can sort these issues out, then I'll be pretty optimistic going into next season. It's also worth considering an upgrade at centre-forward if Morata doesn't start to show signs of becoming the player we thought we'd signed. As for Courtois....., I just don't know..... He's a better keeper than he's been showing himself to be at times this season, but I don't think that he wants to be here and I'm not sure he ever wanted to be.

45 minutes ago, Jason said:

By the way, this is our third consecutive Champions League exit in the round of 16. We're becoming Arsenal...

Our Champions League record since 08/09 season:

2009/10 - Last 16

2010/11 - Quarter-Final

2011/12 - WINNER

2012/13 - Group Stage

2013/14 - Semi-Final

2014/15 - Last 16

2015/16 - Last 16

2017/18 - Last 16

Only TWO semi-final appearances. FOUR defeats in round of 16. Very Arsenal that.

42 minutes ago, Jason said:

At least we actually had a proper time of it in Europe this season. We've played Atletico, Roma, and Barcelona, whilst also having Qarabag in there as a throwback to the days when European competition was a chance to venture into (and against) the unknown. Compare this run to the others we've had when we've exited at this stage in previous seasons.