Official - Michael Mancienne joins Hamburg

the wes

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wolves favour Mancienne loan

Wolves boss Mick McCarthy admits he would prefer to bring Michael Mancienne back to the club on loan.

The versatile Chelsea man has enjoyed two successful short-term spells at Molineux over recent seasons and is being tipped to return to the Midlands this year.

Reports had suggested that a permanent switch was in the offing, with Wolves ready to match the 22-year-old's £4million valuation.

However, with budgets tight, McCarthy has revealed that he would favour another loan agreement were he to make a move for Mancienne.

He said: "I would like to see my quote where I said I would be prepared to pay £4million.

"I am pretty good at remembering what I said but I am red hot at remembering what I haven't!

"We won't be buying Mancienne. They want to sell him. If they want to loan Michael out again, then that's a different matter altogether.

"I haven't discussed it with Chelsea. From my understanding, they want to sell him and he's asked for a transfer. They want to sell him rather than loan him.

"I would be interested if they want to loan him out again but that's up to them."

Definitely he is gonna get sold. Otherwise Carlo would hv been very clear in saying NO. but chose not to. Sad actually. I think he could be a really useful utility player for us. Not exactly starting 11 types, but for rotations. But maybe he wants to be playing regularly each season. Cant blame him.

Carlo has said a decision will be made on mancienne in the next week or 2. Seems more likely he will move on now though i think.

Kinda sad that 3 of the youngsters you have in your sig won't probably be in the club in September and only one of them has a real chance of breaking through.

• 2 weeks later...

*Source: The Independent*

Chelsea defender Michael Mancienne has agreed another season-long loan with Wolverhampton Wanderers after the Premier League champions refused to budge on a £5m asking price for the defender.

The decision to reject Wolves' final offer of £3m is thought to have gone right to the top to Roman Abramovich himself with Chelsea making it clear to Wolves that it would be £5m or no deal. Mancienne, 22, who has made six appearances for the first team, has already had two temporary loan spells at Wolves over the previous two seasons.

Mancienne would have preferred a permanent transfer as he now feels that he has no future at the club to which he has been attached since the age of eight. His £25,000-a-week wages make him the highest earner among the academy generation at Chelsea and have been a discouraging factor to clubs, including Newcastle, who have made enquiries.

The indications from Carlo Ancelotti is that in terms of preferment Jeffrey Bruma, 18, who made his senior Netherlands debut this month, is ahead of Mancienne to take Ricardo Carvalho's place in the squad.

A regular England under-21 player who was even called up to a senior squad by Fabio Capello in November 2008, Mancienne has found it frustrating trying to make headway with the club. He made his senior debut in the FA Cup in February last year but now finds himself passed over as another generation of academy-produced players try to break into Ancelotti's first team squad.

Mancienne is the latest player to leave Chelsea who would have been eligible to qualify as one of the club's home-grown players under the new Premier League squad quotas. Joe Cole has joined Liverpool and Sam Hutchinson has been forced to retire. Mancienne, who has two years remaining on his Chelsea contract, made 33 appearances for Wolves last year.

As Chelsea seek to balance their squad in anticipation of the 25-man submission to the Premier League next week, they have also farmed out the Serbians Nemanja Matic, 22, and Slobodan Rajkovic, 21, on loan at Vitesse Arnhem in the Netherlands.

puts a lot of pressure on the shoulders of JB with both Hutch and Mancienne not available to us now...JB is not only our 4th option CB but one of only 4 CB`s who has played 1st team football.

does seem odd that he would play in the reserves on Tuesday night then be on his way to Wolves now..maybe his not so great game infront of Carlo when Rohan Ince outperformed him was the last straw for them and tho a lot more experienced than Ince..with Carlo having seen quite a bit of him in the last month or so he has jumped ahead of him in the pecking order.

i do think that as time has passed by, Mancienne has become less and less promising as a CB...i think he could still become a very good player,but not at CB....he seems to always make atleast one "schoolboy error" per game and in DM or at FB others can bail him out but not at CB!

he`s what i would call a "cultured" CB in that he`s usually got good touch on the ball,can pass it about..has good pace etc..but he doesn`t seem to do the bread and butter kind of stuff..if he`s the last man with the ball at his feet,surrounded by 3 players..he would probably try and dribble his way out of trouble rather than putting the ball in Row Z, so that the rest of the defense can regroup.