• Fabregas
    • Pedro
    • Willian
    • Morata
    • Bakayoko (sub)
    • Hazard (sub)
    • Christensen (sub)

1 hour ago, petre.ispirescu said:

Think the overreaction in here is a bit puerile to be fair. Yes we hate Arsenal and we make fun of them, truth is they are not as big as they think they are, but they are not Huddersfield either. 

I for one was not expecting a walk in the park. They were bound to a decent game against top opposition at some point, you can't expect them to be steamrolled each and every time they face a big team. 

Shit happens and we could not win. They did a good job in the first half, we made it hard for them in the second. 

Saw a lot of people criticising Conte for his team selection et al. Give the guy a break - it's only the first match since he came at the club in which Chelsea did not score at The Bride.

He's not had the perfect transfer window and has had the most difficult schedule so far in PL.

People creaming all over Manchester clubs' results - Really, haven't you learned your lesson yet? Titles are not decided in September... 

Barcelona have won the treble after starting to mount a challenge only late in January. Madrid never looks like anything special in the 1st half of the season. Big teams always peak between late February and May. 

Look at Paris last night - if Conte did a bad job with this players, what about Paris at home against a bunch of youngsters? Totally shite, Lyon had a clear penalty denied in the 1st half, missed glorious chances in the 2nd half and Paris won by two own goals.

Can you blame people for criticizing his team selection?   Fabregas against a dynamic midfield?   Cahill against a pacey front-three?  

The lineup he selected was like handing Wenger the keys to his car and asking him to drive. Credit to Arsenal though, they showed up for a fight.

As for our attack, these are the types of games where you realize how far Chelsea are from Europe's elite. A top side would have humiliated Arsenal (just watch Mourinho and Pep do it to them later on this season)

Defensively we're fine, in midfield we should be fine once Drinkwater gets up and running, but in attack, we lack X-factor. 

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

45 minutes ago, Iggy Doonican said:

Great post my son. Someone who's objective and can see the bigger picture a lot of posters should read this and take note.

I'm glad that you can see the bigger picture.   So far this season none of our wins have been convincing (like last season) against mostly mid-table opposition (tottenham being the exception).

Hopefully Hazard starts firing on all cylinders...as our next lot of fixtures look quite rough on paper. 

4 minutes ago, Reddish-Blue said:

I'm glad that you can see the bigger picture.   So far this season none of our wins have been convincing (like last season) against mostly mid-table opposition (tottenham being the exception).

Hopefully Hazard starts firing on all cylinders...as our next lot of fixtures look quite rough on paper. 

Are you taking the piss ?. We slaughtered Everton a team that have spent £150 million quid. We inflicted Spurs first defeat at Wembley and we had nine men against Burnley. Leicester isn't an easy place to go and it would have been far more comfortable if Tibo hadn't given away a needless penalty.

14 hours ago, The Skipper said:

I would've said the same if we had a better transfer window addressing our weakness at WB and another one which is becoming more so apparent every game - wide forwards. Apart from Hazard, I don't think it's good enough tbh. Pedro is getting old so we can't rely on him too much. Willian is always upgradable, and should not be starting. Our squad doesn't have that extra oomph it needs imo. Loss of Costa will become more apparent, just hoping Alvaro steps up to it. Baka has done well in the limited time he's been given but I feel like when he does get those minutes we shouldn't be expecting top top performances every game. 

City and United always had the better squad and they've adequately addressed most of their weaknesses. We've only addressed one of ours really (CM). Still need to improve our wing backs and also get in real extra quality to help Hazard and Morata. It'd be another Conte miracle if we won the league, honestly. 

Maybe it's just a case of grass is greener, but don't really expect us to seriously challenge till the end of the season for the league this time around tbh. 

On balance we are likely 3rd fav's admittedly, but i believe we certainly have a chance and even if we didn't i would still rather we fell flat on our arses trying than just settling for mere top 4, why? Because it could quickly become a habit and subconsciously the 'top 4 will do' mentality will seep it's way around the club. Look at Arsenal as the big example to that, it was suppose to be top 4 until the stadium's payed off, yet that happened and they were still happy with just top 4. Liverpool another example, last season was suppose to be a season they got top 4 and progressed from there, but talk to anyone associated with Liverpool and they will say they will be more than happy with 4th again, and that was the case even when it looked like VVD and Keita were signing.

We are at a disadvantage depth wise to both Manc clubs and in quality to City, but that's where the coaching comes in. Tottenham by right's should be 6th if not 7th but they punch above there weight due to excellent coaching and honestly? Rivalry aside i am certain they were winning it or coming very, very close (last day narrow loss) this season had they stayed at WHL (they still might), the trajectory they were on was ominous. I believe the minimum points tally we should be raking up is 83, which will see us in or around a title race bar a side reapeating our sheer consistency of last season.

10 hours ago, Reddish-Blue said:

Can you blame people for criticizing his team selection?   Fabregas against a dynamic midfield?   Cahill against a pacey front-three?  

The lineup he selected was like handing Wenger the keys to his car and asking him to drive. Credit to Arsenal though, they showed up for a fight.

As for our attack, these are the types of games where you realize how far Chelsea are from Europe's elite. A top side would have humiliated Arsenal (just watch Mourinho and Pep do it to them later on this season)

Defensively we're fine, in midfield we should be fine once Drinkwater gets up and running, but in attack, we lack X-factor. 

Maybe Conte had a bad day, too. It happens. It is a human thing. Chelsea do not possess the best squad in world football, nor have made stellar transfer windows lately. Also Conte does not earn absurd wages. So my point is that Conte, at least in my view, should not be under any pressure, especially coming from us, the fans.

It's only a year and a couple of months since he's been with Chelsea and IMHO he's changed the club a lot, both in style of play and mentality. First season in England - wins the league title with a record breaking 30 wins in a season. And scores 85 goals, Chelsea's second best tally in the Abramovich era. Only after Carlo's Chelsea.

Some might say it's only because Chelsea have had no European nights and a lot of time to rest, but if you ask me these numbers do not come by accident. Conte has truly reinvigorated this club and will surely continue to do so, this is why I find it pathetic to criticise this man after a bad result.

It really means we are a fickle bunch if we can't digest a draw against a big rival. Derby matches are always imprevisible because of their nature and rivalry, maybe the problem is the fans that think Arsenal are some sort of Watford in disguise and not Conte.

3 hours ago, petre.ispirescu said:

Maybe Conte had a bad day, too. It happens. It is a human thing. Chelsea do not possess the best squad in world football, nor have made stellar transfer windows lately. Also Conte does not earn absurd wages. So my point is that Conte, at least in my view, should not be under any pressure, especially coming from us, the fans.

It's only a year and a couple of months since he's been with Chelsea and IMHO he's changed the club a lot, both in style of play and mentality. First season in England - wins the league title with a record breaking 30 wins in a season. And scores 85 goals, Chelsea's second best tally in the Abramovich era. Only after Carlo's Chelsea.

Some might say it's only because Chelsea have had no European nights and a lot of time to rest, but if you ask me these numbers do not come by accident. Conte has truly reinvigorated this club and will surely continue to do so, this is why I find it pathetic to criticise this man after a bad result.

It really means we are a fickle bunch if we can't digest a draw against a big rival. Derby matches are always imprevisible because of their nature and rivalry, maybe the problem is the fans that think Arsenal are some sort of Watford in disguise and not Conte.

On any other occasion i would have agreed with you, but i think that this time you are massively exaggerating with your interpretation of how people reacted after the match. There was no overreaction whatsoever like you said in a previous post, nor was there any kind of uproar about the draw, exactly because of what you said about Conte. Every single Chelsea supporter trusts him and holds him in such a high regard, that is willing to forget and forgive any bad result, the perfect example being last year's cup final. Losing a big trophy to arsenal of all teams,  was something unthinkable and unforgivable some time ago, yet everyone was willing to move past it very fast just because of Conte. I really doubt the reaction would have been the same if we had someone else in his place.

The main focus of the vast majority of the posts i read after match was about the team selection, NOT about the result like you claim. Everyone was baffled by the starting eleven and with a good reason. Sure, Conte is allowed to have a bad day and make mistakes, but we have moved past the point of certain decisions being just simple mistakes, we are talking about things that are regarded as universal truths by now. Fabregas and Kante cannot operate in a two man midfield, especially against big teams. No matter how many times he pairs them together, it is never going to work. Even if Bakayoko was not fit to play for 90 minutes, i can't understand why Conte didn't start him and  then substitute him after 60-70 minutes.

About the selection of Cahill, i don't really have to explain much, it is just unacceptable. If Conte is being forced to play him against his will just because he is the captain, then he needs to put his foot down and refuse to do so. Everyone will back him up, after all noone is more important than the club even if he is the captain. I don't even want to think about the possibility of Conte selecting Cahill out of merit because then i will truly doubt his mental stability :D

Again, i don't think that there is a reason for overreaction or over analyzing people's reaction, i find it perfectly normal for someone to have thoughts like those i mentioned above, Noone is calling for Conte's head or anything, everyone loves the guy.

On 18/09/2017 at 2:23 AM, The Skipper said:

I would've said the same if we had a better transfer window addressing our weakness at WB and another one which is becoming more so apparent every game - wide forwards. Apart from Hazard, I don't think it's good enough tbh. Pedro is getting old so we can't rely on him too much. Willian is always upgradable, and should not be starting. Our squad doesn't have that extra oomph it needs imo. Loss of Costa will become more apparent, just hoping Alvaro steps up to it. Baka has done well in the limited time he's been given but I feel like when he does get those minutes we shouldn't be expecting top top performances every game. 

City and United always had the better squad and they've adequately addressed most of their weaknesses. We've only addressed one of ours really (CM). Still need to improve our wing backs and also get in real extra quality to help Hazard and Morata. It'd be another Conte miracle if we won the league, honestly. 

Maybe it's just a case of grass is greener, but don't really expect us to seriously challenge till the end of the season for the league this time around tbh. 

Agreed.

it was never going to be possible to solve all our issues in one window though naturally we fans hoped to see more progress. The club now has to stay calm and look for incremental gains over the next few windows.

There was a headline recently which claimed Roman was 'demanding answers' over the perceived failings in the summer window. That seems to me to be a typically sensationalist and silly way to look at things. I do though think the leaders of any club would routinely want to review their operations at the end of every transfer window and that must include ours.

We have much to consider seriously, starting with understanding why we are unattractive to the most highly sought after players. We here can speculate about this as much as we like but the club has to get the right answers and develop the right responses. Repairing our image will be the work of years, not a single season.

On 9/19/2017 at 3:47 AM, petre.ispirescu said:

The thing is this is not the 1st time, I'll give Conte a pass if this is 1st or 2nd but It is 3 consecutive game against Arsenal. So it is all come down to Conte. Nothing change since fa cup final, Wenger play the same card, pacy forward so we cannot push higher up, mimic our formation, tons of one on one battle everywhere but nothing change untill Bakayoko came on for the 2nd half.