Stoke v Chelsea

Jase

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a perfect line-up if we knew how to use wingplay and intensity.

I still don't understand our misguided intensity.

The Top 4 attackers will press.

The back 6 will simply stay at home and watch them.

It's so infuriating to watch.

Exactly, we should attack, defend and press together as a team.

It does seem quite a strange tactic because the opposition tend to play past it very easily. It's nothing new for a Mourinho side, though, and it has sometimes proved successful in the past. Here's an extract of some analysis of Real's 2-1 win away to Barca in 2012:

"Mourinho is seemingly happy with the way Real often use a ‘broken press’ – the front four close down, but then the two holding midfielders stand off and make sure they stay close to the defence. This has been obvious in the past couple of months and particularly at Bayern in midweek, and though it looks far from ideal, it’s happened so often that Mourinho must endorse it. It’s at odds with his usual insistence on being compact, and it can give Barca’s deep midfielders time on the ball, but it did result in a couple of Barca errors when passing out of the back." http://www.zonalmarking.net/2012/04/22/barcelona-1-2-real-madrid-real-on-brink-of-title/

Exactly, we should attack, defend and press together as a team.

I think it's clear that JM is scared of our defenders' ability to defend one v one. Azpi and Zouma are the only defenders that inspire confidence in that regard.

But that doesn't excuse the lack of cohesivness on the pitch. I don't know how as a manager he allows such blatant disjointedness to foster week after week after week.

It does seem quite a strange tactic because the opposition tend to play past it very easily. It's nothing new for a Mourinho side, though, and it has sometimes proved successful in the past. Here's an extract of some analysis of Real's 2-1 win away to Barca in 2012:

"Mourinho is seemingly happy with the way Real often use a broken press the front four close down, but then the two holding midfielders stand off and make sure they stay close to the defence. This has been obvious in the past couple of months and particularly at Bayern in midweek, and though it looks far from ideal, its happened so often that Mourinho must endorse it. Its at odds with his usual insistence on being compact, and it can give Barcas deep midfielders time on the ball, but it did result in a couple of Barca errors when passing out of the back." http://www.zonalmarking.net/2012/04/22/barcelona-1-2-real-madrid-real-on-brink-of-title/

Wow. That's very telling.

I seriously thought JM's ideal Chelsea side would mirror our Arsenal 6-0. And at times last season we did mirror that style, but it's clearly been thrown out the window, and not the goal anymore.

I mean, when that 'broken press' was applied last season, at least out CMs were effective. That to me has been a major contributor to our troubles as well. (Not absolving JM, but we should've been struggling in 6/7/8th place, not 15th.) last season atleast Fabregas was effective providing assists, Oscar effective scoring opening goals, Matic shutting doen several attacks. All players had their flaws, but were very very effective.

What? But pacquioa said he has been good this season. What do you mean by "deservedly" :lol:

did i say he has been good or did i say 'he has had a stop start season so far and has done well under the circumstances of how bad Chelsea are functioning right now.'??? hmmmm :lol:

as i said keep digging that hole.

Wow. That's very telling.

I seriously thought JM's ideal Chelsea side would mirror our Arsenal 6-0. And at times last season we did mirror that style, but it's clearly been thrown out the window, and not the goal anymore.

I mean, when that 'broken press' was applied last season, at least out CMs were effective. That to me has been a major contributor to our troubles as well. (Not absolving JM, but we should've been struggling in 6/7/8th place, not 15th.) last season atleast Fabregas was effective providing assists, Oscar effective scoring opening goals, Matic shutting doen several attacks. All players had their flaws, but were very very effective.

All that dropped off after Christmas. The tactics should suit the players, not the other way around.

We should stop trying to fool ourselves the manager is forced to play in any kind of way. He knows and likes what he's doing. It's just that this kind of implosion is rare.