Arsenal 1-0 Chelsea

Jase

Man of the Match  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your Man of the Match?

Oscar and Zouma should have started. Ramires should be nowhere near our starting XI. Matic has to be faster in attack or should be replaced. Falcao is as good as playing with 10 men and Azpi is probably on his way to being dropped.

:carlo:<_<

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A truly woeful football match from both sides imo. Next to no goalmouth action. Passing was terrible, set pieces were terrible, dribbling was terrible.

Oh well.... Annoying result yes, but the serious stuff begins next week.

People have overlooked the fact that the pitch was in abysmal condition. Not at all conducive to the type of passing football both sides utilise.

Cant see much changing until the back four change. Because the defence is so slow, we have to defend deep. That means Matic will rarely go too far beyond the half way line. Dave can't get forward to support Hazard, on the left, because he is cover for JT. Ivanovic is not good enough to get forward on the right.

Fabregas should not be in the starting eleven, imo, as he plays too deep, and does not have the pace to be able to break forward, hence the amount of mis-placed passes he makes.

Defending so deep obviously has an affect on the attack, and that is where one dimensional comes into it. Hazard keeps getting the ball in midfield, is immediately closed down by two/three defenders. He has to pass it backwards/sideways, or gets fouled. The lone striker is therefore isolated against 2 defenders, and this was the reason why Costa became so frustrated, at times, last season.

When we get some real pace across the back 4, is when it will change, and we can defend higher up the pitch. Until then it will be more of the same, trying to grind out results.

However, we lost a glorified friendly today ( would have been an important piece of silverware, had we won). :D

How did they master it so quickly... I'm going to accuse that guy in your avatar!

Harsh? I seriously don't think so. It's true that we can't rely on Costa and Remy. Not because they are bad players, but because of their constant injuries.

And Hazard, you can't tell me he doesn't go invisible in games. I was looking for Hazard today! And this isn't the first time nor 2nd, nor 3rd...you can call it the 10th time since the beginning of last season. He's lethal when visible, but the problem is that he has to remain visible!

Its all about sense of reality. Eden had a 7.96 on whoscored, wins the trophies, we play champions, He was one that pulled us through, along with an early firing Costa.

If you wanna call him 'invisible for the tenth time' and think 'he hasn't pulled us through enough'? Fuck sake, what are you concluding from preseason?

First of all 10 games doesn't equal the whole season. Second of all, I don't give a crap about whoscored. There are some stats there that tell a different story.

And I'm concluding that yes! He does go invisible in games! Today was a great example. Arsenal last season at the Emirates is another example. Old Trafford last season, invisible. Etihad last season, invisible. United @ Stamford Bridge, yes he scored the winning goal but that doesn't change the fact that I was looking for him in parts of the match!

I know you have a strong bias about Eden Hazard, and when he's not invisible he is very lethal, I want to see more of him getting involved in big games.

Lol, i have a bias yes, but your point was way overcoocked imo. 'You can call it the tenth time since last season'. 1. As if that was our issue 2. As if that has been really true 3. As if not all really good players have anonymous games

4. Hey, it's preseason!

I personally don't. Imagine if Hazard wasn't invisible in those games I mentioned. Those draws would have been wins! Even today, we could have edged Arsenal if he was playing at his best!

We would be 'better to better' the team instead of yearning for that one players that finishes it for us?

What do you expect- did you see Ronaldo last season or Messi's off period. They are on a higher level but also do have that game when they just aren't in it as well - and just as much, eg Ronaldo or Messi last year! So it happens.

My point is: you are a bit harsh, but this is a forum and its my opinion [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

First of all 10 games doesn't equal the whole season. Second of all, I don't give a crap about whoscored. There are some stats there that tell a different story.

And I'm concluding that yes! He does go invisible in games! Today was a great example. Arsenal last season at the Emirates is another example. Old Trafford last season, invisible. Etihad last season, invisible. United @ Stamford Bridge, yes he scored the winning goal but that doesn't change the fact that I was looking for him in parts of the match!

I know you have a strong bias about Eden Hazard, and when he's not invisible he is very lethal, I want to see more of him getting involved in big games.

You need a reality check about consistency and the way we approach big games.

You're talking about 10 quiet games over a period of 8-9 months with around 55 games played. Expecting players to be playing at top form for 50 out 55 games is just mental.

Even Messi and Ronaldo don't have that kind of consistency.

Our approach in big games is simple. We basically just sit deep and rely on individual brilliance, set pieces or 1 of our opponents messing up.

Our attackers see far less of the ball then they normally do, have a lot more defending to do and also receive the ball in our own half instead of the opponents half.

These factors all have a negative influence on the performance of our attacking players.

Sooo because Messi and Ronaldo had off periods (which are probably short periods anyway), that gives Hazard the right to become invisible in games? I'm not saying Hazard couldn't have an off-day or an off-period, but when it comes to big games, you have to step it up. Last season only Arsenal at the Bridge earlier in the season he stepped up, and that one moment against United at the Bridge he stepped up. He needs to come visible more, and he has to now since Costa, Remy and Falcao don't have their shooting boots on. He hasn't done anything magical at all preseason bar that one magic goal against Barcelona. And I wish he did that TODAY.

I respect your opinion. But I still believe what I'm saying is not harsh at all.

Messi and Ronaldo have world class teammates Hazard does not it's that simple. Hazard was poor today but his teammates did little to help him.

Old Trafford, he was the best player on the pitch bar De Gea. He was constantly a nuisance to their team and was our best player. Had he scored that goal before the corner which led to Drogba's goal we would be talking about the goal of the season but DDG made an excellent save. He just went past 3 of their players with ease. Don't know where you got thta conclusion that he was invisible. Etihad he was instructed to be part of a tactical set up which involved being a lot more defensive and being effective on the counter. What does he do? Put in a superb cross for Schurrle on the counter and we went 1-0 up. LOL, invisible against United at Stamford Bridge? He got MOTM. Not just because of his goal but he was by far the best outfield player on the pitch. Don't talk nonsense.

Did the boys play poor?

I think they tried hard from minute one. But as always when we try but are not sharp enough, we can't string 5 passes together, get found out, concede, try even harder, lack concentration to equalize and get frustrated hence the quality of football detoriates in the end.

Arsenal weren't exactly great but sharper, more confident, scored a good individual goal and defended desperately + they had Cech.

In the end a deserved loss but what saddens me most is that we could not even score. Neither from one of our numerous set piece with all our tall boys against that midget team or from open play where we had far more clear cut chances than they had.

Probably should be fine in a few weeks but if this squad is good enough to retain the league id not k yet.

I was anticipating this game more than any other "friendlies", we just can't lose to fookin' gooners, we just Can't! And now Mou's record are broken.

We've had 3 friendly matches prior to this game, the engine should've been start, heat, and roar. Yet our engine still seems to be cold to face upcoming season.