Controversial football opinions

Victor Von Doom

So, according to you, after this year they'll be even... and in few more, who knows... but, I already know which one will be remembered as the best manager ever... The Special One. :D

Mourinho needs a World Cup to be considered as the best ever, he'll probably manage Portugal one day, I just hope the crop of players will worth the management.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mourinho won with Porto, an aging Inter squad, and created the Chelsea team that won the CL. Now he's building us another top team. Guardiola inherited Barca and just picked the players he wanted, and inherited an amazing academy. Now he's at Bayern after inheriting a squad that won the treble and bought their rivals 2 key players.

Just picked the players he wanted? He promoted several young guys (Pedro, Busquets, Roberto, Montoya, Bartra) in his spell in charge and built the team around Messi where as before it had been built around Ronaldinho. He hardly came in to a team that needed changing as I imagine he could of gotten a few years out of Deco and Eto'o and other guys he sold but he sold them and turned Barcelona into the team they were. Hes started to make Bayern his own too, Alaba and Lahm playing inside as central players as opposed to fullbacks like previously.

Mourinho winning the treble with Inter is just as good an achievement as any of Pep's though in my eyes. Inter were an old side and needed rebuilding but he managed to bring the best out of players that many thought had past it helped with the arrivals of Sniejder, Eto'o and also Milito (who wasn't a spring chicken, he was 30 or 31 when he got him). He got them players running through walls for him whereas Pep built a team that played a different brand of football to anyone which was good to watch (until they got boring and far too intense on ball circulation in their own half) but they are achievements that are equal in my eyes because both were difficult to do obviously.

Here's another one.

Romario is the most clinical finisher of the last 30 years. More clinically efficient than the original Ronaldo, Messi and Cristiano.

He only needed one chance to score in his prime. Regarding the topic, Van Nistelrooy is very underrated and belongs in the top 6 of the most clinical finishers of the last 30 years.

@lionsden sorry for the late reply I didn't get your quote notification.

Basically I'm 23 and Terry in the back to back title years is as good as anyone I've ever seen, he was the one untouchable in the defence yet no matter who was partnering him or at full back our defence was ridiculously solid.

Cech deserves massive credit for that as well.

Here's another one.

Romario is the most clinical finisher of the last 30 years. More clinically efficient than the original Ronaldo, Messi and Cristiano.

He only needed one chance to score in his prime. Regarding the topic, Van Nistelrooy is very underrated and belongs in the top 6 of the most clinical finishers of the last 30 years.

That's not too controversial in Brazil at least. Romario is regarded here as the "king of the box". Opinions are split about who was the best Brazilian striker, Ronaldo or Romario, but even those who think Ronaldo was better usually consider Romario a better pure finisher of chances. I never liked his overall game too much though.

@lionsden sorry for the late reply I didn't get your quote notification.

Basically I'm 23 and Terry in the back to back title years is as good as anyone I've ever seen, he was the one untouchable in the defence yet no matter who was partnering him or at full back our defence was ridiculously solid.

Cech deserves massive credit for that as well.

Imo He was far from flawless even in his prime years that you mentioned and benefited greatly from the partnership of Carvalho, who bailed him out numerous times ( I know football is a team sport, more so defending) and the protection he received from the midfielders namely Makelele and our tactical set up as well. Even if we agree that he was as good as anyone for those back to back title years, that's still only 2 years of perfection.

The concensus all time great defenders performed at absolute elite level for many more years. It's undeniable that JT became increasingly inconsistent and unreliable from 2007 to 2013 before picking it up again after Jose returned. still had moments of world class in between but inconsistent nonetheless.

They are all comfortably ahead of JT on longevity/consistency alone nevermind their impact and legacy on the game itself.

You really are a stingy human being aren't you?

You really are a stingy human being aren't you?

hey marlon, I watch maradonna at his prime like you, even though I wasn't born in his prime, but you apparently were....