Controversial football opinions

Victor Von Doom

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The overrated part and how you feel those mentioned above were superior to Maradona of 86', whereas when you take into consideration the teams they were playing for, the occasion, the circumstances they were in, and the strength of their opposition.

The fact he managed that after the whole 'hand of god incident', against one of the top nations in the World at the time that was England when that was their period of European club dominance, the fact it was against a strong England side listed them as favorites and let alone it was during the World Cup finals, the grandest of stages, and the sole variable that Diego was playing on a mediocre Argentina side at best, those circumstances alone outweigh any you've mentioned imo.

Still to this day the greatest goal in history imo.

Lolololol. That commentary. "Quiero llorar".

Good goal, but not the best ever.

Those defenders had weaknesses and it could be argued that they were lucky to have played with another worldclass/top qality defensove partners in their prime.

JT obviously wasnt very athletic and slow. Fedinand had concentration issues and was a rash defender at times especially in westham and leeds days and adams had similar weakness to JT.

The top tier defenders had no weakness at all. None that anyone could pick out

anyway and were more consistent as well.

Terry didn't have pace but he more than made up for it with his anticipation and football brain, i remember David Villa saying something on them lines years back when asked who the toughest defender he ever faced was. Adams was the same he had such a high footballing brain that his lack of pace wasn't even a remote issue, both him and JT captained (atleast statically) the two best defences in English football history.

Regarding Rio he had concentration issues when he was younger, but between 2006-2010 he was up there with the very best, at one point he didn't commit a foul for two years or something ridiculous like that.

Terry didn't have pace but he more than made up for it with his anticipation and football brain, i remember David Villa saying something on them lines years back when asked who the toughest defender he ever faced was. Adams was the same he had such a high footballing brain that his lack of pace wasn't even a remote issue, both him and JT captained (atleast statically) the two best defences in English football history.

Regarding Rio he had concentration issues when he was younger, but between 2006-2010 he was up there with the very best, at one point he didn't commit a foul for two years or something ridiculous like that.

Ronaldinho in 2007.

"The toughest defenders I have ever come across were John Terry and Paolo Maldini."

The overrated part and how you feel those mentioned above were superior to Maradona of 86', whereas when you take into consideration the teams they were playing for, the occasion, the circumstances they were in, and the strength of their opposition.

The fact he managed that after the whole 'hand of god incident', against one of the top nations in the World at the time that was England when that was their period of European club dominance, the fact it was against a strong England side listed them as favorites and let alone it was during the World Cup finals, the grandest of stages, and the sole variable that Diego was playing on a mediocre Argentina side at best, those circumstances alone outweigh any you've mentioned imo.

Still to this day the greatest goal in history imo.

Fair enough however I was referring to the quality of the goal itself and not the external factors that makes the goal held in such high regard. My argument is that there are plenty of solo goals better than the maradona one aesthetically and difficulty wise regardless of the occasion and weight of importance.

And the fact that you deem it the greatest goal in history period proves my point. The media pretty much forced that goal down everyone's throat the same way they tried to make everyone accept that Pele is the greatest footballer of all time.

So you think those 3 were as good as the likes of Beckenbaeur,baresi,maldini, Moore et al?

Guardiola is having a better career than Mourinho, and its difficult to be better than Mourinho.

I struggle to believe that Guardiola could have had the success that Mourinho had with Liera and Porto.

Very controversial for a Chelsea website though :)

Fair enough however I was referring to the quality of the goal itself and not the external factors that makes the goal held in such high regard. My argument is that there are plenty of solo goals better than the maradona one aesthetically and difficulty wise regardless of the occasion and weight of importance.

And the fact that you deem it the greatest goal in history period proves my point. The media pretty much forced that goal down everyone's throat the same way they tried to make everyone accept that Pele is the greatest footballer of all time.

TBF, analyzing that goal in comparison to others as well as analyzing Pele's ability to others basically comes down to a subjective view point and rational interpretation, regardless of how you feel the media enhances a specific thing. Only way you can take people seriously nowadays. A reasoning why Zlatan's and Messi's goals were not heavily influenced by the media was down to the fact they were facing a wank side in an average domestic league game (Messi vs Madrid while Madrid was down to ten men)

Maradona carried a weak team both in Argentina and Napoli and led them to their greatest periods whilst showing talent and ability the world has never seen before, Pele was a versatile striker who scored bucket loads of goals yet was constantly blessed by having great players around him whilst many argue he wasn't as talented as Garrincha

TBF, analyzing that goal in comparison to others as well as analyzing Pele's ability to others basically comes down to a subjective view point and rational interpretation, regardless of how you feel the media enhances a specific thing. Only way you can take people seriously nowadays. A reasoning why Zlatan's and Messi's goals were not heavily influenced by the media was down to the fact they were facing a wank side in an average domestic league game (Messi vs Madrid while Madrid was down to ten men)

Maradona carried a weak team both in Argentina and Napoli and led them to their greatest periods whilst showing talent and ability the world has never seen before, Pele was a versatile striker who scored bucket loads of goals yet was constantly blessed by having great players around him whilst many argue he wasn't as talented as Garrincha

what does that have to do with the argument though?

I haven't even given my opinion of both Maradona and pele and for the record I feel they both belong in the top 5 GOAT. Their talent, achievemnet and impact on the game pretty much cemented their legacy as footballs elite but that's besides the point.

As for the original point. I believe that simply makes Maradona's goal is an iconic and hugely important goal but not the best goal. There's a clear difference although the two can be mutually inclusive. if goals where judged based on external factors, goal of the week/month in every league will simply be dominated by last minute winners/equalisers and important goals scored in big games but they aren't.

Guardiola is having a better career than Mourinho, and its difficult to be better than Mourinho.

This is controversial, but also very very untrue. Mou is GOD of tactics and pep is just a little cunt.

If Mou was in pep's place in barca and bayern, he'd have better results, thats for sure.

And pep in Liera, Porto, Inter, Real and Chelsea... I really doubt that he'd be even close to Mou's results.

This is controversial, but also very very untrue. Mou is GOD of tactics and pep is just a little cunt.

If Mou was in pep's place in barca and bayern, he'd have better results, thats for sure.

And pep in Liera, Porto, Inter, Real and Chelsea... I really doubt that he'd be even close to Mou's results.

I'd personally love to see how Guardiola (who I have a lot of respect for) try and manage Real Madrid. I doubt he'd last half a season before resigning with the way the club is run and the way the players sometimes behave.

I don't think Mourinho would ever succeed at Barca though, it would make for some good alternate history if Mourniho had got the job over Guardiola in 2008.

I struggle to believe that Guardiola could have had the success that Mourinho had with Liera and Porto.

Very controversial for a Chelsea website though :)

I'm not the kind of person to talk about the impossible, and since changing the past and blending teams isnt part of this reality its pointless to go in that direction, I also can tell you that I dont belive Mourinho could have had the sucess Guardiola had with Barcelona, especially in his first year at the club, but it wont add much to the discussion as we cant know.However, I do agree that the knowlege of Mourinho about the Portuguese league made him an exceptionnal manager in Portugal, way before becoming the superstar at Chelsea, and Guardiola would probably find it difficult to manage a Portuguese team like Leiria or Porto, since his football knowledge is more developped when it comes to spanish teams and spanish football, but its a logical guess, nothing more.In this moment the amount of titles Pep has is near perfection, having won 2 out of 5 Champions League campaigns, 4 out of 5 championships, won 3 out of 5 cups, and a hell lot of supercups, Mourinho, excluding his time at Benfica and Leiria, and only counting from Porto, won very much the same amount of titles after 6 years of coaching, however, with a CL less, and with a style of football less entretaining then the one Guardiola proposed, but I guess this last sentence is relative to the viewer, so thats personal opinion of course. :rolleyes:

As for the controversial part, I dont find any kind of controversy when speaking about legendary managers and comparing titles and paths, even if its disscussed in a forum where Mourinho is the main man and Guardiola systematically reduced to a poessession-maniac overated manager, even if none of us have been coached by him.

You and Ibrahimovic think the same way about Pep, not a cunt, a coward is more suitable for the spaniard, meh ! Again same argument, based solely on the fact that Guardiola didnt manage small teams and he is a one way style of football so overrated.Mourinho is a master tactician, and so is Guardiola, dont ever think all those victories in the clasicos were due to luck, and we often forget his amazing work with Barcelona B, that resulted in some talents for the A team, buts thats the hidden part.His first year in Germany is a sucess, and the records he is creating with bayern domestically are remarkable.The black mark will obviously be the defeat against Madrid, that came because of a lack of tactical preparation for Guardiola ( A week after losing Tito Vilanova, an important factor ignored by the majority because its please to say that Pep was "humiliated" )

I'm not the kind of person to talk about the impossible, and since changing the past and blending teams isnt part of this reality its pointless to go in that direction, I also can tell you that I dont belive Mourinho could have had the sucess Guardiola had with Barcelona, especially in his first year at the club, but it wont add much to the discussion as we cant know.However, I do agree that the knowlege of Mourinho about the Portuguese league made him an exceptionnal manager in Portugal, way before becoming the superstar at Chelsea, and Guardiola would probably find it difficult to manage a Portuguese team like Leiria or Porto, since his football knowledge is more developped when it comes to spanish teams and spanish football, but its a logical guess, nothing more.In this moment the amount of titles Pep has is near perfection, having won 2 out of 5 Champions League campaigns, 4 out of 5 championships, won 3 out of 5 cups, and a hell lot of supercups, Mourinho, excluding his time at Benfica and Leiria, and only counting from Porto, won very much the same amount of titles after 6 years of coaching, however, with a CL less, and with a style of football less entretaining then the one Guardiola proposed, but I guess this last sentence is relative to the viewer, so thats personal opinion of course. :rolleyes:

As for the controversial part, I dont find any kind of controversy when speaking about legendary managers and comparing titles and paths, even if its disscussed in a forum where Mourinho is the main man and Guardiola systematically reduced to a poessession-maniac overated manager, even if none of us have been coached by him.

You and Ibrahimovic think the same way about Pep, not a cunt, a coward is more suitable for the spaniard, meh ! Again same argument, based solely on the fact that Guardiola didnt manage small teams and he is a one way style of football so overrated.Mourinho is a master tactician, and so is Guardiola, dont ever think all those victories in the clasicos were due to luck, and we often forget his amazing work with Barcelona B, that resulted in some talents for the A team, buts thats the hidden part.His first year in Germany is a sucess, and the records he is creating with bayern domestically are remarkable.The black mark will obviously be the defeat against Madrid, that came because of a lack of tactical preparation for Guardiola ( A week after losing Tito Vilanova, an important factor ignored by the majority because its please to say that Pep was "humiliated" )

Multiple factors played a role to last year's defeat...

Thiago Alcantara got injured. Tito passing. Neuer's injury and rushing him back. The drop of form of Frank Ribery...

Also, Toni Kroos. Toni Kroos lack of speed to defend the counter was huge against Madrid. Which is why I have no clue why RM bought him and let both alonso/di maria, who are better go to different teams...

Multiple factors played a role to last year's defeat...

Thiago Alcantara got injured. Tito passing. Neuer's injury and rushing him back. The drop of form of Frank Ribery...

Also, Toni Kroos. Toni Kroos lack of speed to defend the counter was huge against Madrid. Which is why I have no clue why RM bought him and let both alonso/di maria, who are better go to different teams...

I believe Pep can control what could happen on the pitch and therefore prepare a plan B in case of injuries or drop in form, but losing Vilanova is a life's tragedy, and emotionally, its impossible to recover in a week or a month, so I think the most important factor in that match wasnt that the players werent good, its the manager who wasnt good, as he declared later.BM fans understood that, as we are all human.