Petr Cech

eldo

Wow, I agree a goalkeeper made 2 mistakes in 15 appearances!

It obviously proves he is a shit player and should be benched...

:doh:

Yes like I really said he was a shit player?!

I can too - be sarcastic but then I would be lowering myself to yours & the other muppets that can't hold a candle.

I'm not disagreeing with you that if he does perform poorly over the next few weeks that he should be dropped (as with any player) as we do have a very capable back up in Schwarzer now, but my point is is that you're trying to make it seem like Cech has been a liability this season when that's simply not true. Apart from a few isolated moments like you've pointed out, Cech has been pretty good this season.

We're not giving away cheap goals (which we've barely given away to begin with, I can only recall 2 or 3 right now) because of Cech tbh, that's more to do with the way the team has been playing in general. Cech has been one of the most consistent performance in comparison to the rest of the team IMO.

If he's been as poor as you're trying to make him out to be, he would've been dropped for Schwarzer ages ago. 2/3 mistakes in 15 odd appearances doesn't warrant dropping.

Look, I never got on his back for any of his mistakes up until now, never said anything of the sort of him being a liability just that he has now made too many mistakes, I've also stated that its not just him that is culpable, however this is his thread so my comments are in the appropriate section where the fact is we disagree. The problem is I believe its 4 mistakes some are saying one (unbelievably) others are saying its 2 & within that they have different opinions on the second mistake, which tells you there is arguably more than 2, no? Now because my opinion is that it is 4 mistakes in a short'ish period, I believe its time Cech had a rest, nothing more nothing less, as already stated if he is selected I will support the decision but it doesn't mean I concur with the it.

Now I have no problem with members disagreeing with me but instead of having a civil debate you get ambushed by sarcasm, stupid remarks & because you state something that the masses don't agree with they are on you like a pack of wolf's, the facts are the alarm bells are ringing, that is all.

I get your point about this whole Cech-Courtois situation but is there really any need to exaggerate Cech's mistakes when it has only been 2-3 because of that?! It's not like he has been making mistakes in every game.

And people here are acting like the media these days. Make 1-2 mistakes, suddenly everything is being blown out of proportion.

Tbh it wasn't my intention to comment on Courtois it was only due to another member quoting me & asking me a question.

Imho its not an exaggeration - its fact, just read what I stated to the skipper. I very rarely read too much into what the twats in the media spout off, I trust my own judgement, I've been involved in football at different levels for long enough to feel confident enough in that, nonetheless it doesn't mean I'm correct. In a few months time when the dust settles & Cech pulls out consistent performances without the mistakes I will apologize & say I got it wrong, which is unlike many on here. It maybe enough that Jose has had a few words because someone that is as meticulous as him wouldn't let it slip his notice & believe it or not I hope I'm wrong.

Tbh it wasn't my intention to comment on Courtois it was only due to another member quoting me & asking me a question.

Imho its not an exaggeration - its fact, just read what I stated to the skipper. I very rarely read too much into what the twats in the media spout off, I trust my own judgement, I've been involved in football at different levels for long enough to feel confident enough in that, nonetheless it doesn't mean I'm correct. In a few months time when the dust settles & Cech pulls out consistent performances without the mistakes I will apologize & say I got it wrong, which is unlike many on here. It maybe enough that Jose has had a few words because someone that is as meticulous as him wouldn't let it slip his notice & believe it or not I hope I'm wrong.

It's a fact that Cech has made mistakes this season but it's also an exaggeration to make it sound as if he has been doing it in every game. Out of those 4 mistakes you pointed out before, only 2 really can be blamed on him; the goal against Bayern and West Brom. The ones conceded against Villa and City are not exactly downright his fault just because he conceded at his near post. All too easy to blame him just because of that as there are factors that need to be looked in at on that.

Let me spell out for you, goalkeepers should not be beaten on their near post, Benteke's goal was not hit with any pace & should of been a comfortable save for Cech, Aguero's was slightly different as it was hit with pace but it was on his near side where somehow he lost the sight of the ball, the ball wasn't far from his body so again he should be saving that.

Now the saves he makes during games is exactly what he his paid to do the very same as our strikers are paid to put the ball away & when their not doing the business they get all sorts of shit thrown at them, so when Cech is making several mistakes in a short period of time, why should he not get criticized too? Joe Hart has been making similar mistakes & perhaps more but he also made some great saves too but he is out on his arse at the mo & correctly so in my opinion.

The problem is when a keeper starts being shaky the defence then lose confidence too & it starts a chain of problems. He is still a fantastic keeper & a legend at this club but at this moment in time he needs a spell on the bench - there is no question of that.

"should of been a comfortable save"?! You and I remember the Villa goal very differently! The way I remember it, it was a first time volley from inside the box that was hit with pace and with a couple of people blocking Petr's view. He also hit it with his back to goal so there was absolutely no way he could have expected that shot. Saying that any goal that goes in the near post is the keeper's fault regardless of how it went in is a generalization that is very illogical.

Yes, Petr is paid to make those save, and so are other keepers at other clubs. But the thing is, very often, Petr makes an incredible save when any of those other keepers, who also get paid to make that save, would have let the shot in 9 times out of ten. He does that almost every single game and so it happens that those kind of saves come very often at a crucial time where conceding could change the outcome of the game. And once in a while, a very long while, Petr let's in a goal that most other keepers would have saved 9 times out of ten. The difference between how often he makes saves that others wouldn't have and how often he lets in goals that others would have saved is why vast majority of football fans would tell you that he's in the top 5 keepers in the world.

I think you're grossly exaggerating the "mistakes" Petr have made. They are a very long way away from being an issue for the club, imo, let alone being worse than Turnbull.

Thought he probably could've done better for their goal. Salah's second touch gets away from him a bit but Cech doesn't move. Nitpicking maybe but that's what you get when you're one of the best around.

Still think he's on his way out at the end of the season in favour of Courtois, who also threw in a bit of a clanger last night.

• 2 weeks later...

The game completely swung on his blunder and it's not the first one this season so it's hardly a kneejerk reaction. Football is a team game so it's harsh to say he's costing us points, but in two matches now (at least) he's made mistakes at key points.

The reason this will get so much attention is because he IS under pressure because we have a keeper who is at the very least as good as him waiting to come back.