Burnley v Chelsea

Jase

Thank you for this. As one of the members of the (small) Ivanovic fanclub, it always hurts me a bit when I see people giving him stick.

But does anyone give him the stick though? I mean, people say Ivanobeast's crosses are usually bad and that's a fair assessment, but other than that he's a solid player and performs very well both as centre-back and fullback.

• Replies 655
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you know what I've been loving here?

Hazard doesn't feel overwhelmed and you see his 'street style' and fun football all over the place. Rabonas, back heels, fancy passes, he's tried everything tonight. He's carefree and free. Cesc is a blessing to this team. We'll see Hazard take his show-game to a new level and I hope he explodes this season as he doesn't have that overwhelming pressure to do everything in our attack.

But does anyone give him the stick though? I mean, people say Ivanobeast's crosses are usually bad and that's a fair assessment, but other than that he's a solid player and performs very well both as centre-back and fullback.

Tons of people give him stick. Of our regulars, he's most likely to be blamed for anything. (From not scoring to conceding). He's a very good player. He does have his weak points but he's an integral part of Chelsea.

Tons of people give him stick. Of our regulars, he's most likely to be blamed for anything. (From not scoring to conceding). He's a very good player. He does have his weak points but he's an integral part of Chelsea.

I always thought Torres, Mikel, Ramires, Willian and Oscar were ahead of him in that list, granted not all of them are regulars.

I always thought Torres, Mikel, Ramires, Willian and Oscar were ahead of him in that list, granted not all of them are regulars.

Torres and Mikel are definitely ahead of him but neither plays much. Ramires I think is close Ivanovic in terms of criticism but Oscar and Willian get much less and much more praise than Ivanovic gets IMO.

you know what I've been loving here?

Hazard doesn't feel overwhelmed and you see his 'street style' and fun football all over the place. Rabonas, back heels, fancy passes, he's tried everything tonight. He's carefree and free. Cesc is a blessing to this team. We'll see Hazard take his show-game to a new level and I hope he explodes this season as he doesn't have that overwhelming pressure to do everything in our attack.

Couldn't agree more!

Torres and Mikel are definitely ahead of him but neither plays much. Ramires I think is close Ivanovic in terms of criticism but Oscar and Willian get much less and much more praise than Ivanovic gets IMO.

Willian and Oscar, yeah, they get both praise and stick. But that's because IMO defensive players usually get less praise. A defender will only be as praised as an attacking player if he makes some sort of miracle, like saving a clear goal on top of a marvelous performance. You don't usually notice that they're playing really well unless you're paying attention but it's easy to notice when they aren't because we will concede goals or come close to it, which is easy to notice.

If a defender is playing well it is just another day. If he plays poorly he will get stick, it's a tough life.

Willian and Oscar, yeah, they get both praise and stick. But that's because IMO defensive players usually get less praise. A defender will only be as praised as an attacking player if he makes some sort of miracle, like saving a clear goal on top of a marvelous performance. You don't usually notice that they're playing really well unless you're paying attention really attention but it's easy to notice when they aren't because we will concede goals or come close to it, which is easy to notice.

Except Azpilicueta beat our Hazard for player of the year in a vote on here despite offering nothing offensively at all. I agree that offensive players get the more positive view but there are a lot of factors. (Newness to the team and age are generally the biggest factors I think).

Except Azpilicueta beat our Hazard for player of the year in a vote on here despite offering nothing offensively at all. I agree that offensive players get the more positive view but there are a lot of factors. (Newness to the team and age are generally the biggest factors I think).

I agree. Like you said, Azpi was one of the new shiny toys, he's young, has tons of potential. And the fact the he was playing so well as a fullback on the left when he's a right fullback also add to the perception that he was really good.

I even voted for him in some polls, but that's because of his never-ending dedication and he's a good player. I'm not discrediting him to credit Iva. Both are great, but Iva isn't appreciated as he should and gets too much stick for his offensive shortcomings.