Filipe Luís

Jase

Let's not kid ourselves, Luis was signed to be first choice but he has yet to perform at the level required to get that spot. In the matches he's played in the PL he's looked nowhere near as solid as Azpi and is bullied off the ball too easily. He's obviously struggling with the physicality of the league which is even obvious in what he says. I've heard him being asked several times about the difference between Spain and England and three of the answers that stuck with me are: "the physicality and intensity", "in England the players just don't give up" and "here the refs don't blow fouls that given in Spain."

Against Sunderland he could have handled it, they aren't great offensively. He has been great when he plays in the CL, he has to play to adjust to the PL, he's good enough to be given that opportunity.

Against Sunderland he could have handled it, they aren't great offensively. He has been great when he plays in the CL, he has to play to adjust to the PL, he's good enough to be given that opportunity.

Jose doesn't rotate back four. And we know he can play in the CL, it's the PL he's struggling with.

That's fine but how will he ever adjust if he isn't given the opportunity to?

Unless you're Torres, no one is given the opportunity to adjust at Chelsea!

Think he has been signed to be a sub by Jose, I mean you don't think Jose will drop Dave or Iva, his 2 favorite defenders which he heaps praises on recently? Hope he is patience though and doesn't kick up a fuss by next summer.

Perhaps Jose's plan is to shift Brana to CB once he sees Terry decline.. Opening up an opportunity for Luis.

Jose signed him because we needed a 5th top class senior defender. 4 seniors for 1 full season is not enough. We would get into trouble if one of them gets injured/suspended/a bad run of games. Last year we were very shaky when JT was injured. ( Luiz in CB )

We have a great balance now, 5 seniors who represent 2RB's, 2LB's, 3 CB's and 2 juniors in Zouma and Ake to learn from them and get some minutes here and there.

Yep...eventually. Notice that last word, think Luis needs to be patience, maybe his real time won't come until next season.

Said it before, but this is too similar to Azpilicueta last season. Couldn't get a look in then the opportunity came along..

The problem Luis has when it comes to getting a proper run in the team is less to do with Azpi, and more to do with Ivanovic currently being completely untouchable under Mourinho.

Up to a point, I can understand why this is; he's one of the leaders in this team, his physicality is very useful at both ends of the pitch, and he's a direct attacking threat from both open play and set pieces. I don't agree with Mourinho that these attributes alone should make him a true untouchable, however. I find his fairly regular lapses in concentration enormously frustrating, and there are times when his play smacks of complacency. He's been at least partly responsible for quite a few of the goals we've conceded so far this season (2 against Everton, 1 against Swansea, the Schalke equaliser at home, QPR's goal etc.), but never appears to pay the price and it seems as if he doesn't expect to. Yes, Ivanovic attacks well, but that didn't save goalscorer and non-defender Schurrle from getting a complete and very public tongue-lashing from the manager after the Man City game, with Ivanovic's role in us conceding that goal being completely overlooked. If Mourinho is (rightly) going to critisise wide midfielders for not tracking their men, then why not Ivanovic (you know, an actual defender) as well?

I could understand the lack of criticism and rotation of a player if the back-ups in his position are flat-out inadequate, and I'm not advocating for the adoption of a a 'one-mistake-and-you're-out' policy, but our depth at full-back is excellent, and consequently none of the three players should be given the status of 'untouchable'. The manager needs to rotate the full-backs far more frequently, and to do so in response to the (expected) individual qualities, tactics, and strategies of each separate opposing team. I mean, even Simeone at Atletico rotates his left-backs quite frequently this season depending upon the opposition they face, and Atletico remain an excellent defensive unit.

In short, play Luis more!!!! :rant::P

P.S.: I suppose I could have posted this in the Ivanovic thread as well, but eh...., I prefer using the player threads to call for players to play more based on their perceived qualities rather than using them to ask for the player to be dropped/sold. For the record, I do actually rate Ivan highly, and would play him regularly, just not EVERY game.

Our full-backs are both brilliant.Luis deserves the bench. He has played a few games where he did well, but nothing special to take over from Dave, just like Ashley did last season. IMO we could have kept the money and kept Ash for another season, I'm sure he would have done the job when needed.

I find his fairly regular lapses in concentration enormously frustrating, and there are times when his play smacks of complacency. He's been at least partly responsible for quite a few of the goals we've conceded so far this season (2 against Everton, 1 against Swansea, the Schalke equaliser at home, QPR's goal etc.), but never appears to pay the price and it seems as if he doesn't expect to. Yes, Ivanovic attacks well, but that didn't save goalscorer and non-defender Schurrle from getting a complete and very public tongue-lashing from the manager after the Man City game, with Ivanovic's role in us conceding that goal being completely overlooked. If Mourinho is (rightly) going to critisise wide midfielders for not tracking their men, then why not Ivanovic (you know, an actual defender) as well?

:lol: exactly. Hazard and Schurrle have both been slated publicly (and subsequently dropped) by Jose for losing concentration in games (Atletico and City) where Ivanovic did the exact same thing. It's strange though because Mourinho and the vast majority of Chelsea fans refuse to acknowledge the fact that Ivanovic regularly costs us points. I reckon because Jose plays him all the time, lots of fans automatically assume he's amazing defensively.

Ivanovic has been given years to adjust to the RB role. He still hasn't learned how to close players down quickly, deal with diagonal balls and how not to lose concentration.

Didn't the same happen with Luis before he was hooked during the Maribor match?

Didn't the same happen with Luis before he was hooked during the Maribor match?

Pretty much. Ivanovic doesn't close the winger down quickly enough, allows the cross in and from Zouma's clearance Luis also doesn't close the opposition down quickly enough. They manage to score and Luis is thus hauled off and dropped for the subsequent CL match. Never mind that Ivanovic did the same thing and if you remember the chance Maribor had soon after scoring where they missed an open goal opportunity, Ivanovic switched off from the cross.

Pretty much. Ivanovic doesn't close the winger down quickly enough, allows the cross in and from Zouma's clearance Luis also doesn't close the opposition down quickly enough. They manage to score and Luis is thus hauled off and dropped for the subsequent CL match. Never mind that Ivanovic did the same thing and if you remember the chance Maribor had soon after scoring where they missed an open goal opportunity, Ivanovic switched off from the cross.

Yep you could even see the look on his face when he smacked luis on the back coming off. Obviously Luis has a much shorter leash for him than Ivanovic.

If Azpi had played on the right vs United and City we wouldn't have dropped points.

Don't compare Ash to Luis, Luis right now is better than Ash was last year. Ash got burned by Robbem vs Bayern with Roma. Luis doesn't get burned.

If Azpi had played on the right vs United and City we wouldn't have dropped points.

Don't compare Ash to Luis, Luis right now is better than Ash was last year. Ash got burned by Robbem vs Bayern with Roma. Luis doesn't get burned.

Didn't Luis get owned by Zaha in the Palace game? :ph34r: