Filipe Luís

Jase

If the signing of Luis for a year meant we didn't get Shaw then we should send Luis and Jose flowers. Shaw was awful last year and was injured so much that he played 4 fewer games last season than Luis did ffs.

is that true?

funny how things work out. :lol:

It's a shame we've lost him. The bigger shame is that he never got a proper run in the team. How can you expect a defender to adapt so quickly to a new league when you don't give him consistent chances?

That being aside, he was great whenever he played. His link-up play with Hazard and the fluidity he gave to our game would have been priceless against UCL oppositions.

Filipe Luis would look like an absolute world class player if he played in a pressing system at the back. I think he would also be world class if we keep playing like this at the back only if he got a proper chance.

Managers would get slaughtered if they benched the best left-back in the world in the previous season. I cannot understand how a player like Ivanovic kept him out of the team. Despite being probably the best manager in the world, Mourinho has his favorites I guess...

is that true?

funny how things work out. :lol:

Actually according to transfermarkt turns out I was wrong, Luis made 26 appearances and Shaw made only 20 so it was 6 more:

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/filipe-luis/leistungsdaten/spieler/21725/plus/?saison=2014

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/luke-shaw/leistungsdaten/spieler/183288/plus/?saison=2014

Shaw only managed 90mins on the pitch 4 times after the 8th November too.

Luke Shaw was only 19 last season. Like Stones we would be paying for his potential not just his current ability. Unlike Filipe he wouldn't need to start every game either.

shaw6.png

His reported £100k p/w wages seem to be a myth according to him as well.

sky sports says - 15mil pounds, which makes us break even.

and i have a hard time believing di marzio cos "the option to buy" runs out after the 2 years on loan. so unless our board have forgotten how long the players' contracts run, i feel di marzio is wrong (for once).

and even if we sell him for 16mil euros. we would have made a 4mil euros "loss". or rather got a player's services for 4mil euros for an year. fair enough. i dont mind that "loss"

You're right that the option to buy appears to make little sense and since nobody else is reporting a loan deal it doesn't seem so plausible.

The Guardian are also now reporting a £16m deal but it's hard to believe that Atleti would pay that much. I wouldn't be surprised if this is another case of the English media simply converting euro to pound but not the actual figure. In any case 16m euros isn't such a bad deal.

It's a pity how things turned out here for Luis but I'm happy for him that he gets to return to regularly playing at the top level instead of rotting on the bench.

Lahm earns over £100k p/w and Shaw only said that he doesn't earn as much as him and not that he doesn't earn £100k p/w, no? Given United's apparent wage structure it wouldn't be surprising if Shaw is actually earning that much.

Even if we had put in a transfer bid as high as United's then we don't know if his being a Chelsea fan would have overidden his desire for a much larger wage package, but I suspect not.

Luke Shaw was only 19 last season. Like Stones we would be paying for his potential not just his current ability. Unlike Filipe he wouldn't need to start every game either.

shaw6.png

http://www.forbes.com/pictures/mlh45egml/no-18-philipp-lahm-bayern-munich/

lahm earns 15mil dollars (9.5mil pounds an year) (and since its forbes i am inclined to believe it).

so shaw saying that he does not earn more than lahm might be true but in no way does it say anything about 100kpw wages.

Talented player but was very mistake prone when he did get a chance. I can see why Jose has no trust in him and why he plays azpi over him even though luis is more talented. Really disappointing that such a talented player like filipe didn't work out for us.

He didn't even make a single mistake when playing for Chelsea

shaw6.png

According to reports Lahm earns around £160k per week. So, even if Shaw doesn't earn more than Lahm, he can easily earn anything between 100k and 160k, and it won't be more than Lahm's salary.

Edit: didn't notice previous posts. Sorry.

Gutted about this, I really rated Luis and can't help but feel it was a move that was never going to fit hand in glove. For him to displace Azpi was going to be massively difficult when your one of the most consistent defenders in Europe, not only that but Luis is too good for the bench.

If it's really 15 or 16m quid it is an unbelievable piece of business by the club to get back what we overpaid for him last season. If it's a two-year loan, it would be one of the stupidest things we've done on the market in some time. So, I really don't know what to feel about this...

Shame it didn't work out for him here, he's a quality player and seems like a good person aswell.

But if its true that we'll get the same amount we bought him for that would be some great piece of business on our part!