Why do you support Chelsea?

Up until the last few years, if you were overseas you'd get about 3-5 live games a week. It's only a recent thing that more matches are being shown live (we get all 10 Prem matches live here in singapore now). This obviously assumes that you pay for the ridiculously expensive sports television packages that are specifically catered to providing the Premier League to viewers.

So for people who were just starting out to follow football, it would be difficult to get "hooked" to a club like Charlton, who'd be lucky to have one live match broadcasted a month. Also, the broadcast media in these countries mainly just focus on the 2-3 big teams (in those days generally Utd, Arsenal and Liverpool) so practically 90% of stories you read or hear would be about the bigger teams. When you're just starting to learn about teams and the league, this plays a huge role imo. Again, it's only a recent thing that you get a fairer representation of the smaller teams as well, since there are more dedicated football channels and more types of discussion shows. Previously there'd be like one review show a week so most of the discussion would be centred around the big boys

Personally I started supporting Chelsea because of Zola, and also because my dad is a Liverpool fan and I desperately didn't want to become one as well :D

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Up until the last few years, if you were overseas you'd get about 3-5 live games a week. It's only a recent thing that more matches are being shown live (we get all 10 Prem matches live here in singapore now). This obviously assumes that you pay for the ridiculously expensive sports television packages that are specifically catered to providing the Premier League to viewers.

So for people who were just starting out to follow football, it would be difficult to get "hooked" to a club like Charlton, who'd be lucky to have one live match broadcasted a month. Also, the broadcast media in these countries mainly just focus on the 2-3 big teams (in those days generally Utd, Arsenal and Liverpool) so practically 90% of stories you read or hear would be about the bigger teams. When you're just starting to learn about teams and the league, this plays a huge role imo. Again, it's only a recent thing that you get a fairer representation of the smaller teams as well, since there are more dedicated football channels and more types of discussion shows. Previously there'd be like one review show a week so most of the discussion would be centred around the big boys

Personally I started supporting Chelsea because of Zola, and also because my dad is a Liverpool fan and I desperately didn't want to become one as well :D

This is very true as well!

For instance, Brazil has official supporters groups for 14 or 15 EPL clubs (plus some Championship ones) and the bigger clubs are, by far, the oldest among them (Liverpool, Arsenal and United). They were basically the only games we could watch live back in the early-mid 90s (when ESPN first arrived in Brazil), so those who followed English football back then would naturally end up cheering for one of them. Only after a while that we got the full list of live matches groups from all sorts of clubs started appearing...

It is obvious that the bigger title contenders get the most attention and are the most attractive to the public. However, this is not exclusive to the International fans because the English public is also influenced by the success of the clubs. Media and TV coverage are heavily focused on the big 4-5 anywhere in the world (England included). The chance of a young English kid falling in love and start supporting a team like Chelsea is immensely higher than him choosing Barnsley United, for instance. The rules that apply to local fans when choosing a club to root for are essentially the same ones that apply to fans from other continents. However, Benches Not The Shed (horrible name by the way) just cant seem to understand that!

Currently, Chelsea holds a gigantic number of Brazilian fans. Most arent REAL fans and they watch the games mainly to see our Brazilian stars or Mourinho (he is incredibly popular here), but there are also the ones who truly love the Blues and share the exact same passion as any other fan from London. Chelsea Brasil (http://chelseabrasil.com/) is rather old and is always present at the club's events and matches. They organize barbecues and pub gatherings, they write extensive articles and tactical analyses, they post news on social networks, etc. I bet they do more for the club than he does. And they are 3 thousand miles away from Chelsea!

Now, it's is not just supporters from the successful teams that have official supporters group. There is an immense amount of different groups and associations related to the smaller clubs too. So you guys have an idea, some of them even organize trips from Brazil to UK to watch a couple of games live. Here is the 3 year old Fulham FC Brasil (I'll repeat, Fulham): http://fulhamfcbrasil.blogspot.com.br/search/label/Especiais?&max-results=7. They have 217 registered fans and they went to London last season with a small group of people to see 2 EPL matches (if I am not mistaken). It is not the so-called "glory hunters". Not at all!!!!

I gave examples of Brazil in specific because it is where I live, but like you posted yourself, there are many similar things around the world!

I'm just trying to understand it , as I don't see all these people from other countries following Charlton or Millwall( apart from the odd Dutch fella down at the Den), we were in similar positions to these two clubs 30 years ago and I didn't see any about then... So I am trying to be proved wrong that they are not just here for the silverware..

still no coverage of Charlton/Millwall in Asia and many other parts of the world. few years ago, only the big 4 games were shown heavily, so there are mostly fans of the big 4 here

So now we have to prove we're all Chelsea fans?

How does "fuck off" sound? :lol: :lol:

You certainly have something on your shoulder.

a-chip-on-your-image.jpg

Fuck off sounds great, in fact it nearly sounds as great as your cringeworthy post match thread titles..... Yawn

Quite like the idea of being a football reporter don't you... Think again son.

I was called a glory hunter, a plastic fan, just because I support Chelsea.

I have seen many football games prior to my support of Chelsea.

Am I a glory hunter just because Roman came in June of 2003 & brought millions & this club became a force to deal with?

Am I less of a fan just because I do not live in London & have no chance to attend many games?

Those fans who live in UK are attending games, get to see the real deal & I am envious of them.

We all should thank Roman for his generosity, his love for this club...on & on.

To me, without his money this club would still be hovering around the middle of the table, if that.

Fuck off sounds great, in fact it nearly sounds as great as your cringeworthy post match thread titles..... Yawn

Quite like the idea of being a football reporter don't you... Think again son.

tumblr_m6tac8haeM1r3gs9qo1_500.gif

Well, after reading some of the replies, I think I'll carry on doing what I'm doing... Watch my local non league team at home and watch Chelsea away.

No heart or soul at Stamford Bridge anymore, I'm not sure if that is fully down all seater stadia, or if there are just too many birds at games these days.

Well, after reading some of the replies, I think I'll carry on doing what I'm doing... Watch my local non league team at home and watch Chelsea away.

No heart or soul at Stamford Bridge anymore, I'm not sure if that is fully down all seater stadia, or if there are just too many birds at games these days.

Your best idea yet...Now in the top right corner is the 'Log Out' button......press it.

Take care.

No one mentioned FIFA :P

This thread is basically labelling international fans as gloryhunters and asking them to fuck off. Outrageous

No, this thread is basically labelling anyone outside of the Royal Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham as gloryhunters and asking them to fuck off...

Why do I support Chelsea? Because I can. And I will. I always have done, and I always will do.

khaleesi_deal_with_it-44814.gif

And on that note, you bunch of glory-hunting armchair wankers, this topic is locked, before someone starts a flame war.

Winning is, almost, the only thing that brings a club to an international stage and broadens its support base. Many of my childhood friends became MUFC fans after united won the dramatic 1999 champions league final against Munich. My uncles and elder brothers are Liverpool fans because back in the old days they used to win stuff. Up until Roman and Jose came to the English game, Liverpool, Arsenal and Manchester United were the only clubs with substantial support in my country. Now, I loved football (where I'm from, you don't have a choice) and used to watch EPL games when ever I could but I wasn't really attached to any of the teams. But, honestly, there was always something very peculiar about CFC.

• A player - manager.
  • Real great football to watch
  • Zola.
  • A team often punching over its weight
  • Zola
  • Another player-manager
  • Odd cups here and there, doing really great in the PL
  • Did I mention Zola?

In addition, Weah's signing (even if for just a season) was a big news in Africa (he is very, very popular there). In short Chelsea was a very likeable club, if not popular, back then.

When did I start supporting Chelsea? I'm not really sure. Am I a post-Roman fan? Probably yes... the first game I watched while supporting the blues passionately was the 2003/04 champions league quarter final against Arsenal (aka 'the invincibles', back then) and every body else in the room was supporting Le'Arse (that kind'f pushed me even further in supporting CFC). If I'm not wrong, I think that was the first full season under Abrhamovich but Chelsea was still not considered as a title contender and no one was even sure what to expect next season.

It is very wrong, for a local supporter, to think any less of a fan in Africa or in the far-east just because he started supporting the club after it got famous. That was the only way.

How many among us can say, "I loved my wife before she grew her tits" :D