Why do you support Chelsea?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its true chelsea would not have the global reach, and international fan base had abramovich not come along with his billions.

But this where we are now, and parochial fans from london and the home counties need to realise this. Yes I was one of those who saw all the 'glory hunters' arrive around 2005, having been a long serving fan since 1967, and resented it. But its the reality.

I have met foreign fans and many are just as passionate, even more so, than yer average home counties shaven headed beer monster. Eg CFC Indonesia are chelsea fucking mental. I would have liked them fighting with us in the 80s.

The other thing is, this forum is an international community, and if some fans think theyre 'more chelsea' than others, theres other forums that cater for that kind of thing

Probably want to drop some of these supporters groups a message mate.....

Sweden - Founded 1994

Cyprus - Founded 1992

Iceland - Founded 1997

Malta - Founded 1996

Norway - Founded 1980

Switzerland - Founded 2001

Australia - Founded 1988

Canda - Founded 1998

Hong Kong - Founded 1996

Indonisia - Founded 2003

Japan - Founded 2003

South Africa - Founded 1994

USA - Founded 1998

Add to that Chelsea FC Kosovo Fan Club! Founded in 2013 and officially accepted by Chelsea FC.

Just a generic "I'm a massive fan, bigger and better than all of you because I live in London and my dad supported Chelsea" thread...

"I was born in the Shed, Osgood used to shag my mum, and ive been to more games than cathy mcdonnell."

I'm just trying to understand it , as I don't see all these people from other countries following Charlton or Millwall( apart from the odd Dutch fella down at the Den), we were in similar positions to these two clubs 30 years ago and I didn't see any about then... So I am trying to be proved wrong that they are not just here for the silverware..

i fully understand and i often think the same..but im being a hypocrite talkin like this.. i jst dnt knw the answer.

good thread though.

i fully understand and i often think the same..but im being a hypocrite talkin like this.. i jst dnt knw the answer.

good thread though.

What? How do you mean you dont know the answer?

Chelsea is a big club playing in a big league. Therefore, there are Chelsea games being transmitted into all 5 continents every now and then (fuck, maybe even in 6 if counting the scientists in Antartica). With that in mind, it is only normal for people from all around the world to fall in love with the club. Rooting for a team isnt something planned, it simply happens!

The same reasons a fan in UK decides to follow Chelsea applies to the International fans. They basically watch a game and like it or feel some sort of connection. Then they start searching and learning more about the club until they feel like a they've become a real fan. After that, they keep watching the games and supporting the club (with merchandise, etc) like any other regular person. The only difference is they dont ultimately go to Stamford Bridge!

It is so crystal clear that it doesnt even need explanation to be quite honest!

How I got to would probably give you a good ideIt was Mourinho's first year ten years ago and at the time I was a kid. I played football with my friends but until then I had not really been someone who enjoyed watching it professionally. I'm 14 at the time Most if not all of my football influence was due to my dad and he is very passionate about it, watched it all day every weekend and even to this day (at over 50 years old) he plays in a league every single week here in Toronto. It was pretty much all Benfica when it came to him I went to games when we were on vaca in Portugal and sometimes I'd watch them with my paps. But I'm not sure I was old enough to really have done anything consciously, I always liked playing football but it was a game to me back then not a sport. I was playing to have fun and knew nothing about professional football. Had I given club football more attention maybe I would have not liked Mourinho back in 04' (coming from a Benfica house). I didn't really give much attention to club football until about high school. The upcoming Euro cup was likely the driving factor that eventually had me more aware of club football. There was nothing here, TorontoFC was around until 2007, so all signs pointed to the premier league.

Honestly (and embarrassingly) one of the first things that turned me on to Chelsea was a video about the headhunters I watched, I was young and I thought they were badass. I think it was after that week that I was more deliberate in watching football and I was watching Chelsea matches, it may have been 3 or 4 games and the season was up. Its been so easy to be a fan since then as I doubt any club had been as entertaining (in the last 10 years) in a holistic way not just the football itself.

got into football when Hiddink achieved 3rd with Russia on Euros, got into Chelsea not that long after, reasons:

1. Russian owner
2. Gus Hiddink (Was Russian team coach when he came to Chelsea, loved in Russia)

3. Zhirkov

4. Ivanovich (Serb but still slav)

5. Live in London

Kinda had Russian aura around it :D

Chelsea appears to have always had a strong contingent of foreign supporters. I don't know why. In my case it was because Chelsea's system always combined the elements of speed and stamina - well nearly always that is. The typical English teams used to compete who will kick the ball higher into the air (and only the historic Liverpool imho was doing that to effect). At the same the typical Latin teams used to compete in slow motion football. Also Chelsea happened to be the stars when live broadcasting was first introduced in my country. Of course I 've been to the bridge several times.

Most people support the same team as their dad did. So in GR I support my dad's team AEK of Athens, I think but I 'm not sure we played a friendly once. There was certainly a friendly between CFC and Panathinaikos and the cl clash CFC - Olympiakos Piraeus 5 years ago (0-0 in Piraeus, 3-0 in London). Ah and Chelsea - Aris Salonika in 1970.