Unpopular Opinions

Santiago.

• Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We were better under Ancelotti than Mourinho

During one season only...

Mourinho made us the best team in UK for 3 consecutive years (not talking about trophies only), we played the best football and had the best squad.

Ancelotti was a one year thing, could never replicate that and did some fucked up shits on the transfers to renew the squad!

Yes, 09/10 was our best ever season (imo), but I give way more credit to Mourinho than to Carlo.

Yes, 09/10 was our best ever season (imo), but I give way more credit to Mourinho than to Carlo.

I have always thought that our 2009-10 league season was overrated. Yes, we played a nice football, had a a good record against the late "big four" teams and we scored a lot of goals... But at the end of the day, we only beat an average United by one little point. In Mourinho first season, we managed to have 95 points (the record) while the second team — the Invincible — were at 83 points. And we might have scored a lot of goals and trashed a few teams under Ancelotti, but we also conceded 32 goals and we lost six games — while under Mourinho in 2004-05 we conceded only 15 goals (which is also the record) and we only lost once.

So yeah, in my mind, this 2009-10 league season is overrated.

I have always thought that our 2009-10 league season was overrated. Yes, we played a nice football, had a a good record against the late "big four" teams and we scored a lot of goals... But at the end of the day, we only beat an average United by one little point. In Mourinho first season, we managed to have 95 points (the record) while the second team — the Invincible — were at 83 points. And we might have scored a lot of goals and trashed a few teams under Ancelotti, but we also conceded 32 goals and we lost six games — while under Mourinho in 2004-05 we conceded only 15 goals (which is also the record) and we only lost once.

So yeah, in my mind, this 2009-10 league season is overrated.

Stats that means nothing when you try to find out which year we played the best football. I can give you tons of Manure records that were achieved with some very average teams...

I never saw Mourinho's team playing the kind of football we played that year. We were more consistent in 04-08, more unbeatable than in 09/10. However, I would enjoy myself much more in Carlo's years.

Lets put it that way. If they both played, I would root for Anelkalouda, but they would probably lose to Mourinho's team!

Stats that means nothing when you try to find out which year we played the best football. I can give you tons of Manure records that were achieved with some very average teams...

I never saw Mourinho's team playing the kind of football we played that year. We were more consistent in 04-08, more unbeatable than in 09/10. However, I would enjoy myself much more in Carlo's years.

Lets put it that way. If they both played, I would root for Anelkalouda, but they would probably lose to Mourinho's team!

We might of played more attractive football under Ancelotti but that was only 1 season. He failed to replicate that attractive playing style the following season and deservedly got the sack.

Carlo Ancellotti was a terrible manager and still is. They only thing he did was keep the stars all smiles and happy. It's hard to lose when Terry, Lampard, Drogba, Malouda, etc are having the best seasons of there careers.

We might of played more attractive football under Ancelotti but that was only 1 season. He failed to replicate that attractive playing style the following season and deservedly got the sack.

I love when people dont read the whole discussion and jump in the middle of it making conclusions...

During one season only...

Mourinho made us the best team in UK for 3 consecutive years (not talking about trophies only), we played the best football and had the best squad.

Ancelotti was a one year thing, could never replicate that and did some fucked up shits on the transfers to renew the squad!

Brazilian Ronaldo would have been the best striker of all time if not for his injuries.

Yeap. It's not really a question of best striker, it's more best ever. Only people that would disagree are people born during the 90s.

A°) Stats that means nothing when you try to find out which year we played the best football. I can give you tons of Manure records that were achieved with some very average teams...

B°) I never saw Mourinho's team playing the kind of football we played that year. We were more consistent in 04-08, more unbeatable than in 09/10. However, I would enjoy myself much more in Carlo's years.

A°) Fair enough. I am agree with you, stats in themselves are of little meaning. To echo your example regarding United, the fact that they have the possibility, this year, to break our points record, shows perfectly that figures aren't enough. Though, I mentioned only stats on purpose. Indeed, to mine it appears that people praising our achievement in 2009-2010 are only basing their judgment upon our style (because, as I said, we trashed a few teams). Thus, I knowingly pointed out stats, in order to counterbalance subjective judgments. Do you get me ?

B°) We might have a disagreement upon the notion "playing well". Does it mean playing a fancy football ? Does it mean mastering your football ? Does it mean to get the result regardless of the way ? ... ? It is also something very subjective. Some people will enjoy an expensive and fancy football, some other will enjoy a football more defensive and realistic. I myself prefer the football we were playing under Mourinho. To my eyes this kind of football is prettier — why ? Because, first of all, the way we controlled the opposition was fascinating. On a tactical point of view, it was top notch. A well oiled team, executing their play at the perfection. And it take a splendid devotion to execute this kind of iron defense. Et cetera... At the end of the day, to everyone his tastes !