Fernando Torres

So impressed with this signing, imo its the most exciting weve made in my life time (20 years) great show of ambition from the club to let everyone know were still a force in the transfer market... I thought we would win the champs league and the f.a cup at the start of the season and this just confirms it for me.. He can play in the CL i take it? although i doubt the f.a cup???

So impressed with this signing, imo its the most exciting weve made in my life time (20 years) great show of ambition from the club to let everyone know were still a force in the transfer market... I thought we would win the champs league and the f.a cup at the start of the season and this just confirms it for me.. He can play in the CL i take it? although i doubt the f.a cup???

He can play in the Champions League but not in the FA Cup.

Great article about Fernando's loyalty.

http://www.chelsea.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=522055

What so many LFC "fans" seem to forget:

1. Torres was asked to stay during the summer to help the sale of the club. Everybody knew he added value to the club. Fernando could have left earlier but he stayed to help the club.

2. Torres was one of the few players to speak publicly saying there needed to be new owners and Hicks and Gillette were killing the club. I don't remember the two local boys stepping out and saying that or did I miss that?

I love how LFC now wants to throw Torres under the bus and make this all about a greedy player with no loyalty. If he didn't care about the club he could have put in his transfer request last summer, in the beginning of January. He respected their wishes and waited and only when they left him no option did he turn in his request. Maybe if they'd been a little smarter they wouldn't have had to pay $35 million for Carroll.

Go Chelsea!

One of my Liverpool supporting friends made a good point to me about him (he's actually intelligent)..

"It's not the fact he's gone, we could deal with that, it's just how he's done it. 3 days left in the window! He could've left in the summer at least, giving us time to find a replacement and not getting desperate with £35million Carroll"

We'd say the same thing if this was, say, Ivanovic?

One of my Liverpool supporting friends made a good point to me about him (he's actually intelligent)..

"It's not the fact he's gone, we could deal with that, it's just how he's done it. 3 days left in the window! He could've left in the summer at least, giving us time to find a replacement and not getting desperate with £35million Carroll"

We'd say the same thing if this was, say, Ivanovic?

That wasn't Torres's fault,That was Hodgson's fault,believing he could get the best out of Torres.Maybe if Hodgson saw sense and let Torres go in the summer,he'd still be in a job!.

That wasn't Torres's fault,That was Hodgson's fault,believing he could get the best out of Torres.Maybe if Hodgson saw sense and let Torres go in the summer,he'd still be in a job!.

Perhaps so. But Torres chose to hand in a transfer request with such poor timing, and that's what has annoyed the fans, not him actually leaving. One sympathises with those fans, but the rest (shirt burners) I couldn't give a flying rat's ass about :D

Perhaps so. But Torres chose to hand in a transfer request with such poor timing, and that's what has annoyed the fans, not him actually leaving. One sympathises with those fans, but the rest (shirt burners) I couldn't give a flying rat's ass about :D

Me neither mate.Wouldn't surprise me if the scousers nicked the matches to burn the shirt as well.

I've watched Torres for a long time at AM, LFC, and Spain. I'm a huge fan and here are my two cents worth:

1. He won't run around the field like a chicken with his head cut off. He's not that kind of player and never has been, never will be. If that's what you're expecting, you'll be disappointed. He likes to typically play off the shoulder of the last defender and make his move.

2. His touch can be horribly bad and in the next second sublimely ridiculous.

3. He can be a moody a## but he can also be an arrogant one. When he's arrogant is when he's at his best. It seems if you piss him off personally on the field that gets him going and he steps up. Sometimes he can be whiny but on the other hand he gets the crap kicked out of him on a regular basis with little protection from refs.

4. He gets up for the big games and plays well - Chelsea, Arsenal, Manchester, Real Madrid, etc. He takes the challenge personally which makes him a great competitor.

5. He feels he can take multiple players on a time. Sometimes it's amazing and sometimes you want to know what the hell he was thinking.

6. Because there is Anelka, Drogba, Kalou, he doesn't have to play 90 minutes of every game no matter what. At LFC he probably played hurt more often than he should have. That combined with Spain commitments took their toll. He should be able to be rested and fit the second half of this season. With the summer off he should be a beast next season.

He is not a perfect player but he is a great player. He knows where the goal is and has a great appetite to score. He's also happy if teammates score.

I think CFC will be a good fit for him. He can contribute but he doesn't need to carry the team all the time, a la AM or LFC.