Russian Premier League Discussion

Spike

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know much about the league.

All I really know is that they (the fans) are generally the most racist bunch I've ever seen when it comes to football.

Therefore, I refuse to follow the league.

Didn't know Russia was a racist country? At least not to such an extent. In this day and age, for a civilised Western country. How odd.

Apparently its similar to Poland and Ukraine but not as bad. Like the crowds are quite racist and do crazy shit. Glad Euro 2012 didn't turn out to be bad though, with all the supposed racism and that in Poland and Ukraine.

Didn't know Russia was a racist country? At least not to such an extent. In this day and age, for a civilised Western country. How odd.

Are you serious? Probably sarcastic :lol: But if not, then how can you call Russia a civilised western country? Throughout history they've opposed themselves to west. And Russia is the leading country of neo-nazis, it's an extremely xenophobic and racist nation.

Anyway, like everything else there, their football league is corrupt.. that's where they get the money.

There are too many rich Russians in general lol. Their league would be very watchable but i don't know if anyone here televises it. They have some great players, especially in forward positions.

Looks like Zenit will be the team to beat this season.

Worked in Moscow - loved the CSKA games :)

1) racism - it's not deliberate, just cultural and lack of understanding, not all countries develop at the same rate. Russia is similar in that respect to England 30yrs ago...

The people are genuinely nice though, extremely well educated and smart, despite media propaganda...

2) due to capitalism, quite a few people have made it big. Russia has an abundance of natural resources, so very rich individuals.

There are more Billionaires per square mile in Moscow than any other city in the world!!!

Manhattan has the most millionaires per square mile... To put it into context!

I would expect Russian league to grow and prosper over next 10 yrs and like any developing country, racism and stereotypes to start dying out ...

They are nothing to worry about in the CL and never will be. Why? Russian teams are utter dogshit away from home, and they can sign as many mercenaries as they like, but that's not going to change. Beyond that, the place will never be a popular destination for the Crème de la Crème of football, and will instead attract at best second tier players like Hulk. I follow Russian football, albeit vaguely. My favourite club is Luch-Energiya Vladivostok, who I dearly hope will one day qualify for the Champions League group stages, and draw a team from Portugal. 13,000 km away trip :D

Lol they have the largest Neo-Nazi population on the planet. Something around half a million.

The collapse of the Soviet Union was the worst thing to happen to the country in that regard. The 'communist' government, for all their massive faults, at least worked tirelessly to stamp out any fascist movement amongst the people, and Neo-Nazism would never have gained currency in Russia had we still had a Soviet government.

• 3 weeks later...

Remember that Hulk guy?

Denisov demoted after Zenit criticism

(AFP) Monday 24 September 2012

Zenit St. Petersburg midfielder Igor Denisov has openly criticised the Russian champions for their big-money purchase of Brazilian striker Hulk.

"I would understand if we got [Lionel] Messi or [Andres] Iniesta - they probably deserve any price," said Russia captain Denisov.

"Yes, we bought some nice players who will clearly help Zenit. But are they really so much better than the current team leaders that they deserve to get three times more? Zenit have assembled great players who have won at least as many titles as the new guys."

Denisov and leading league scorer Alexander Kerzhakov were both demoted to the youth squad on Sunday after voicing displeasure at the transfers from the Portuguese league of Hulk and Belgian midfielder Axel Witsel.

The two players were purchased together in early September after a disappointing start to the season that has seen the side squander their lead at the top and drop to fourth.

The club issued a statement calling Denisov's behavior "unprofessional" and noting that he still had three more years left on a contract that made him one of the highest-paid players in Russia.

"He is discrediting himself as a player for club and country while doing serious damage to his own reputation," Zenit said.

Zenith leaders refused to meet with the Hulk

Hulk tried to establish a relationship with the new team-mates, but leaders of Russian champions refused to communicate with the Brazilian.

At pre-match training session between Hulk and Igor Denisov was playing a collision, and then Denisov blew up and showered Hulk unflattering phrases.

At the end of session Hulk tried to get in touch with partners. Through an interpreter, he asked for a meeting with Denisov and the other players of the club. However, the conversation did not take place. The main reason was the reluctance of the Russian players to make contact with the newcomer.

Poor Hulk.

Near the Zenith training ground has been found fake improvised explosive device.

Bag was installed at the entrance to the base and caught the attention of the guards because of the wires that were fasten it with tape.

Explosives found in the bag no explosives traces. Note that in the bag was a photo of the Zenith player Hulk, on the other side of which was an inscription: "Hulk - no!"