What's your typing speed?

We Hate Scouse

wow, I did not expect 25 pages of post about typing! LOL I type about 80 words a minute according to the test but in all fairness this is the first time I have sat down at a computer in a month! I have used my iPad but that doesn't count as real typing since it more like texting. I found the test to be hard for me because I don't usually type what I am reading on the computer screen. I can type from a hard copy sitting next to me with out looking at the screen with a fair amount of accuracy but it threw me off to look at the screen and type below it and not be able to see the whole "sentence". I also have to say I would have done better if it wasn't just gibberish. Actual sentences would have been easier because some of those words just didn't flow well together and it threw off the rhythm! :blink: I know... excuses, excuses but at least I didn't say I was old!

How many of you type with out looking at the keys?

How many have your hands in the "proper" positions?

I am just curious because my husband and father both type with about 6 fingers and not their whole hands. My husband is very quick at typing but I have never understood how. I took typing in high school (no not keyboarding) back when there wasn't even a correction ribbon on the darn thing. The keys actually took effort to push and they covered the keys on us!

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow, I did not expect 25 pages of post about typing! LOL I type about 80 words a minute according to the test but in all fairness this is the first time I have sat down at a computer in a month! I have used my iPad but that doesn't count as real typing since it more like texting. I found the test to be hard for me because I don't usually type what I am reading on the computer screen. I can type from a hard copy sitting next to me with out looking at the screen with a fair amount of accuracy but it threw me off to look at the screen and type below it and not be able to see the whole "sentence". I also have to say I would have done better if it wasn't just gibberish. Actual sentences would have been easier because some of those words just didn't flow well together and it threw off the rhythm! :blink: I know... excuses, excuses but at least I didn't say I was old!

I am just curious because my husband and father both type with about 6 fingers and not their whole hands. My husband is very quick at typing but I have never understood how. I took typing in high school (no not keyboarding) back when there wasn't even a correction ribbon on the darn thing. The keys actually took effort to push and they covered the keys on us!

I don't look at the keyboard, I find it easier to look at what I'm meant to be typing on the screen. I also agree that if it was proper sentences it would also be a bit easier rather than "sound school get me me we sound and and we don't" bla bla bla gibberish.

I do

I'm not sure what the proper position is. Will have to read Typing with All Ten Fingers first.

E: okay, it seems I have the proper positions most of the time.

I only look at the key board once to make sure my hands are in the right position. Once I know they are then I can type freely without looking down again. I guess I should thank Mr. Ruiz for driving me crazy all those years ago! I hated typing class but since it was that or a home economics class (cooking and sewing!), I chose typing since I thought it would be the most helpful for college. I have gotten very lazy about typing now that I don't have to worry about correcting mistakes as soon as I make them! I do most of the time but the advent of spell check and grammar check have lessened the need to make sure a line is perfect before going to the next.

I only look at the key board once to make sure my hands are in the right position. Once I know they are then I can type freely without looking down again. I guess I should thank Mr. Ruiz for driving me crazy all those years ago! I hated typing class but since it was that or a home economics class (cooking and sewing!), I chose typing since I thought it would be the most helpful for college. I have gotten very lazy about typing now that I don't have to worry about correcting mistakes as soon as I make them! I do most of the time but the advent of spell check and grammar check have lessened the need to make sure a line is perfect before going to the next.

Good to see you Kerry ... Just a quick question .......Have you learned to cook yet???? :halo:

Could you give an exact figure, BluesChick?

1. manpe [Estonia] (144)

2. LumH [Albania] (132)

3. RyanDavidson [scotland] (116)

4. Alex [England] (112)

5. capriccioso [Australia] (111)

6. Pr22 [Finland] (111)

7. Rambo [Canada] (107)

8. Sh0n3x [serbia] (98)

9. Artinho [slovenia] (94)

10. Bir_CFC [Canada] (91)

11. Clevemayer [Germany] (90)

12. Steve [Australia] (88)

13. We Hate Scouse [England] (88)

14. BluesMaster [England] (87)

15. sil826 [italy] (80)

16. IrishBlue [ireland] (77)

17. DDA [England] (75)

18. Sheva. [uSA] (75)

19. Naked Mole Rat [south Korea] (74)

20. Sir Trollington [England] (66)

21. KonohasOrangeFlash [Australia] (65)

22. Dave30 [England] (63)

23. Spike Spiegel [Australia] (63)

24. Hutcho_CFC [England] (58)

25. Kezza [New Zealand] (57)

26. CHOULO_19 [Lebanon] (48)

27. carefree88 [England] (45)

28. Liquidator [England] (44)

Alex falls tonight.

Does anyone else need a warm up time of about 3-4 tests before they start hitting good speeds?

My best results have come from the 1st, 2nd or 3rd try of the day. After that I'm usually hopeless.

My 'touch-typing' is me just using two fingers most of the time, and sometimes a third when I'm typing quite quickly. However when I am looking at the keyboard I type a heck of a lot faster, so this test favours those who have the ability to photographically recall a dozen or so words and then look at the keyboard and type them, or those who have better spatial diffusion with their finger positions.