Daniel Sturridge

the wes

Sturridge has improved at Liverpool for sure, but there have been a few people on here like myself and didierforever that saw that he was a special player when he was here. People always tend to forget that he was one of our best players under AVB which is a real shame.

Sturridge was never given a fair chance here so of course he wasn't able to show it on a regular basis but there were quite a few people on here who said Sturridge does have the potential to be a world class striker if he was just given a chance and it looks like he's well on his way to be that.

Thats not true. He was given a chance and he took if. But somehow RDM thought he wasnt good enough, and he went out of favour. RDM is probably the worst manager to ever win a UCL trophy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Sturridge: Liverpool are a bigger club than Chelsea, I'm NOT a selfish player and there's nothing like a Merseyside derby

Speaking to ESPN, he said: 'This club is more of a pressure cooker than Chelsea. [There] we were challenging for titles and the expectation from the fans and a lot of expensive players get bought and your fighting for your place. But I think as a club, [Liverpool] is bigger, the history of the club and the way the fans want success.'

When asked about his critics claiming he is a selfish player - Sturridge had a tendency to shoot even if a pass seemed the more sensible option, while at Chelsea - he said they were wrong.

'The selfish thing - people at Chelsea have an opinion - and everyone's entitled to their opinion, but for me I was never given an opportunity there,' he continued.

'I'm only on for five minutes, I've got to try and do something. I've got to try and shoot.

'People have an opinion of me, [saying] "Daniel Sturridge this, Daniel Sturridge" and that and I'm selfish and this and that, but for me I've always tried to help the team win games and here at Liverpool I always try and sit on my opponents and I'm not a selfish player. I'm not a selfish person. People who meet me here and management understand exactly where I'm coming from.'

He added: 'I didn't really get a chance to show people who I was as a person because once you have an opinion and I'm not doing interviews and I'm not playing and I'm on the bench - it's almost like you can't do anything to change anyone's opinion.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2511989/Daniel-Sturridge-says-Liverpool-bigger-Chelsea-selfish.html

Not selfish? Ha! Pull the other one Danny. He even tries to excuse himself instead of denying it by saying 'I was only on for 5 minutes'. Someone should've told him that you can make an impression with assists as well, but whatever. The Scouse delusion has obviously got to him.

He should also show a bit more respect towards his previous club and teammates. We had Didier until last season, so he was never getting ahead of him. He was given over half a season out wide in 11/12; had a very bright start, fell away and everyone realised he was too greedy for the position.

So you could make the argument that the only time he wasn't given a proper chance was the first half of last season when Torres was constantly played - which was ridiculous (I think everyone can admit). Other than that, I don't think it was as bad as he's making out. A lot of the time he was a victim of his own selfishness.

He wasn't given a proper chance up top - you can't even question this fact.

First when he was loaned to Bolton while Anelka and Drogba couldn't find a goal to save their lives and we signed Torres.

Next the next season he was played out of position for 8 months and after RdM joined his chances were limited.

Than last season he was not played at all.

Miles better than Torres and far more consistent in the EPL than Drogba was in his final years. Tell me the last time Torres scored a goal coming off the bench to win us a point or three?

His comments about Liverpool's "History" are usual deluded Scouse PR - not very surprising since he said the same thing when he signed with them.

I take back everything I said about Danny and our handling of his career. We fucked up. We let one of the most electrifying English players of the last decade leave because we bought Fernando Torres and that is one of the biggest mistakes in recent Chelsea history.

But he had to leave. If he wanted as good a career as his potential would allow, he needed to go to a club that would give him a chance and Liverpool was that place. This season we could have a strike force of Sturridge (9 Goals) and Lukaku (7 Goals) but instead we've got Torres, Eto'o and Ba.

It's fucking laughable.