Hulk

thejolta

lmao, another closed minded person xD, i'll leave you to get furious as there really is no point having a debate with people like you. :). Have fun lad.

Torres will prove you wrong :D.

Closed minded? If you really think that Torres will reach the form he had in Liverpool, why didnt he already? Why is his first of last touch most of the time HORRIBLE? That isnt because of the passes he gets. Its because he is mentally screwed up

I said TOrres will score more goals, but never be the star we need

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Closed minded? If you really think that Torres will reach the form he had in Liverpool, why didnt he already? Why is his first of last touch most of the time HORRIBLE? That isnt because of the passes he gets. Its because he is mentally screwed up

I said TOrres will score more goals, but never be the star we need

we shouldnt be reliant on one star or one scorer ,,,There have certainly been signs Torres is on his way back ,, That should be enough

As soon as I saw we were linked with Hulk again this year, I did have my concerns about Sturridge, and whether Hulk arriving would see Danny leaving. The conclusion i've come to is, Sturridge has come out to the media numerous times saying he wishes to play CF rather than RW. If he is spent half the amount of time he spends complaining actually working on his game, he'd be a nailed on starter on the right side. If he wishes to play CF, he is going to be back up to Torres and Hulk, a player who is happy to play on the right, takes his place in the side. I'd say he is forcing himself out of the side, after such a promising start to the season, which is really disappointing. I'd rather have a player happy to be playing in the position he's told to, than someone with a poor attitude, so, in my opinion, yes, Sturridge is worth sacrificing for Hulk.

I find this baffling. Sturridge has never complained publicly. He has said that his preferred position was as a central striker and he'd rather be playing there. He never said "I hate playing RW" or "why do they make me play out of position"?Even when RDM came in and made put him in the midfield which was never going to work, he didn't publicly complain. What is most amazing about this to me is the insane difference between the way fans treat Sturridge and Torres. Torres has publicly complained. Within hours of winning the CL, he was whining. Early in the season, he complained that Chelsea weren't moving the ball quickly enough for him. He sulks when he's on the bench. Yet, fans don't care. Sturridge is young, led us in goals, and fans boo him and say that we should sell him. Torres is our most expensive player and has contributed virtually nothing in a year and a half yet fans sing his name. Yes, I get why Sturridge is frustrating, he is selfish and he has to learn discipline, but he's 22 and was our second best player in the first half of the season. Sturridge scored 5 match winning goals last season. Torres had none. As I said...baffling.

It's all because of his name :Goober:

What's wrong with

iBu6GilygcZxF.gif

As soon as I saw we were linked with Hulk again this year, I did have my concerns about Sturridge, and whether Hulk arriving would see Danny leaving. The conclusion i've come to is, Sturridge has come out to the media numerous times saying he wishes to play CF rather than RW. If he is spent half the amount of time he spends complaining actually working on his game, he'd be a nailed on starter on the right side. If he wishes to play CF, he is going to be back up to Torres and Hulk, a player who is happy to play on the right, takes his place in the side. I'd say he is forcing himself out of the side, after such a promising start to the season, which is really disappointing. I'd rather have a player happy to be playing in the position he's told to, than someone with a poor attitude, so, in my opinion, yes, Sturridge is worth sacrificing for Hulk.

It's not so much the former arguments that I'm stuck to but the current reality.

From the point some are making about him being just a moderate success in a non-top 5 European league to why spend ~40m when we already have 6 (7 with Ramires) players who could play as wide forwards.

I find this baffling. Sturridge has never complained publicly.

He has, and more than once.

Sturridge is young, led us in goals, and fans boo him and say that we should sell him.

Only because of his selfishness.

I find this baffling. Sturridge has never complained publicly. He has said that his preferred position was as a central striker and he'd rather be playing there. He never said "I hate playing RW" or "why do they make me play out of position"?Even when RDM came in and made put him in the midfield which was never going to work, he didn't publicly complain. What is most amazing about this to me is the insane difference between the way fans treat Sturridge and Torres. Torres has publicly complained. Within hours of winning the CL, he was whining. Early in the season, he complained that Chelsea weren't moving the ball quickly enough for him. He sulks when he's on the bench. Yet, fans don't care. Sturridge is young, led us in goals, and fans boo him and say that we should sell him. Torres is our most expensive player and has contributed virtually nothing in a year and a half yet fans sing his name. Yes, I get why Sturridge is frustrating, he is selfish and he has to learn discipline, but he's 22 and was our second best player in the first half of the season. Sturridge scored 5 match winning goals last season. Torres had none. As I said...baffling.

I find it baffling that you've deflected my criticisms of Sturridge towards Torres in the first place, but hey-ho.

As I said, Sturridge needs to spend more time working on his game as a winger, which he doesn't seem to do. There was a reason RDM dropped him for the 2nd half of the season, he was a winger still playing with a centre forwards mentality.

It's not so much the former arguments that I'm stuck to but the current reality.

From the point some are making about him being just a moderate success in a non-top 5 European league to why spend ~40m when we already have 6 (7 with Ramires) players who could play as wide forwards.

I agree, it's a lot of money and a big risk, but he's been a long term target of the club even before AVB arrived, and clearly the board sees him fitting into the team. Wide forwards is slightly ambiguous in my opinion, Ramires isn't a forward, Kalou will be leaving, as mentioned we have Sturridge who i've explained my concerns about, and nobody else for the right side. I don't buy the argument of the quality of the league he's playing in, he's succeeded in the Portugese league as far as i'm concerned, he deserves a chance to progress.

I find it baffling that you've deflected my criticisms of Sturridge towards Torres in the first place, but hey-ho.

As I said, Sturridge needs to spend more time working on his game as a winger, which he doesn't seem to do. There was a reason RDM dropped him for the 2nd half of the season, he was a winger still playing with a centre forwards mentality.

Maybe because naturally he's a CF?

I have given up on Danny on the wing and hope he becomes Nando's back-up next season.

Moving back on topic, I can definitely understand Kostas worries, but Hulk does offer something on the wing that none of the other players we have do, and with us playing in 7 competitions next season we will need all the squad depth we can get. But the question is: Is what Hulk adds to the squad worth the alleged 38m?

Actually there was A LOT of criticism on here against Torres after that interview, can't bother to find it though. I think the fans also get tired of Sturridge's attitude on pitch, he's way too selfish and while Torres is sulking, at least his work rate is extremely good. No, that is not an excuse or good enough for us - but fans realize that he is trying for the team, unlike Sturridge who plays for no one but Sturridge (seemingly).

Which is why he hasn't succeeded as a winger, because he hasn't adapted his game to the role.

He shouldnt. I just hope he will get some playtime as CF with hulk coming and ramires also on that wing. It'll silence all sturridge-critique

Actually there was A LOT of criticism on here against Torres after that interview, can't bother to find it though. I think the fans also get tired of Sturridge's attitude on pitch, he's way too selfish and while Torres is sulking, at least his work rate is extremely good. No, that is not an excuse or good enough for us - but fans realize that he is trying for the team, unlike Sturridge who plays for no one but Sturridge (seemingly).

Except Sturridge's selfishness also helped. People talk about selfishness as purely a negative trait and for a striker it absolutely is both negative and positive. There is no top striker in the world who isn't always looking to shoot. Sturridge carried us in December when neither Drogba or Torres could score and he created goals out of nothing a number of times. While I don't particularly like selfishness, I'll take selfishness and production over work-rate and a complete lack of productivity every time.The amount that fans seem to value work-rate is so disproportionate to how beneficial it actually is to the team. The truth is that Sturridge while being selfish actually did much more for the team than Torres did while being a "team player". Then, if you claim that it' all about work-rate, you can then compare Kalou to Torres it also doesn't make sense. Kalou had a fabulous work-rate and never complained even when he was benched by AVB and was very solid defensively and had a better scoring record than Torres and yet many fans just loathed him. (And yes, I do understand why people were frustrated with Sturridge, I was too, but the negativity around him is ridiculous. He's 22 and led the team in goals. That should be something as a club we try to build on.)

I agree, it's a lot of money and a big risk, but he's been a long term target of the club even before AVB arrived, and clearly the board sees him fitting into the team. Wide forwards is slightly ambiguous in my opinion, Ramires isn't a forward, Kalou will be leaving, as mentioned we have Sturridge who i've explained my concerns about, and nobody else for the right side. I don't buy the argument of the quality of the league he's playing in, he's succeeded in the Portugese league as far as i'm concerned, he deserves a chance to progress.

The players I included in my total were Mata, Malouda, Marin, Hazard, Kakuta, Sturridge, De Bruyne. Afaik all of them can and have spent a significant part of their careers playing wide. I didn't take into account which side they played at as it is IMO not so significant.

The argument about coming from a "weak" league is not one I'd ever take lightly.

In the case of Hazard, the French league has a history of providing PL clubs with vital players and Eden is at the perfect age to make such a career move. Had he moved earlier it would be an anomaly and he'd risk his development while moving later may have risked missing the ship for greatness.

On the other hand, Hulk who is about to turn 26 and is still on just 2 international caps (even taking into consideration that he plays fro Brazil that's just too poor) is now spending the peak of his career in the Portuguese league being known more for his physical attributes rather than his footballing ability. Forgive me for not believing that his being in Portugal is just due to Porto's crazy valuation.

With a transfer fee that is approaching that of our biggest flops, players who were established at the very top level of football, Hulk (while not a n9) is a risk that I can't see the reason to take.

The players I included in my total were Mata, Malouda, Marin, Hazard, Kakuta, Sturridge, De Bruyne. Afaik all of them can and have spent a significant part of their careers playing wide. I didn't take into account which side they played at as it is IMO not so significant.

The argument about coming from a "weak" league is not one I'd ever take lightly.

In the case of Hazard, the French league has a history of providing PL clubs with vital players and Eden is at the perfect age to make such a career move. Had he moved earlier it would be an anomaly and he'd risk his development while moving later may have risked missing the ship for greatness.

On the other hand, Hulk who is about to turn 26 and is still on just 2 international caps (even taking into consideration that he plays fro Brazil that's just too poor) is now spending the peak of his career in the Portuguese league being known more for his physical attributes rather than his footballing ability. Forgive me for not believing that his being in Portugal is just due to Porto's crazy valuation.

With a transfer fee that is approaching that of our biggest flops, players who were established at the very top level of football, Hulk (while not a n9) is a risk that I can't see the reason to take.

Hulk's played for Brazil ten times I think.

Except Sturridge's selfishness also helped. People talk about selfishness as purely a negative trait and for a striker it absolutely is both negative and positive. There is no top striker in the world who isn't always looking to shoot. Sturridge carried us in December when neither Drogba or Torres could score and he created goals out of nothing a number of times. While I don't particularly like selfishness, I'll take selfishness and production over work-rate and a complete lack of productivity every time.The amount that fans seem to value work-rate is so disproportionate to how beneficial it actually is to the team. The truth is that Sturridge while being selfish actually did much more for the team than Torres did while being a "team player". Then, if you claim that it' all about work-rate, you can then compare Kalou to Torres it also doesn't make sense. Kalou had a fabulous work-rate and never complained even when he was benched by AVB and was very solid defensively and had a better scoring record than Torres and yet many fans just loathed him. (And yes, I do understand why people were frustrated with Sturridge, I was too, but the negativity around him is ridiculous. He's 22 and led the team in goals. That should be something as a club we try to build on.)

I can understand your viewpoint mate, but I think the fans as a whole could see that Torres was going through a difficult phase but was putting in a lot of selfless running down the channels, etc, working back, pressing, and most importantly, setting up a lot of goals. So although things were going dreadful from a goalscoring point of view, he was still contributing by making goals.

When Sturridge had his poor form, he would shoot from ridiculous angles rather than pass which contributed nothing to the team. When he was playing well the confidence could be seen taking shots on, but he also set some goals up by taking it on the outside of the full back and pulling the ball back (both Manchester clubs at home spring to mind). However when his dip came he seemed to refuse to do this and instead try to play for himself to get a goal. That is why the frustration mounted for the fans.

I've got no problem him taking on some difficult shots now and again because no doubt Hulk will if and when he joins. But taking a man on the outside is critical to keeping him unpredictable and difficult to play against. Hulk will bring that to the RW where he is comfortable.

Sturridge is now better off as Torres' understudy at CF, and if Torres isn't firing early in the season it is up to Danny to take his chances.

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You