David Luiz

the wes

The Olympics is a once in 4 year experience and we can't deny them the opportunity to play in it. I think an Olympic medal is really important in sports and its under valued in football. David Luiz and Ramires will probably play for Brazil so good for them !

Good luck to David Luiz. Ok it's not the most ideal situation but at the end of the day he is going to be getting match fitness which is one of the main reasons for pre season, and if anything, playing in the Olympics will be far more intense than playing in meaningless friendlies.

The other main point of pre season is for a new manager and/or players to become accustomed to it's new group of players/teammates. In this summer it is not as big an issue as previous ones. David Luiz has already worked with Robbie Di Matteo and vice versa. With the exception of perhaps a new right back we are also unlikely to make any significant changes to our backline, so David Luiz has already struck up a good relationship with them.

The same goes for Juan Mata if picked. These players may never get the same chances again so good luck to them. Although it would have been nice for Mata to strike up a creative partnership with Hazard in pre season, but I'm sure this can be developed as the season progresses.

• 2 weeks later...

Thiago Silva, Marcelo and Hulk the over-aged players in the squad so an unbelievable amount of quality for Mano Menezes to choose from. Was expecting Luiz to take Marcelo's place in the squad because they already have a decent left-back prospect in Alex Sandro. For the sake of our pre-season and the first couple of rounds in the league it's much better now that he's not going but on a personal level I feel for him.

I can't see this affecting him. He seems such a positive person and is very religious. I would expect such a disappointment to act as motivation.

This is massive however as it allows Robbie to keep the Cahill-Luiz partnership developing in pre season as we have to plan for a possible long suspension of Terry due to the racism row.

I can't see this affecting him. He seems such a positive person and is very religious. I would expect such a disappointment to act as motivation.

This is massive however as it allows Robbie to keep the Cahill-Luiz partnership developing in pre season as we have to plan for a possible long suspension of Terry due to the racism row.

From the CL final :D

+1 :) Happy for Chelsea sad for him, can't wait for Pre-season :)

Shocked to see him miss out but is it just me or Menezes is not a fan of us?! He never picks Ramires for Brazil and now dumping Luiz out of the Olympic squad. That said, it's good news for us. Can train and prepare with the rest of the squad for the upcoming season.