David Luiz

the wes

I find it so odd that no one has picked up on the notion that 3 at the back may be the formation tailor made for someone of David Luiz's skill set. 

I think he is perfect in this role because it will provide him with the necessary amount of cover should he decide to get forward and influence the game in this fashion.

Not to mention Kante will also provide the necessary shield preventing teams from just running directly at our backline.

We'll have to see how Conte uses the 3-4-3 but if its anything like I imagine (Luiz as the Libero with wingbacks) we could be in for some more exciting moments at the bridge.

http://lineupbuilder.com/?sk=cx144

1 hour ago, Chelsea Legend 11 said:

I find it so odd that no one has picked up on the notion that 3 at the back may be the formation tailor made for someone of David Luiz's skill set. 

I think he is perfect in this role because it will provide him with the necessary amount of cover should he decide to get forward and influence the game in this fashion.

Not to mention Kante will also provide the necessary shield preventing teams from just running directly at our backline.

We'll have to see how Conte uses the 3-4-3 but if its anything like I imagine (Luiz as the Libero with wingbacks) we could be in for some more exciting moments at the bridge.

http://lineupbuilder.com/?sk=cx144

I find it even odder that you think that as just about everyone has talked about Luiz being in a three.

Asked about the mixed public reaction to Luiz's return, Conte replied:
"I'm a bit surprised with this situation. I think David is a good player and he showed this in his career. He won a lot. Also, in some situations, he lost. But I think that David Luiz is a good defender, a good centre-back. I'm very happy that he's here.
"I don't like to speak about the past. Now I'm the coach of David Luiz. Also, I have a great responsibility to improve him in these aspects. If someone thinks that this player loses his concentration during the game, my task is to improve him in that aspect. I'm not afraid about this.
"If he must improve in some aspects, I'm here for this reason -- to improve my players. To work on any weaknesses and make them stronger. It's important. If it happens that, during a game, a player loses concentration, I don't like this. But he's my player."
Conte enjoyed considerable success working with defenders at Juventus, refining the complementary skills of Giorgio Chiellini, Leonardo Bonucci and Andrea Barzagli into a formidable three-man defence that has underpinned five consecutive Serie A title triumphs, and he says he sees similar potential for growth in Luiz.
"It's important to remember that when I started at Juventus, with Chiellini, Bonucci and Barzagli, the defence of Juventus had been conceding a lot of goals," Conte added.
"I remember that, before my arrival, many people told me: 'No good, these defenders. No good.' But then I started to work with them, I found a great commitment and attitude.
"Then, through the work, I think that now we are talking about three of the best defenders in the world when we talk about Chiellini, Bonucci and Barzagli. But remember, when we started in that first year at Juventus, it wasn't so."

I disagree that losing concentration is DL deficiency. It's his mentality which includes not only concentration, but also positioning, and decisions. He brings fantastic technique for a CB, but at some hefty cost. I hope Conte can help David become a better player; something I was sure Blanc was incapable of doing.

3 in the back in the PL would be very interesting to see...

Personally I think it's going to fail big time for two reasons: width and (mostly) pace.

I share Jose's opinion in that a back four is the best way to cover the corners of the pitch and provide constant double covers without needing to shift player's positions. Something that we are completely incapable of doing as Kante is our only deep midfielder with pace Oscar has some. Matic and Fabregas are slow and Mikel completely immobile.

The defenders, aside from DL himself lack pace tremendously.

3 in the back can work. I've seen fantastic teams play like that, but it demands all mobile players both in defense and midfield and we just haven't got them.

6 minutes ago, Robguima said:

I disagree that losing concentration is DL deficiency. It's his mentality which includes not only concentration, but also positioning, and decisions. He brings fantastic technique for a CB, but at some hefty cost. I hope Conte can help David become a better player; something I was sure Blanc was incapable of doing.

3 in the back in the PL would be very interesting to see...

Personally I think it's going to fail big time for two reasons: width and (mostly) pace.

I share Jose's opinion in that a back four is the best way to cover the corners of the pitch and provide constant double covers without needing to shift player's positions. Something that we are completely incapable of doing as Kante is our only deep midfielder with pace Oscar has some. Matic and Fabregas are slow and Mikel completely immobile.

The defenders, aside from DL himself lack pace tremendously.

3 in the back can work. I've seen fantastic teams play like that, but it demands all mobile players both in defense and midfield and we just haven't got them.

I don't think no team in PL ever try out the 3-4-3 formation fingers crossed it works out for us that formation 

I'm really glad hes back with us. I'd rather have him than Cahil and he should be a great partner with Happy.

There was a time I would have shook him warmly by the throat tho. That game we beat Manure 1-0 and he threw himself on the ground in the corner giggling like a schoolgirl.

Both him and Drogs both pissed me off doing it. I dont care what player does it I'd have ripped them a new one back in the dressing room if I was their manager and fined them big time,

Very important words yesterday :

"David has great personality, great technique, and he likes to play,’ continued Conte. ‘I like a defender who likes to play football. I know David can improve in defensive situations. Every player until the end of their career can improve. I say that from my experience as a footballer.

David Luiz is 29, a fantastic age for him to become one of the best defenders in the world. I am seeing great commitment from him. He wanted to play for Chelsea and it’s a great opportunity for him and for us to improve."

Looks like David Luiz is next big project for Antonio Conte. Adding N'golo Kante to the mix who "improved" Huth, Morgan, JT and Cahill already. Ugh.

Love this. Please David, please, don't fuck this up.

Lucas moura yesterday on David Luiz: 

"Of course [David Luiz will be missed], because the atmosphere is different when David is around," the Brazilian winger added.
"He is always smiling, he jokes all the time. A person like him will be missed, for sure."

Got to give it to him, he had a good game but my point still stands. 

The reason we are here is because we buy many mediocre players. If David Luiz is the best we can buy then don't expect us to challenge for anything. 

That being said, he is far better then Cahill, hopefully when Terry is fit he stars a long with him. 

1 minute ago, Fernando said:

Got to give it to him, he had a good game but my point still stands. 

The reason we are here is because we buy many mediocre players. If David Luiz is the best we can buy then don't expect us to challenge for anything. 

That being said, he is far better then Cahill, hopefully when Terry is fit he stars a long with him. 

If i remember correctly, according to Carragher (today) Chelsea will go back to the glorious Terry and Cahill partnership. :finger:

I would have preferred someone else, but Luiz played his heart out, he's of course better than the current players who play in his position. You know what you get with him, he's always trying, always giving it a go for the fans, can't fold a guy for doing that. Impressed by his deliveries, didn't remember them at this level, respect! Nevertheless he needs to keep it up at this level.

6 minutes ago, Essien19 said:

If i remember correctly, according to Carragher (today) Chelsea will go back to the glorious Terry and Cahill partnership. :finger:

I would have preferred someone else, but Luiz played his heart out, he's of course better than the current players who play in his position. You know what you get with him, he's always trying, always giving it a go for the fans, can't fold a guy for doing that. Impressed by his deliveries, didn't remember them at this level, respect! Nevertheless he needs to keep it up at this level.

Yeah here:

David Luiz not first choice at Chelsea, say Sky Sports pundits

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11668/10581200/david-luiz-not-first-choice-at-chelsea-say-sky-sports-pundits