David Luiz

the wes

If memory serves - and although it often fails, I don't think that's the case here - David had always showed up in the big games we played. His brainfarts happened mostly in smaller games. I believe I discussed this in the past - while he was still with us - that he has concentration issues. He's sharp in big games because he's 'overly' focused (to his standards) and he is sloppy in smaller games because he doesn't take them as seriously as the big ones (concentration speaking, I do believe consciously he takes all matches seriously, but I'm talking unconsciously). It's the same with Diego Costa and friendlies. Diego rarely shows up at them, even if you see him trying, although sometimes is even in his body language he isn't riled up to the friendly.

That means we have a more solid defense against bigger teams and are taking risks against smaller teams. I hope Conte can help with this, but I also believe against certain teams, even if we concede a goal, we should be outscoring opposition.

People were saying that we stood no chance playing against the Manchester teams or even our (inferior) London rivals because of our defense. Well, whether I still like him or not, David Luiz had always been a big-game kind of player, so we clearly made progress on that. Hopefully he won't give away more goals than we are capable of netting ourselves against mid-table and bottom-table teams.

The more I look into this transfer, the more it makes sense given how the market worked for us and how we don't have European football to offer and no guarantee we will have next season (things in England are going to be close, as usual). As much as we'd like to believe the opposite, EPL isn't like other leagues where a big team doesn't get into UCL in a fluke season, but is back in the next. Actually Germany, Spain and France don't even allow fluke seasons to big teams, as they're worlds apart from the second tier. In England it's different and although I really hope/expect we'll break into the top 4, there's a chance we won't. We are some way to being the team we were for the last decade where UCL was a given. Hopefully we'll back to that soon.

In all honesty I think Luiz knows exactly how to play to the fans and media. The persona he carefully acts out has got him further than his rather limited defending ability. I personally don't see him even being close to a top quality CB at 29 years old. He needs to play alongside a world class CB partner like Terry and Silva to stop him from being a complete defensive failure. I really hope that something changes and Conte can make him a beast of a CB but like I said previously If Jose and Blanc failed at this then realistically there is little chance Conte can. Yes he is flashy and gifted on the ball for a CB but this will not make up for him getting lost in important defensive moments and being out of position in crucial situations.

Barbara is right his WC performance especially against Germany was exactly who he is as a player and person. He was running around the whole pitch like Superman oblivious to his defensive duties as a CB but that would have not been enough for his ego. The after match interview of him playing to the fans and camera sobbing proved my hunch about him. He plays for himself rather than the team and as I've always said he is a 'fake CB'. Terry and Silva are examples of genuine CB's who will give thier lives up to defend, position and tackle for the team then being more concerned about how good/flashy they look to their fans and media.

But in all honesty I really do hope he proves me wrong and becomes a world class CB for us.

You guys are making it sound like every time he steps on the pitch he will make a huge mistake to cost us 3pts. The truth is David Luiz is a wildcard, he gives us that little bit of unpredictability that can decide matches and change games.

The assets he brings to the team far outweigh his shortcomings but having said that, when he fucks up its major and on the lead story of every media outlet.

Marcotti said it best when he does something well you never hear about it, when he fucks up its all people seem to want to write about.

On 03/09/2016 at 3:03 AM, Parky said:

In all honesty I think Luiz knows exactly how to play to the fans and media. The persona he carefully acts out has got him further than his rather limited defending ability.

He's a malicious mastermind :noexpression:

On ٣‏/٩‏/٢٠١٦ at 4:11 AM, Barbara said:

@Azpinator as I said I need to get over a personal dislike for him. With all the theatrics he did during the WC I took a 180 on my take about his personality.

Speaking of the defender alone, he has some terrible moments. Still much better than all of our current defense bar Azpili... so I think that's improvement and that's what we were aiming.

Still don't like him though :P

Ironically it's kinda the opposite for me. I couldn't care less about his personality, what I need to get over is his casual brain farts. I actually don't think he's much better than those guys. He's regarded by almost every football fan I know as a fraud. I guess time will tell.

In my opinion and based on matches I have seen 'live',  Luiz created more 'head in hands' moments during matches  than any other player I can remember watching. These moments were often accompanied by some statements such as 'what the fuck is he up to now' by fellow supporters around me in the grounds. For me there has never been a player that created so much divided opinion amongst match going support.

However,  these moments (and there at least 2 or 3 a match which are  not all  picked up on TV) have been  covered either by our defenders/DM's filling in, the opponents inability to capitalise on any error or just pure luck that the ball ran kindly.

Sometimes his unpredictibility works in our favour and providing we can make the most of his footballing side i.e. his pace and coming out with the ball to launch an attack whilst covering his erroneous side we should be ok.

His experiences in Paris on and especially off the pitch seem to have matured him as a man and I hope this translates onto the pitch with Chelsea.

I was never a fan of this 'geezer' talk, sticking his tongue out at every oppotunity and acting a clown ..... it just gives his detractors more ammunition to write negative stuff whether he has a decent game or not. Hopefully most of this side of him has been cut out.

10 hours ago, Leif said:

He's happy-go-lucky, shows more gratefulness for his position in life than the average footballer & always comes to work with a smile. I know that's against the modern status quo since 90% of people we come across have undealt-with depression, but I like it :dunno:Football's supposed to be fun, as is life.

Hell yeah man, he gives a shit. When things were bad here no-one did, no-one turned up and told the fans to go fuck themselves. At least Luiz has always carried out his role, especially in big games, going for it all the time. 

20 hours ago, Leif said:

He's happy-go-lucky, shows more gratefulness for his position in life than the average footballer & always comes to work with a smile. I know that's against the modern status quo since 90% of people we come across have undealt-with depression, but I like it :dunno:Football's supposed to be fun, as is life.

There is a big difference between coming to work with a smile and acting childish.

But hey ho....you chose just one little bit at the end rather than comment on the post as a whole which was my opinion on him as a footballer and a man.

I suppose at the end of the day, if he was a brilliant defender doing a sterling job for Chelsea defence then he can act as childish as he wants and fans wouldnt care.

Conte said: "I think David Luiz is a centre-back, he's played a lot of games in that position.

"I know sometimes he's played as a central midfielder but in my mind the idea is to utilise him in the right position which, for me, is centre-back. He's played with Chelsea previously and he will bring a good personality."

http://talksport.com/football/chelsea-fc-news-antonio-conte-not-planning-use-david-luiz-midfield-160907209123#ubwVqQS8dmsfFrvY.99

2 hours ago, the wes said:

Conte said: "I think David Luiz is a centre-back, he's played a lot of games in that position.

"I know sometimes he's played as a central midfielder but in my mind the idea is to utilise him in the right position which, for me, is centre-back. He's played with Chelsea previously and he will bring a good personality."

http://talksport.com/football/chelsea-fc-news-antonio-conte-not-planning-use-david-luiz-midfield-160907209123#ubwVqQS8dmsfFrvY.99

Music to my ears.