Marking Mario Gomez is the Key in Munich

I may be stating the obvious here, but the major key to victory on the 19th is to mark Mario Gomez with our best available defenders.

This may not seem surprising, as Mario Gomez has 12 goals in just 11 matches this CL campaign, meaning he has more goals in Europe this year than any player not named Lionel Messi...and if our defence isn't up for the job, he will surpass Messi for the #1 position, at our expense.

That being said, there is another reason to mark Gomez as tightly as possible, one even more pertinent than the half-Spaniard's scintillating form: Bayern Munich's offense runs through Gomez and Gomez alone. If Gomez is off his game, Bayern's system has no viable plan B. Having watched my fair share of Bundesliga this year, it was painfully obvious that in matches against Dortmund (3 times) and Moenchen Gladbach (also 3 times), Bayern had incredible difficulties making anything happen offensively despite superior possession, in large part because Gomez was effectively marked out of the game (and also thanks to the incredible pressing both these teams executed against the Bavarians). This in turn exposed their shaky defence and frustrated some of their hot-headed players into taking unnecessary fouls (ie. Mueller and Ribery).

But the main point is that their system is built around Gomez as the focal point. Marking him out of the game leaves Robben taking lone hero runs and nullifies Ribery's desired target, which leads to Bayern getting frustrated, and failing. I have seen it happen time and again in the Bundesliga and the German Cup this season.

It may also be worthwhile to add that Gomez is not a complete football player. He is an excellent poacher with little build-up ability. He had 24 goals this year but a meagre total of 2 assists (especially meagre when considering the all-star cast he has scoring goals around him). Marking him tightly leaves Bayern effectively playing with 10 men, which would be greatly to Chelsea's advantage on Saturday.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that Gomez is dangerous especially his link up play and his ability to drag defender away from their position but

We know that the key for bayen team is in ribery and robben. Dortmund played 4-4-1-1 and double teamed ribery and robben every time they had the ball, therefore no service for Gomez.

We should do the same thing, and I think we will.

Honestly not looking at our opponents right now and analysis it out. because on paper they are clearly miles ahead on quality, what i m expecting from Chelsea is to play with the same intensity and determination which they showed against Napoli and Barcalona. If we can recreate that again in Munich, then Gomez would be surely taken care of just like the Messis and Cavanis and Lavezzis

Good points there but it's also important to keep Robben & Ribery quiet out on the flanks. Jose did a good job with Inter in the final two years ago in nullifying them as those two are more than capable of winning games on their own.

The Blueprints on how to beat Bayern are all there. The Games against Dortmund, especially the recent 5-2 thrashing and the Inter vs Bayern UCL Final will be pivotal games that RDM and Chelsea should have a deep look at. The key to beating Bayern will be in those matches. Gomez should be taken care of, I'm confident he can be marked out of the game as long as Luiz and Cahill don't get lazy and are up to it for 90+ Mintues. Robbery will obviously be the biggest weaons. The Wingers will have to help out ALOT. Our Wingers need to understand that they need to be working at 110% Defensively to win this game.

Hope he has spare boxers, because he'll probably shit his pants on the big occasion again.

Let's hope so! He sure did sh*t the bed in the German Cup final. :D

But with a player like him you never know. He can go quiet for two weeks and then come back with a multi-goal game.

Good points there but it's also important to keep Robben & Ribery quiet out on the flanks. Jose did a good job with Inter in the final two years ago in nullifying them as those two are more than capable of winning games on their own.

Good points and if you take away the pass to Gomez you take so much away from Bayer's wingers. Robben will (unsuccessfully) try to go it alone, and Ribery will no longer have his favourite target available.

From the other thread:

What's your point? He scored two against Man City, a hatrick against Napoli, and a lovely goal against Madrid. Bayern have never lost a game where Gomez has scored this season.

Scary statistic! All the more reason to mark Mario Gomez.

I am going to speak here as if I were a Chelsea fan, I think it is better for Chelsea to mark Robben and Ribery, cause without Robbery, Gomez is well basically as useful as the condom on Susan Boyles bedside table, in other words, he is bloody useless.

Marking Robben shouldn't be a challenge since he is one of the most predictable players in the world and Chelsea know his style of play very well (his former club)

Marking Ribery is the real challenge here, Ribery is born to dribble past tight spaces and can score when least expected (example: his goal against Dortmund) and considering that Boswinga may be going against Ribery, the Chelsea defense have to step in and help out quite a lot, so RDM should really focus on marking Ribery at the most. Cause once Ribery gets the ball past Boswinga, there could be a cross and boom Gomez comes out of nowhere to receive the cross.

I am going to speak here as if I were a Chelsea fan, I think it is better for Chelsea to mark Robben and Ribery, cause without Robbery, Gomez is well basically as useful as the condom on Susan Boyles bedside table, in other words, he is bloody useless.

Marking Robben shouldn't be a challenge since he is one of the most predictable players in the world and Chelsea know his style of play very well (his former club)

Marking Ribery is the real challenge here, Ribery is born to dribble past tight spaces and can score when least expected (example: his goal against Dortmund) and considering that Boswinga may be going against Ribery, the Chelsea defense have to step in and help out quite a lot, so RDM should really focus on marking Ribery at the most. Cause once Ribery gets the ball past Boswinga, there could be a cross and boom Gomez comes out of nowhere to receive the cross.

Well said, Gomez is a poacher and he can't fashion chances for himself. As for Ribery, doubling up on him- both Bosingwa and Kalou- can stifle him. Neither of the two are great at defending per se and both can be beaten without too much of difficulty in a one-on-one but in a 2 on 1 situation, will Ribery have the audacity to beat Kalou and them Bosingwa immediately afterward? Or will he take the safe option and pass?

Bayern have to be responsible with the ball, we can break quickly and that is why I think Heynckes wont let Ribery try things like that. Though they aren't the best defensively Kalou and Bosingwa are still decent at winning back the ball and both are quick.

That will help, but I'm still counting on him to bottle any chances that do come his way.

Hope he has spare boxers, because he'll probably shit his pants on the big occasion again.

These replies are really asking for trouble.

The 2 key players are Schweinsteiger and Ribery imo.