Should Mata play vs Barca

I'd play the same exact team as the first leg, only exception is Sturridge for Mata.

We're going to have like 10% possession, and when we do have the ball we need quick outlets out wide = Rambo and Danny!!

Completely agree. Obviously I didn't like the amount of possession we had and the way we played, but the result was great. Having said that, it's a thing of beauty to watch Ramires in full flight attacking the other teams defense. He's gotten quite crafty with the ball as well putting on some nice dukes to get around players in his way. Before he'd just charge. Seems like Danny has showed him a few moves in practice. :D

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just not getting the "Oh, it's Camp Nou now, they're definitely scoring goals there" attitude. Says who?

I'd like to see Sturridge play. Ramires was killing them just with his pace on those long balls. If we get Sturridge in there, who is probably our most technically proficient player in the squad with the ball at his feet, I think it will cause them even more problems. He just needs to understand to track back and get into those gaps, to make it easier to defend.

I'm sure some have mentioned it, but prior to this game I was sure that we'd have to play Torres in this second one and live off the counter, but it's got to be Drogba. When we do get the ball, we need someone who can hold it. With Ramires and Sturridge on the wings, I think it would lead to great link up play, and Drogba is sublime at finding the gaps as he showed last night as well. I remember the ball he played to Kalou right at the end, and I was thinking to myself, if that had been Sturridge, he would have been quick enough to get there before the Barca player.

I never said barca would definitely score! I posed the question what if they score and my post wasn't advocating the defence or offence, just stating the quandary bobby Di faces.

I never said barca would definitely score! I posed the question what if they score and my post wasn't advocating the defence or offence, just stating the quandary bobby Di faces.

Yeah, sorry, that bit wasn't directed at you. Just seems like some people are certain Barca will score.

I honestly don't think they will. And if they do, I think they'll overplay it and concede on the counter. Just my opinion.

I think Mata should play, he's played there a few times before and wont be overwhelmed like Kalou & Sturridge would be. I'd even see Malouda ahead of Kalou and Sturridge purely because of experience alone.

Yeah, sorry, that bit wasn't directed at you. Just seems like some people are certain Barca will score.

I honestly don't think they will. And if they do, I think they'll overplay it and concede on the counter. Just my opinion.

yeah , in fairness its a fair assumption to make that barca will score at theirs because they have been prolific there but they really don't have a good record against us. Can't wait

Mata should play (can't even believe we're discussing Kalou over Mata), but ideally he should be rested for it, but since we play against bumfuckers before, I can't see that happening. He's visibly fatigued, how many games this season has he not played in at all? Has he ever not been included in match day squad?

Mata should play (can't even believe we're discussing Kalou over Mata), but ideally he should be rested for it, but since we play against bumfuckers before, I can't see that happening. He's visibly fatigued, how many games this season has he not played in at all? Has he ever not been included in match day squad?

I think he only missed two mikey mouse cup games against fulham and everton at the start of the season. But I could be mistaken.

Mata is very skillfull player and he's similar to Barcelona players because of technique, creativity, passing etc. I would love to see him instead of Meireles in the middle becuase he would be perfect guy to throw the balls on the wings where Sturridge and Ramires should play because they got great pace.

Cech

Ivanović Cahill Terry Cole

Mikel Lampard

Mata

Sturridge Drogba Ramires

Can't afford to just park the bus for 90mins. It may have worked yesterday but it wasn't as if we limited their chances. On a normal day they would have scored 2 or 3 at least.

Nou Camp is going to be very different indeed. Bigger pitch, intimidating atmosphere. They know they have to go for it so they'll come out all guns blazing. If we park the bus without any other plan it will just be onslaught after onslaught. One mistake and they score. Thankfully we didn't make any mistakes yesterday. Everyone did all they could. Can't rely on that + luck again

Exact same team as yesterday for me.

Definitely Mata. He might find more space on the larger Camp Nou pitch and thus might be more effective when he gets the ball. Also he is clever enough to not lose the ball running down blind alleys, ala Kalou, we cant afford to lose possession cheaply at the Camp Nou because having it will be so rare.

It's not as if he negated his defensive duties in the first leg, he did a fine job covering space but never got the ball enough to have an impact on the game. If the chance comes and Drogba is making a run, Id rather it be Mata passing him the ball than Kalou.

Does Mata need to play? Yes, no doubt in my mind with the width the Nou Camp has to offer. On the other hand, we cannot allow Barca to have an easy task to keep the ball and attack us for 90 minutes, that is why i am desperately and hoping and begging RDM to start Torres up top leaving Drogba to drop down and defend. Torres is known for attacking the defense when the opponents have the ball and it would be excellent benefit if we started him rather than allow Barca to go all over us like the first leg. I am hoping this is the formation and lineup we will see...

-----------------Torres---------------

-----------------------------------------

-----------------Drogba--------------

---Ramires----------------------Mata

--------Lampard-------Mikel----------

A.Cole--------------------------Ivanovic

------------J.Terry------Cahill----------

--------------------Cech-------------------