The European Leagues & Competitions Thread V2

CHOULO19

7 minutes ago, Atomiswave said:

Its not as awesome as yester years but still far more competetive and more action packed than Ligue 1

Now Klopp is entering burnout phase Pep/City are about to do the exact same thing to this league.

The only hope of that not happening is Tuchel coming up clutch for us. 

Just now, Tomo said:

Now Klopp is entering burnout phase Pep/City are about to do the exact same thing to this league.

The only hope of that not happening is Tuchel coming up clutch for us. 

I cant deny that City must be stopped, they have dodged their way out of trouble too many times for comfort, can do what they want. Pep will fuck off soon enough, he is too arrogant atm. Doesnt help that the media eat from his hands. Yup lets hope TT lets it rip.

23 minutes ago, Atomiswave said:

I cant deny that City must be stopped, they have dodged their way out of trouble too many times for comfort, can do what they want. Pep will fuck off soon enough, he is too arrogant atm. Doesnt help that the media eat from his hands. Yup lets hope TT lets it rip.

Even if Pep goes if Barca and Bayern are anything to go by they'll carry on at a top level for a longer whilr yet.

If we manage to compete and take titles of them in the coming years it will be our best achievement yet.

1 hour ago, Tomo said:

Even if Pep goes if Barca and Bayern are anything to go by they'll carry on at a top level for a longer whilr yet.

If we manage to compete and take titles of them in the coming years it will be our best achievement yet.

But the difference is Man City don't monopolize the Premier League like Bayern do in the Bundesliga or Barcelona do to some extent in La Liga. Let's not forget that Man City were beatable under Mancini and Pellegrini. 

Bayern is always on top. They won CL before and after him. Not with him. Barca was also great before and after him with Enrique. City also won titles with two previous managers.

City bought him to get CL and 4 times in a row he losses against inferior side.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

But the difference is Man City don't monopolize the Premier League like Bayern do in the Bundesliga

46 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

Bayern is always on top.

Bayern never won more than 3 titles in a row before their current run and even that they only did twice. Thanks to his work when he was there and foundations he layed they maintained nearly a decades dominance despite quality coaches like Klopp, Tuchel, Nagelsmann, Ragnick and Rose residing at the best of the rest and Carlo and Kovac flopping.

50 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

Barca was also great before and after him with Enrique.

They finished 10 points behind Villareal the year before.

10 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Bayern never won more than 3 titles in a row before their current run and even that they only did twice. Thanks to his work when he was there and foundations he layed they maintained nearly a decades dominance despite quality coaches like Klopp, Tuchel, Nagelsmann, Ragnick and Rose residing at the best of the rest and Carlo and Kovac flopping.

Despite that, Bayern still pretty much monopolized the league. I mean, they have won 9 of the last 11 Bundesliga seasons, even when they some times gave others a headstart. The 2 times that they didn't win were of course Klopp's Dortmund but otherwise, no one else came close. And there's no point in the other sides having quality coaches when their team have less resources than Bayern and see their best players poached by Bayern along the way. 

When Guardiola leaves City, I very, very much doubt they will just continue to dominate the league, not when there are far better teams in the Premier League to challenge them than the ones in the Bundesliga. 

3 hours ago, Tomo said:

Depends whom they get in, not many Pep class managers around

1 hour ago, Jason said:

But the difference is Man City don't monopolize the Premier League like Bayern do in the Bundesliga or Barcelona do to some extent in La Liga. Let's not forget that Man City were beatable under Mancini and Pellegrini. 

Yes they get pretty much first pickings

7 minutes ago, Jason said:

Despite that, Bayern still pretty much monopolized the league. I mean, they have won 9 of the last 11 Bundesliga seasons, even when they some times gave others a headstart. The 2 times that they didn't win were of course Klopp's Dortmund but otherwise, no one else came close. And there's no point in the other sides having quality coaches when their team have less resources than Bayern and see their best players poached by Bayern along the way. 

When Guardiola leaves City, I very, very much doubt they will just continue to dominate the league, not when there are far better teams in the Premier League to challenge them than the ones in the Bundesliga. 

Yes clubs in Eng are richer and can afford better players more often than not. No team in EPL can do what we witness at some other leagues, you cant dominate for years on end.

2020-21 UEFA Champions League, Round of 16

Sevilla FC                      243.png&h=100&scale=crop&w=100&location=origin
Borussia Dortmund     124.png&h=100&scale=crop&w=100&location=origin

http://www.sportnews.to/mysports/2021/champions-league-sevilla-vs-borussia-dortmund-s2/#!

https://www.totalsportek.com/stream-page-2/

1667aeb5880992bf6136315423ea28bc.png4673e7ce440f6d6ebe8368ba79f2bd1c.png

Edited by Vesper

2020-21 UEFA Champions League, Round of 16

FC Porto              437.png&h=100&scale=crop&w=100&location=origin
Juventus              111.png&h=100&scale=crop&w=100&location=origin

http://www.sportnews.to/mysports/2021/champions-league-porto-vs-juventus-s1/#!

https://www.totalsportek.com/stream-page-1/

b2d68356e7a2b6f90a8055c534774976.png83c34fc28ba36205d44c6d1c97cf11d8.png

Edited by Vesper

26 minutes ago, Blues Forever said:

Mainly because of Sarri's failure in CL and boring football.

At least he gave them title. And Lyon was no joke. They knocked out City later. I didn't saw Pep getting sacked and City is probably more desperate for CL success. 

About boring football... Well, even here he said that he needs 2 years to make his football work. Napoli was playing better season by season... 

In his last 3 jobs he got replaced by managers who did worse. Ancelotti, Lampard and Pirlo. 

First two got sacked fast and Pirlo is not that far away by looking at results. 

Now they can enjoy Conte taking title from them. If that is what they wanted 😁

4 hours ago, NikkiCFC said:

At least he gave them title. And Lyon was no joke. They knocked out City later. I didn't saw Pep getting sacked and City is probably more desperate for CL success. 

About boring football... Well, even here he said that he needs 2 years to make his football work. Napoli was playing better season by season... 

In his last 3 jobs he got replaced by managers who did worse. Ancelotti, Lampard and Pirlo. 

First two got sacked fast and Pirlo is not that far away by looking at results. 

Now they can enjoy Conte taking title from them. If that is what they wanted 😁

City more desperate for CL success? Why do you think Juventus went all out to sign Ronaldo from Real Madrid? They bought him literally to help them get over the line in the Champions League, a competition they haven't won since 1996 despite reaching 5 finals between then and now. They are bloody desperate to win it considering they are already so successful domestically. Am sure they can survive not winning the Serie A for a season or two. 

Sarri played nice football at Napoli but never won anything with them. Gattuso came in after Ancelotti and won the Coppa Italia. So, go figure. 

The stats may suggest Lampard did worse than Sarri but on the flip side, had Sarri stayed, am not sure he would have been able to successfully integrate the youth players into the first team as Lampard did, especially after a season where he largely relied on Hazard to do the business.

I guess one could say that we and Juventus made a dumb decision to hire Sarri in the first place. Given the type of our squad and Juventus' - both excelling in pragmatic football - it was never going to work with Sarri's style of play and even more so when he's super rigid in his ways. Both teams would have to likely rebuild the entire squad just to fit his way, which would obviously be more costly and take longer than just sacking one person. Most of the players Sarri had at Napoli were already there and he just bought a few notable players over the 3 seasons to complement with the rest of the squad. So in some ways, the pieces already fell into place for him at Napoli. Plus some managers are better when managing a second-tier side than when managing a top tier side. Less pressure and all that.

6 hours ago, DANILA said:

These player-manager experiments are NOT working... Lampard, Pirlo, Arteta, Rooney... all failing. They need experience in lower leagues first. Gerrard is doing it right

How is Rooney not doing it right by starting in the Championship? How is Rooney even failing? He's won 5 of his 7 games since being appointed permanent manager of Derby. That's a decent start and it's way too early to even judge him. And managing in the Championship is probably similar to, if not tougher than, managing in the Scottish Premier League. The Championship is way more hectic than the Scottish Premier League given how many teams are trying to get promoted, although Gerrard might have more pressure considering he's managing one of the big two there.

Is Arteta really failing at Arsenal considering their recent standards? It's kinda par for the course since they are trying to rebuild after years of falling off from the best and their peak years. Different case with Lampard at Chelsea and Pirlo at Juventus where the expectations are higher, there are better players and there's more spending power. 

2 hours ago, Jason said:

Is Arteta really failing at Arsenal considering their recent standards? 

Fuck it i'll bite. Emery finished 5th with a significantly worse squad, we had a worse squad last season and finished 4th. He's also breaking negative record after negative record while extending contracts of his deadwood players (which takes away any excuse he may have had at first about players holding him back). Off the top of my head he begged Xhaka to stay, extended the Ceballos loan deal and now wants to make him permanent, made Bellerin vice captain, kept the wrong keeper, has extended Holding, Luiz, Nketiah while pissing of two of their biggest talents (Saliba and Balogun)- infact think i read on reddit that 16/24 players in the squad are at Arsenal today thanks to his input be it signing, contract extension, convincing them to stay so the not his squad excuse is long gone, he should at a minimum be challenging top 4. Also Moyes went to West Ham at the same time and look at the difference.

The excuses being created for Arteta are worse than the Torres one's, the guy is out of his depth and i hope Arsenal keep him for many years to come. 

36 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Fuck it i'll bite. Emery finished 5th with a significantly worse squad, we had a worse squad last season and finished 4th. He's also breaking negative record after negative record while extending contracts of his deadwood players (which takes away any excuse he may have had at first about players holding him back). Off the top of my head he begged Xhaka to stay, extended the Ceballos loan deal and now wants to make him permanent, made Bellerin vice captain, kept the wrong keeper, has extended Holding, Luiz, Nketiah while pissing of two of their biggest talents (Saliba and Balogun)- infact think i read on reddit that 16/24 players in the squad are at Arsenal today thanks to his input be it signing, contract extension, convincing them to stay so the not his squad excuse is long gone, he should at a minimum be challenging top 4. Also Moyes went to West Ham at the same time and look at the difference.

The excuses being created for Arteta are worse than the Torres one's, the guy is out of his depth and i hope Arsenal keep him for many years to come. 

For the record, I wasn't making excuses for Arteta and I could care less about whether he's out of his depth or not. The point is, Arsenal's expectations are at their lowest in ages. They seem content with taking the long road back to the top and content with being an "experimental playground" for Arteta. Not sure if anyone would be batting an eyelid if they finish outside the Top 4 or even the Top 6 this season.