Chelsea vs Benfica

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone know who's on a yellow card away from suspension?

http://www.soccerpunter.com/soccer-statistics/Europe/UEFA-Champions-League-2011-2012/team_info_overall/661_Chelsea_FC

Meireles is the only player on 4 yellow cards, so he'd be in danger of being suspended for the Semi Finals.

Yup, those are the 3. It's stated in the UEFA Match Press Kit.

i hope meireles gets yellow carded for complaining from the bench. That way he wont start vs Barca/Milan (IF we get through) even if we go for 3 CDM's!

i hope meireles gets yellow carded for complaining from the bench. That way he wont start vs Barca/Milan (IF we get through) even if we go for 3 CDM's!

Becareful for what you wish for...

It will be interesting what team he puts out, whether he goes for the experience of Ferreira again and the "freshness" of Kalou.

The players he brought in were a suprised to me, but the gamble paid off.

I wonder how we'll go about the game. Will we look to defend and nick a goal and keep it tight, or will we try and blast Benfica out of the water and go for an early 3 or 4 goal aggregate lead? I think the former would be a far better option, Benfica are a quality side and no doubt they'll come out and attack from the whistle. We can exploit that and play on the counter, but I don't think we should try to out-attack them. Of course, an attacking approach will be the last thing they expect so maybe we should go all out for the opening 5 minutes to catch them off guard and hopefully score a goal before withdrawing and defending for the rest of the match.

Huge tactical headache for me, thank god it's di Matteo's problem and not mine :)

They have to come at us anyway, think it will be slow for the first 10-20 min and catch them on the break, keep it tight and simple and i think we will do it, cant go all guns blazing because they will cause us problems, keep it simple and tight and get the basics right and hello semi final

We can't go into this game thinking about having that 1-0 lead and away goal. Need to treat this as if the tie is still 0-0 and where conceding a goal would be a disaster.

conceding will be a disaster, im not sure if anyone knows this all the talk of our away goal, if benfica score more than 1 then score draws they go though as they would have scored more than us

I'm having a brain lapse here. If the score Wed is say Chelsea 4 - Benfica 2, Chelsea still go through on aggregate, right? The away goal and multi-tasking is messing with my head.

WTF man? :D Of course that result would mean victory for Chelsea because then it would be 5-2 on aggregate. Only if Benfica win 1-2 or 2-3 etc. or by a margin of 2 or more then Benfica goes to the semifinals.

I'm having a brain lapse here. If the score Wed is say Chelsea 4 - Benfica 2, Chelsea still go through on aggregate, right? The away goal and multi-tasking is messing with my head.

If the score is 4-2 chelsea go through with a total of 5-2 but lets say benfica win 2-1 at the bridge and its a total of 2-2 Benfica go through because have scored 2 away goals and we only 1!

The whole away goal thing only counts when both teams have scored the same amount of goals after both legs have been played ;).

My little red notification button was quite busy.

Like I admitted to...brain lapse. Sometimes you look at something and make it much harder than it needs to be. That's me with the away goal.

Thanks for the clarification. I'll start worrying IF Benfica scores.