Your Matchday Superstitions

So, do you have any? They range from the minimalistic to the downright strange, I knew a Chelsea fan at school who would always wear mismatched socks to school the day before the match.

As for me, I make it a point to never fall asleep wearing the colours of our opponents.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have hundreds. I'm not even joking, I'm ridiculously superstitious when it comes to football. I have to ensure things are in a certain place, when I'm going to the Bridge (unfortunately very rarely these days) I have a particular pre-match ritual, and mainly it is a load of little things. Like I have a 'lucky shirt' that we've only ever lost twice in, for the sixty or so times I've worn it for matches. Then there's my lucky ring, we've never won when I've forgotten to put that on before a match. Plus dozens of other little things. Its absolutely ridiculous because I'm not a superstitious person, bar for football!

I have hundreds. I'm not even joking, I'm ridiculously superstitious when it comes to football. I have to ensure things are in a certain place, when I'm going to the Bridge (unfortunately very rarely these days) I have a particular pre-match ritual, and mainly it is a load of little things. Like I have a 'lucky shirt' that we've only ever lost twice in, for the sixty or so times I've worn it for matches. Then there's my lucky ring, we've never won when I've forgotten to put that on before a match. Plus dozens of other little things. Its absolutely ridiculous because I'm not a superstitious person, bar for football!

Better wear that shirt and ring tommorow!

I used to always wear the shirt we're about to play in, that fucked up naturally. I used to have superstitions but then i thought that everyone else has them so if mine works, someone elses from the opposing side will fuck up right? So i just ditched em all. We're still not a bad side lol. My newest one is that Arsenal are always shit when i don't watch them or keep tabs on their score. Love that one.

There's a few that don't change, time leaving home for home games, only using the same set of services to on certain Motorways. But other things influence as well, such as I had a hair-cut the day we lost our home unbeaten record to L*******L, that's it no more hair-cuts on matchdays anymore. I took the Audi to the game versus Arsenal this season, no more trips in the Audi for me.

Whereas when I was playing it was exactly the same superstitions all the time. The time I got to the ground for home games, the same seat on the coach/bus for away game's, right-sock on before left. Vick on the chest before up the nose - I knew really that any of them didn't make any difference really, but nevertheless had to do the same each time.

Alex, I think this is just one more reason I love you! :heart:

If the game is on during the night (for me), I sleep in my JT Jersey :eyebrows:

We always win if I fall asleep during the 2nd half. Accidently of course.

We never win if that happens to me.

Although, tbf, thats only been tested out twice; during those 'shit on a stick' Mourinho/Benitez era Chelsea Liverpool semi finals.

I used to always wear the shirt we're about to play in, that fucked up naturally. I used to have superstitions but then i thought that everyone else has them so if mine works, someone elses from the opposing side will fuck up right? So i just ditched em all. We're still not a bad side lol. My newest one is that Arsenal are always shit when i don't watch them or keep tabs on their score. Love that one.

Its the exact opposite for me :D Whenever I watch Arsenal, they fuck it up. I let it go for their CL 2nd leg against Milan as I wanted to watch our youth team. But as soon as I saw the score at half time, I panicked and switched to the Arsenal game and lo and behold :D

As far as Chelsea is concerned, our team never wins whenever I have a tiff with my GF. I have been observing it for nearly two years now. So I try not to get on her bad side on matchday :D

Last few season we'll always lose if I didn't wear shorts and thongs (thongs as in flip flops I think you call it) but this season we started to lose even when I was wearing them.

But I have noticed that last few games where we've won, I've worn the some undies, lol. So maybe I'll wear them when we play.