John Terry: Racist slur?

LDN Blue

You know this has really bothered me (not just because it involves the Chelsea captain) and I've had this thought and I really couldn't find the right words to express it. Then it kinda came to me.

The real issue I see it is not racism or at least it's not the entire picture. It's like saying the United States has a glock 22 problem instead of a gun problem. "Racism" is merely one piece of the problem which is abusive chanting and abusive trash talking in English football.

Why is insults about race especially taboo? Because of the historical baggage of the slave trade, colonialzation, segregation, etc. Take that all way, let's just say we lived in a world where the atlantic slave trade, Nazis or Jim Crow never happened, strip it all away and what is racist abuse? It's merely making fun of someone's physical attributes, also cultural attributes based on what they look like they're from.

So forgetting the historical baggage is calling someone "Hey you black f***!" wrong? Yeah, but so is calling someone a "fat f***" Or for that matter insulting someone's mother etc. Football fans don't make monkey noises because they're "racist" in the extreme sense of the word. It's just another way to get under a person's skin. Like you bring up Wayne Rooney prostitution thing. I'm not saying it's not wrong, but to link that with the real RACIST RACIST stuff that happened in the past is not logical.

The problem is more about inappropriate chanting not just racist chanting. Like I said, racism is merely one weapon, like a glock 22. The real issue is abusive chanting to footballers period and also abusive from one footballer to another. NOT JUST RACIST ONES.

Also I find it kinda laughable how now there is extreme overreaction to "racism". But what I mean is where was this lovely sentiment against racism when it was like ACTUALLY NEEDED. Nobody gave a sh** against racism when England had India as a colony and treated Indians like 2nd class citizens, or when England used African laborers like slaves or when England was bombarding China's coast, addicting them to opium and treating Chinese people like inferior beings.

Oh right everybody was racist back then, now present day we're so vigilant over racism, god forbid some footballer make some racist insult and we've got to stop John Terry before England becomes Nazi Germany/Jim Crow Southern America. Really it's punishing John Terry that's lynchpin to saving the western world from reverting to our racist past.

Really I'm not writing this to defend John Terry, it's the complete disgust at the media and people in general to turn a issue like racism and completley miss the point entirely and turn it into a absolute joke. Cliches and sanctimonious bullshit rather than a honest look at the issue.

great post, but the sad part is that you can't and won't be able to change anything, ever. it's people's nature to attack others and since it's prohibited to punch somebody they will find other weaknesses to exploit. appearance being the easiest one.

• Replies 984
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

** Must Read **

The thing that is really annoying me is that the word " Racist " is only used for the white people.

For example, A black guy calls me a white cunt. So, I'm going to take him to the court and of course I'll get laughed at !!!

I heard that in Scotland, if u call a person a black cunt, your talking about a jakey, dirty looking person. But in some other countries, if you call a person a black cunt,

everyones acting like it's the end of the fuckin world ! OH MY GOD HE CALLED HIM A BLACK CUNT OH MY GOD OH MY GOD !!!

Isn't anyone there to tell them to shut the fuck up complete morons ?? Football is a game for men . Get on with it or tear back at him or break his leg... End of the

damn story.

** Must Read **

The thing that is really annoying me is that the word " Racist " is only used for the white people.

For example, A black guy calls me a white cunt. So, I'm going to take him to the court and of course I'll get laughed at !!!

I heard that in Scotland, if u call a person a black cunt, your talking about a jakey, dirty looking person. But in some other countries, if you call a person a black cunt,

everyones acting like it's the end of the fuckin world ! OH MY GOD HE CALLED HIM A BLACK CUNT OH MY GOD OH MY GOD !!!

Isn't anyone there to tell them to shut the fuck up complete morons ?? Football is a game for men . Get on with it or tear back at him or break his leg... End of the

damn story.

You sound racist.

Michael Jordan, called one of his younger teammates a "faggot" when he was a player with the Wizards.

Was that wrong? Yes. But would it have been neccessary to label Jordan a homophobic and say he's disgraced his legacy and have the police file charges, and have this whole media storm, and raise this whole issue of homophobia in the NBA and professional sports? NO. It was reported, there was some controversy but it faded quickly.

The player he called a "faggot" wasn't actually gay but I'm sure his feelings were hurt (I think it was reported he cried) so that doesn't make it any less heinous than calling Anton Ferdinand (who was saying some nasty things of his own) whatever Terry was accused of.

Also if it sounds like I'm willing to go to extreme lengths to defend John Terry, it's because I am. I don't mind being a shameless apologist for John Terry.

I'm a Portland Trail Blazers fan, I've had to go through a lot more embarassing player incidents than this for a team that's won far far less. I've had my team sign a player that was recently convicted of forcing his nanny to perform oral sex on him, in other words sexual assault. Blazers players insulting the fans and saying they don't matter, drunk driving, smoking marijuana, dog fighting, one player sucker punching another in practice, a (black) player calling his (black) coach a n*****, and one player throwing a towel at a teammate in front of a national tv audience.

So if you'll excuse me if I think Ashley Cole calling the FA twats on his Twitter or the John Terry Anton Ferdinand incident is small potatoes. Maybe I'm just a terrible person, but my tolerance of athletes misbehavior is very high. It'll take a lot more than this for me to turn on John Terry.

John Terry's a disgrace? Please. Maybe it is a god idea for London to have a NFL team, then the english media can see what REAL controversy looks like.

Michael Jordan, called one of his younger teammates a "faggot" when he was a player with the Wizards.

Was that wrong? Yes. But would it have been neccessary to label Jordan a homophobic and say he's disgraced his legacy and have the police file charges, and have this whole media storm, and raise this whole issue of homophobia in the NBA and professional sports? NO. It was reported, there was some controversy but it faded quickly.

The player he called a "faggot" wasn't actually gay but I'm sure his feelings were hurt (I think it was reported he cried) so that doesn't make it any less heinous than calling Anton Ferdinand (who was saying some nasty things of his own) whatever Terry was accused of.

Also if it sounds like I'm willing to go to extreme lengths to defend John Terry, it's because I am. I don't mind being a shameless apologist for John Terry.

I'm a Portland Trail Blazers fan, I've had to go through a lot more embarassing player incidents than this for a team that's won far far less. I've had my team sign a player that was recently convicted of forcing his nanny to perform oral sex on him, in other words sexual assault. Blazers players insulting the fans and saying they don't matter, drunk driving, smoking marijuana, dog fighting, one player sucker punching another in practice, a (black) player calling his (black) coach a n*****, and one player throwing a towel at a teammate in front of a national tv audience.

So if you'll excuse me if I think Ashley Cole calling the FA twats on his Twitter or the John Terry Anton Ferdinand incident is small potatoes. Maybe I'm just a terrible person, but my tolerance of athletes misbehavior is very high. It'll take a lot more than this for me to turn on John Terry.

John Terry's a disgrace? Please. Maybe it is a god idea for London to have a NFL team, then the english media can see what REAL controversy looks like.

Good post and I think David James summed all this recent controversy up when he said along the lines of theres a lot of peoples jobs and salaries invested in creating these non-events

@Hybrid Angel, you have a point. It does happen, black abuse are treated more carefully and with a lot more protection. Also, due to historic sequelaes, african descendants feel a natural tendency for anything to be racist. White people usually dont. However, if you have proves and go to court, a white race abuse have to be dealed with the same laws as a black one. It all falls under "racism".

The issue is that the more common ends up being the one media picks on (black racism, homophobia, arab prejudice, etc)...

I look forward to the day where on the field issues dominate the news and not off the field issues... TBH its all playground stuff... HOWEVER, i am not saying it is right to call someone a "black cnut" or anything like that, but is there really the need for the amount of coverage these things get. They should recognise it and then hand out their ban or fine. If it happens again the punishment goes up.. But for it to be in the news for a year is soooo extreme. And now the clattenburg thing etc. No one also seems to care that the words that were used... I.e. The Cnut part. Now that happens but what i am saying is that i find it extremely strange that no one cares about the abusive language that occurs all the time in football, yet as soon as someone puts a word such as "black" the whole thing gets extremely out of control. (Again not saying that it is ok to say it but there comes a point where you have to move on). I do agree with Hybrid angel that there does appear to be a difference there at times, though we shouldn't be condoning any of it. But the extent to which some has gone... I.e. Getting the police involved was absurd. My mates call me worse than that and we just joke it off, but surely there is a better use of police time and taxpayer money. In the heat of the moment things get said, i.e you are a describe the person here, whether it be a nationality, race or attribute, i.e. you are a spainish/white/fat/other various name calling etc.......... Most people have said something like that in the heat of the moment... And there gets a point where someone has to apologise and move on.

HOWEVER!!!!!!

Things like monkey gestures/chants are of a different nature and should be dealt with much more seriously.