Lucky or....?

Wilson

I mean we beat City but by 1 goal, a penalty. Then yesterday we draw 1-1 with Wigan? How the fuck do we do it? Did we get lucky vs City? The ref could have easily given them a pen although I think Silvs was at it personally. Today you might say we were unlucky? True, we had chances and didn't take them. Any other team would have. We were shit today. I know we can perform better on any match we have played this season, yet we have not done it. Only Mata, Romeu, Meireles, Ramires and JT have. In my opinion anyway. I know we are better. Perhaps replacements for Kalou, Torres, Drogba and Bosingwa are in order. Also sell Mikel and Ferreira. No disrespect to anyone mentioned though, but it must be done for the best interest of the club.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What chances did we have :/

Because I can't recall a single one besides the Danny goal and Drogbas header.

We were woeful. And I agree city should have had a pen, and probably win the game as we would be unlikely to comeback. But that has no significance and we won a hard earned match. Hard to say we earned anything against Wigan

Abysmal performance would be an understatement

Wigan played the following formation.. 5-5-0.

I'd like to see you try to figure a way of 3 attackers breaking through a defence of 5 players... Unbelievable.

You mean like we did against Valencia and City?

Ps, its what the manager and players are paid hundreds of thousands of pounds for. Maybe every smaller team should play 5-5-0 cos according to you it's tough to find a way through, and they would get a draw every time.

You mean like we did against Valencia and City?

Ps, its what the manager and players are paid hundreds of thousands of pounds for. Maybe every smaller team should play 5-5-0 cos according to you it's tough to find a way through, and they would get a draw every time.

What do mean like we did v Valencia and City? We beat Valencia 3-0! City we absorbed pressure because of their attacking strength but got them on counters.

Well I believe they call it 'parking the bus'. You can pay them what you want, but if the opposition defence is solid then we can't say they should've done more, if they're already trying! You saw what it took for us to even score 1, a fantastic ball from Ash over their heads with Sturridge doing some good work to control it. Aside from that we could barely breakthrough, it was that type of game. We are not so strong that we can break down every defence, yet.

I'd like to see you try to figure a way of 3 attackers breaking through a defence of 5 players... Unbelievable.

You are in a bad day. Wigan is a relegation zone side. There is no excuse for that result mate.

RZA is right, any team struggles when teams play 11 men behind the ball, its a fact how many times have you seen a team park the bus and the opposition still battered them anyway?

Look at Jose's first season at the club, we played a relegation threatened Birmingham side at Stamford Bridge in the prem (i was there that day), Bruce put 11 men behind the ball in the first half and we were reduced to ONE shot in a dire first half and that was when we were at our peak. Infact Birmingham took a smash and grab lead in that one Pandiani scoring it luckily Drogba scored late on to save us, but the point im trying to make is we were at our peak back then but struggles against a team that put everyone behind the ball. Infact Tottenham did exactly the same that season and came away with a 0-0.

Arsenal's "invincibles" fell foul to numerous bore draws that season because of teams parking everyone behind the ball.

I know it's not the same but when i use to play sunday league i played for one of the best side's which meant team's playing 11 men behind the ball alot and believe me although we were miles better it was bloody hard trying to break them down, just as often as not we didn't manage it.

So i don't think we can be blamed for failing to create many chances against a side that parked 11 men behind the ball, it's not unusual to strugle in those circumstances.

Wigan were a lot open against Arsenal and got ripped to pieces (which probally why they parked the bus today).

Wigan do seem to be in general an awkward customer to every top team bar United. Arsenal's win their a few weeks ago was only their 2nd in 5 attempts and they actually beat us when we won the double.

Not disputing that it is a disapointing result however.

You are in a bad day. Wigan is a relegation zone side. There is no excuse for that result mate.

I would agree on this rather than what RZA mentioned.

Yes they parked the bus and put us in a spot (which is something most of the small team do agaisnt the big guns). But how did they end up having more shots on goals than us. because in a scenario where one team is having most of the players defending the ratio of shot on goals by the attacking team should be more as to the defending one. It was not the case this time, so either Wigan developed super powers since their last match to defend and attack superbly or we were just not upto the task.

I'd say we were pretty lucky not to lose against Wigan because we were so undetermined. Had Wigan been in the right mood and played with the same sort of passion they played with two years ago at DW, that would have been THE ass-kicking of the season.

We were complacent. Add in the fact that as we had neither Essien nor Ramires (or even Luiz pushing forward from CB) we have no significant drive in the centre of the pitch - it all makes for a difficult night in the north-west. Wigan were excellent and we thought we'd trounce them; an awful attitude for the players to adopt. It stinks of arrogance, we did not deserve to win at all yesterday and Wigan fans should be proud of their wonderful, determined performance. I'd love to see our players put in that much effort again, not just when it suits them (ie. Valencia, City).