Is this a sign?

Superblue

Whoever wins the Champions League every year requires some form of luck at some point during the competition. Unfortunately for us, some of the teams that have gone on to win it have had their fair share of luck against us over the years.

One thing that I personally have never enjoyed (and we've subsequently struggled with) is playing against English teams in the Champs League.

Since Abramovich brought the club we have played an English team in the Champs League in 7 out of the last 8 seasons:

2004 - Arsenal (QF)

2005 - Liverpool (SF)

2006 - Liverpool (Group Stage)

2007 - Liverpool (SF)

2008 - Liverpool (SF), Man Utd (F)

2009 - Liverpool (QF)

2011 - Man Utd (QF)

With United and City's plight, not only have two real top teams fallen away, but there is a lot less chance of playing an English team this year. And if we do, despite our loss a couple of weeks ago, Arsenal are arguably the weakest of the English teams to play.

I just have this feeling that we will be much stronger in 2012 under AVB, and with a couple of decent draws and some of the bigger sides knocking each other out, this could be the year when luck is on our side and during our supposed period of 'transition' it would be highly ironic if this were the time the holy grail finally arrives at the Bridge?!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, i don't think we can win it, i think it will be the same usual champions league for the last 2 years, out in the quarters. We havent beat any big teams so far, and what makes you think we can do it in Champions League, luck is required, but we also need a good squad most of all, perhaps if we spend on new squad players i would of been confident but we didn't.

It's just ironic that things like this will generally happen. At potentially the weakest we have been in years, and in need of rebuilding we get the breaks this year that we haven't previously.

Also after years of trying for some in our squad it will also be ironic if we were to win it with a number of them arguably past their prime (Lamps, JT, Drogba, Cole)

What I think could be the biggest factor this season will be where we are stationed in the league come February. If we are, say 10-12 points behind City or the league leader (a possibility given our inconsistencies this season) then there is a chance that we will play for top 4, with the concentration on the Champs League, allowing us to keep the squad fresh for Europe. We learnt this to our detriment with Liverpool a couple of times that it can be a great benefit to not be in the title race.

Let's wait what happens in January... what players we bring in and how well they will integrate with the rest. If we get some real quality, we won't be needing as much luck as we would now.

Although it would be the perfect time to win it with Drogba still in the team. Lampard and Terry will have a couple of more years to try, but this is very likely Drogba's last chance with us. At the moment I'm not too optimistic... But this is good because all the previous years (pretty much) we were optimistic and amongst the favourites, but not anymore.. As someone said, the title will come to Chelsea when they least expect it. I hope :)

It is possible for Chelsea to win CL this year? Yes.

Are chances high for that to happen? No.

But yeah, we do deserve some bloody luck in this damn competition and someone once said "Champions League will come for Chelsea when the at least expect it."

You never know what football can throw out at you. How many of you expected City and United not to qualify at the beginning of CL? 0, but it happened.

Keep the faith.

No, i don't think we can win it, i think it will be the same usual champions league for the last 2 years, out in the quarters. We havent beat any big teams so far, and what makes you think we can do it in Champions League, luck is required, but we also need a good squad most of all, perhaps if we spend on new squad players i would of been confident but we didn't.

After 2005 when the weakest team in the whole competition (more so when it got to the knockout) won it i think anyone who is in it can win it, even Apeol.

After 2005 when the weakest team in the whole competition (more so when it got to the knockout) won it i think anyone who is in it can win it, even Apeol.

But back then there wasn't this Barcelona we have today, i still think Barcelona have got this one in there pocket. If there was somehow any luck, that Barcelona and Real Madrid were knocked out, i would have faith, but them two teams are a different class to us.

But back then there wasn't this Barcelona we have today, i still think Barcelona have got this one in there pocket. If there was somehow any luck, that Barcelona and Real Madrid were knocked out, i would have faith, but them two teams are a different class to us.

I disagree, I don't think they are unbeatable, but our faith rely on a luck draw. When I saw the game against Valencia, despite the win, I think we did not played like an european champions side.

When I saw the game against Valencia, despite the win, I think we did not played like an european champions side.

Really? Valencia lost to Real Madrid 3-2 the other day, and draw 2-2 too Barca. On our day, if we can bring our A game we are a match for any team. I personally felt the game against Valencia was one of our finest performances in a long, long time. If we add a few names in January like Hazard or Modric who knows how good we can be.

You don't always have to be the best side in Europe to win the champions league. We have found that out in the years gone by.

Liverpool and inter Milan were on te cusp of getting kicked out of the champions League in the earlier stages only to go on and win it.

WE NEED LUCK!!!

Ironically we will win it when we r least expected to win it.

Seriousley, they arent unbeatable. Getafe beat barcelona...etc. I know they are very good, but if u play very defensive and use counterattacking u can beat them. Sorta like we did against valencia.

We are closer to them two teams than Liverpool back then were to Us, Juventus or AC Millan.