What should be our defence against Manchester City?

Tomo

With David Luiz suspended and Alex almost certain to be left out who will we play in the back 4 against City?

There is the obvious back line which is

Bosingwa-----Ivanovic----Terry----Cole

But that back line has never won us a big match and with that combo we are all over the place. Ivanovic is not as good in the centre than he is on the right where he is completely solid and enough has already been said about Bossy on the right hand side. Silva and Aguero will have a field day, so assuming Alex does not get considered we have to go with this.

Ivanovic------???????----Terry----Cole

But the question is who do we play in that vacant CB spot? as it will be a player out of position.

Here's a few ideas.

Paulo Ferreira - ONLY JOKING :D

Ryan Bertrand - He has played there a few times before and he has the pace Terry doesn't and that could come in seriously handy against Aguero. It's a risk granted but i don't see how it's a bigger risk then playing that dreaded back four combo which has never won us a big match. That or put Ryan at LB and Ash in the centre.

Oriol Romeu - He has got good defensive qualities and AVB said after the Fulham match that (after Alex's red card) Oriol moving down to centre back was a option. If that's the case we can move Oriol down to CB and place Mikel in defensive midfield.

Nathaniel Chalaboh - This would be a huge call and a huge shock by AVB but remember (ironically against the same opponents) Dalglish doing the same last season bringing Flanagan in for his debut against City and it payed dividence, maybe AVB could do the same here?

That are the option if Alex does not play.

Although i don't see why we can't play Alex, he is still on our payroll and he will surely want to give himself a good send off and a goodbye to the fans, what better way to do it than play a blinder against City?

Edited by Tomo-91

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Really don't think we would stick a 16 year old who has never played a proper game for the first team up against Aguero, Dzeko or Balotelli. Bertrand probably wouldn't go there either. I don't see Alex being completely frozen out and that would be very unfair if we did do that. I would expect him or Ivanovic to start alongside Terry

I think it'd be a brave call if AVB went with someone other than Iva, or Alex (just because he handed in a transfer request doesn't mean he doesn't have to play if he was asked to). But AVB did say a couple of times (when we first signed him) that romeu could play as CB, though I'm not sure the game against the best attack in europe is the best one to test him in the position.

I would rather Paulo Ferreira start's instead of Bossy if it came down to it.

If the last couple of years are anything to go by Paulo will either have a stormer and help win us the match (Old Trafford April 2010) or have a complete shocker (White Hart Lane April 2010, Emirates December 2010) but atleast we could have a great match from Paulo with Bossy we wont.

I'd rather have Bosingwa starting than Alex.

Actually yeah I agree JT + Alex against a pacey attack that includes Silva, Johnson, Milner, Aguero and co. will be suicidal.

Bosingwa is a disaster waiting to happen but Sturridge and Ramires will have to track back to cover for him which is definitely possible if AVB gives them specific instructions to do so

yeah, the best attack in Europe really showed its might against München and Napoli :rolleyes:

Ivanovic - Alex - Terry - Cole

I meant statistically of course. They don't have nearly as much chemistry in the team as Barcelona or Bayern Munich.

I would rather Paulo Ferreira start's instead of Bossy if it came down to it.

If the last couple of years are anything to go by Paulo will either have a stormer and help win us the match (Old Trafford April 2010) or have a complete shocker (White Hart Lane April 2010, Emirates December 2010) but atleast we could have a great match from Paulo with Bossy we wont.

I do wonder about his fitness levels though. He hasn't played a single game all season, has he??

Whilst on the topic of Ferreira... I'm quite pissed that we didn't sell him off in the summer. He isn't being played at all. What are his wages? They must be 60k at least. So we're going to pay him 3 million pounds in salary for the entire year for doing nothing. At least the likes of Kalou and Malouda do contribute a bit

I'd rather have Bosingwa starting than Alex.

That depends, are we going to keep the high-line? Or play deeper like we did today in the second half?

If it's the later then Alex will not be so bad. If it's the former...well the we're screwed anyway!

I do wonder about his fitness levels though. He hasn't played a single game all season, has he??

Whilst on the topic of Ferreira... I'm quite pissed that we didn't sell him off in the summer. He isn't being played at all. What are his wages? They must be 60k at least. So we're going to pay him 3 million pounds in salary for the entire year for doing nothing. At least the likes of Kalou and Malouda do contribute a bit

He played in the carling cup against Fulham and the second half against Genk at home and i think he has made one sub app in the league but don't quote me on that.

I don't even care about the high-line, just don't want an uninterested Alex playing, and giving away another penalty :lol:

Then we should play him defensive midfield ;)

Let's not kid ourselves...Paulo is a club legend but I rather play Bosingwa over him.

I disagree, atleast Paulo has some good games against big teams, Bosingwa never has for us.