What should be our defence against Manchester City?

Tomo

Bosingwa - Ivanovic - Terry - Cole I'm almost 90% sure. I hope AVB plays them deep like he did against Newcastle. Silva and Aguero will kick our asses if we use the highline.

City will certainly look at attack us and since they play only with 2 real midfielders we could hit them well on counter attacks.

Bertrand, Chalobah and Romeu as CBs? No way. They are even bigger risk then Bos and Ivan on the right side of our defense.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd definitely play Romeu at CB... ANYTHING to avoid playing Bosingwa but very unlikely that will happen :(

Completely agree, been such a breath of fresh air seeing bosingwa out of the XI....to be honest, Alex could be involved, it doesn't seem he 'hates' the club, he wants regular first team football because he is good enough for it, doesn't mean he won't play well for us, on the other hand his mind might be elsewhere.

Ferreira and Chalobah can't be considered to face Aguero, Dzeko,Balotelli,Johnson or Silva, for the two different sides of age....

Romeu could probably handle it for the majority of the time but i would rather him being in DM keeping that role to himself and improving game in game out, after all someone with that passing talent can't be wasted at centre half when we're trying to find gaps in city's defence.

I have made this point before on the Forum and think i got some disagreement but i have played football for 15 years, am left footed and a centre half, but Right Back...is the easiest position on the field..... Therefore... move brana inside with JT, obviously Ash on the left, and put Ryan on the right hand side, he's got the pace and brana will support him all day...

I highly doubt this will happen...which brings us back to Jose Bosingwa being picked.... :doh:

I disagree, atleast Paulo has some good games against big teams, Bosingwa never has for us.

When was the last time Paulo had one of those games? He hasn't played in an awful long time and carling cup games aside he has no fitness at all

If Ramires + Sturridge are assigned a role to track back and double team on whoever plays on City's left, then Bosingwa won't be isolated

When was the last time Paulo had one of those games? He hasn't played in an awful long time and carling cup games aside he has no fitness at all

White Hart Lane last season, when Bosingwa got injured and Ivan had to move to the centre, the world and his dog expected Bale to humilate him but Bale didn't get a sniff all game. Funnily enough that match was his first for a long time aswell.

Old Trafford in THAT match that won us the league he was awesome throughout.

White Hart Lane last season, when Bosingwa got injured and Ivan had to move to the centre, the world and his dog expected Bale to humilate him but Bale didn't get a sniff all game. Funnily enough that match was his first for a long time aswell.

Old Trafford in THAT match that won us the league he was awesome throughout.

Oh yeah forgot about that 3 point lane performance. I still dunno.... think AVB will stick with Bos

Bartron .??? do you mean Bertrand?..

Yeh there was that annoying commentator that kept calling him Bartron lol

I'm certain it'll be the usual: Bosingwa - Ivanovic - Terry - Cole Bosingwa will get skinned. Meireles must be deployed to help him.

I trust Ramires more than Meireles to do that. Raul doesn't have the complete discipline that Rambo has and can lose concentration and leave gaps

I trust Ramires more than Meireles to do that. Raul doesn't have the complete discipline that Rambo has and can lose concentration and leave gaps

I suppose so. I'd have a 5-man midfield for this, because this area would be crucial.

---------Ramires - Romeu

Meireles - Mata - Lampard

However, Sturridge won't be played as a lone striker, we know this from André so I imagine we'll see..

---------Romeu

Ramires - Meireles

Don't think Lampard's right for this game.

I suppose so. I'd have a 5-man midfield for this, because this area would be crucial.

---------Ramires - Romeu

Meireles - Mata - Lampard

However, Sturridge won't be played as a lone striker, we know this from André so I imagine we'll see..

---------Romeu

Ramires - Meireles

Don't think Lampard's right for this game.

I'm still not 100% convinced on Meireles' discipline so I'm not sure if it would be a liability playing him against City where, like you mentioned, midfield will be the key. Today when he came on a couple of times he didn't/was slow tracking back and left holes in front of Romeu. Lampard won't give you much in an attacking sense but he does have discipline to sit and do the simple stuff.

I disagree, at least Paulo has some good games against big teams, Bosingwa never has for us.

I do remember a couple of seasons ago Bos played on the left side & put Da Messiah into his pocket. I know, that was before he serious knee injury of last season. I have faith in Bos that he can do the business midweek over Los Che.