Crazy(?) Idea About Our Centre Backs.

Valens

Just had a crazy idea guys, tell me what you think.

Luiz should move to DM permanently(edit: not permanently, just less often). Why? Because he makes great runs and he's a great passer. Knowing that he isn't the last line of defense SHOULD make his less rash, so there's his weakness nullified (in theory).

Before I go on let me explain something. There are two types of CBs IMO. You have the hardmen (Vidic, Puyol, Bane, Terry, Vermaelen, etc.) and then you have the 'janitors' (because they mop up after the hardmen, get it?). That would be your Luiz, Carvalho, Ferdinand, Pique, etc. The hardmen win the aerial battles, make the tough tackles and blocks and just be general badasses. The janitors are quick, intercept balls, read the game, track pacey strikers and cover the hardmen. IMO, we have three hardmen and only one janitor. The best CB pairings need one of each. A ying and a yang. The problem with our janitor (the one and only David Luiz) is that he's too clumsy at times to play CB. His mistakes are more likely to cost us points (as we saw not too long ago). He would best be suited for the DM or box-to-box role. But where does that leave us at the back? Well......there's another janitor we haven't noticed. Oreo Romeu. Him and Luiz are practically identical but there's one big difference - Romeu knows how to keep it tidy. Not hatin' on Luiz - he'll sort out his mistakes sooner or later - but I think Romeu has the makings of a great 'janitor' CB. Let's see his resume...

1. Fast. You need to be fast if you're playing next to JT/Bane/Alex since they aren't speed machines. I think we can agree Romeu is fast.

2. Great reader of the game and interceptor of the ball. Romeu has this in his locker. The way he reads the game is spectacular.

3. Physical. Romeu isn't afraid of physicality unlike his compatriot from the Blaugrana. He can hold his own.

4. Great tackler. We've seen some of the tackles he's made which were timed to perfection.

5. Keeps a cool head. Romeu exudes calm. He's like the opposite of Luiz. Yes, he made a couple of mistakes on his debut but I think that was just him adjusting to the English game.

5. Creativity with the ball. Not really required of a CB but it's the icing on the cake for Romeu. He can pick out a pass from the back just as good as Luiz can (he is from Barca after all).

So yea. Luiz should be DM (maybe even B2B) and Romeu should play CB as the ying to Terry's/Bane's yang. Good idea? Or am I just stupid? Let me know.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just had a crazy idea guys, tell me what you think.

Luiz should move to DM permanently. Why? Because he makes great runs and he's a great passer. Knowing that he isn't the last line of defense SHOULD make his less rash, so there's his weakness nullified (in theory).

Before I go on let me explain something. There are two types of CBs IMO. You have the hardmen (Vidic, Puyol, Bane, Terry, Vermaelen, etc.) and then you have the 'janitors' (because they mop up after the hardmen, get it?). That would be your Luiz, Carvalho, Ferdinand, Pique, etc. The hardmen win the aerial battles, make the tough tackles and blocks and just be general badasses. The janitors are quick, intercept balls, read the game, track pacey strikers and cover the hardmen. IMO, we have three hardmen and only one janitor. The best CB pairings need one of each. A ying and a yang. The problem with our janitor (the one and only David Luiz) is that he's too clumsy at times to play CB. His mistakes are more likely to cost us points (as we saw not too long ago). He would best be suited for the DM or box-to-box role. But where does that leave us at the back? Well......there's another janitor we haven't noticed. Oreo Romeu. Him and Luiz are practically identical but there's one big difference - Romeu knows how to keep it tidy. Not hatin' on Luiz - he'll sort out his mistakes sooner or later - but I think Romeu has the makings of a great 'janitor' CB. Let's see his resume...

1. Fast. You need to be fast if you're playing next to JT/Bane/Alex since they aren't speed machines. I think we can agree Romeu is fast.

2. Great reader of the game and interceptor of the ball. Romeu has this in his locker. The way he reads the game is spectacular.

3. Physical. Romeu isn't afraid of physicality unlike his compatriot from the Blaugrana. He can hold his own.

4. Great tackler. We've seen some of the tackles he's made which were timed to perfection.

5. Keeps a cool head. Romeu exudes calm. He's like the opposite of Luiz. Yes, he made a couple of mistakes on his debut but I think that was just him adjusting to the English game.

5. Creativity with the ball. Not really required of a CB but it's the icing on the cake for Romeu. He can pick out a pass from the back just as good as Luiz can (he is from Barca after all).

So yea. Luiz should be DM (maybe even B2B) and Romeu should play CB as the ying to Terry's/Bane's yang. Good idea? Or am I just stupid? Let me know.

I stopped reading right there...

Maybe permanently wasn't the right word. Just not as often.

No...just because a player has a particular skill doesnt mean he must change his position. Thats like saying, Lampard scores more goals than most strikers because of his supreme finishing ability, lets convert him to striker.

No...just because a player has a particular skill doesnt mean he must change his position. Thats like saying, Lampard scores more goals than most strikers because of his supreme finishing ability, lets convert him to striker.

That's fair enough. But Luiz seems too rash for CB. Or do you not think so?

The roles of a DM and a cover defender are similar (they both sweep), and both Romeu and Luiz are defensively and physically capable so they should be able to swap positions and play decently. It's a good option to have in case of emergency, but I don't think there is any point in training Luiz to be a DM and Romeu to be a CB. I'd say that it would be much more efficient to teach Luiz discipline to turn him into a proper CB and keep Romeu in his position as well.

I can fully understand and appreciate both sides of the argument.

David Luiz is technically a superb football player and has huge amounts of potential in his natural CB position. At this moment in time there are weaknesses to his game, such as positioning and rashness in the tackle, which will mature over time. However he can only mature and get better playing at CB and learning the trade and developing his game.

I think with how quickly he endeared himself to Chelsea fans, people forget he has been with us for less than a year and is still adjusting to a new league and football culture.

However on the flipside of things, Chelsea are a club challenging for trophies and consistently playing at the highest pressures. One or two mistakes through the season could have a far bigger impact on our season then perhaps, a Sunderland. Therefore the temptation to utilise his strengths, but hide his weaknesses is an apparent one.

I personally also think he would make a very good holding midfielder, but he needs to learn and AVB must persevere with him at CB.

Your idea would be a big fail, for two reasons :

- If Luiz can make those great runs forward, it is because he is playing in the defense. Thus, he has a lot of space to start to run, and has time before someone comes to close him down. If he was played a bit futher high on the pitch, he wouldn't be able to make these runs, because he wouldn't have the space he is granted while playing at CB, and he would have someone closing him down permanently.

- If he plays as a defensive midfielder and keeps doing those runs, it would be catastrophic for the team. Because he would give to much space and freedom to the opponents, and would leave our two CBs alone. And, an defensive midfielder isn't supposed to make runs forward.

I think we forget Luiz is still young and inexperienced. He is a good CB and is still learning, his mistakes will eventually be learnt from and within 3 years, he will probably be one of the best CB's around. I also love his runs, it works great because if he does our CDM (Essien/Mikel/Romeu) will drop back into cover.