Raul Meireles

chrismada9

Keeping Meireles on and bringing Mata off yesterday was just another diabolical decision by AVB. Granted that Mata was not having the best of games but he's arguably our only creative player in the entire squad and someone capable of producing a moment of real quality but yet AVB sticks with Meireles who have given away possession cheaply countless of times yesterday! I really can't understand why AVB plays him so much!! Are they having some sort of secret affair off the pitch or something?!

I hope he did that only because he wanted to keep Mata fresh for the CL game...in that sense it was a good move.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I hope he did that only because he wanted to keep Mata fresh for the CL game...in that sense it was a good move.

Yeah, with only like less than 8 minutes to go. What's the point? If AVB's gonna bring Lampard on, at least bring him on like there's still 15-20 minutes to go where there's enough time to make an impact!

Yeah, with only like less than 8 minutes to go. What's the point? If AVB's gonna bring Lampard on, at least bring him on like there's still 15-20 minutes to go where there's enough time to make an impact!

Forgot about that...and yes, in that sense it was an odd move..but then again Mata looked pretty bad in the 2nd half..that penalty miss rattled some of his nerves I think, and if Mata can't attack, well...he certainly can't help defend so...

Reasons we got Meireles

* He's Portuguese

* He used to play for Porto and AVB knows him

* He was on the market for cheap

* We failed with Modric

* He scored against us for liverscum

Pretty much the same reasons why Bosingwa is still here and playing quite regularly (except for the liverpool and modric thing). National bias is quite clear to see when we have Portuguese managers.

Reasons we got Meireles

* He's Portuguese

* We failed with Modric

Pretty much the same reasons why Bosingwa is still here and playing quite regularly (except for the liverpool and modric thing). National bias is quite clear to see when we have Portuguese managers.

Didn't he leave porto before Andre joined them?

Reasons we got Meireles

* He's Portuguese

* We failed with Modric

You're assuming a lot there.

the liverpool thing was a joke, but I think the rest is true. Hopefully next season will be better for him provided we make changes for the positive, and he is reduced to a sub player.

I don't think nationality comes into it, Meireles could be playing more because he offers a bit of both - attacking and defending (in theory he does, anyway). Ramires is a shoe-in for the energy he provides, a DM is our favourite position here at Chelsea and we had a choice there between Romeu or Meireles with Mikel and Essien injured till recently.

Forgot about that...and yes, in that sense it was an odd move..but then again Mata looked pretty bad in the 2nd half..that penalty miss rattled some of his nerves I think, and if Mata can't attack, well...he certainly can't help defend so...

Granted that Mata did not have the best of games but he is arguably our only creative player in the entire team and one who is capable of producing moment of quality in the final third. Why take him off and leave Meireles on the field when goodness know how many passes he misplaced yesterday and chickens out when it comes to tackling?!

And he was 5th choice in a very shit Liverpool midfield. Says a lot. I like him as footballer but he's simply a squad player and shouldn't be starting more than 50% of matches.

Actually he was easily Liverpool's best midfield player last season, ask any Scouser. Gerrard was barely missed.

This is a classic case of us ''getting what we paid for'' ! He's not good at anything he's just average, he's about Aston Villa level. Ramires has basically carried the midfield since the season started, that's why we haven't won a game that Ramires has not participated in. I would keep him for next season though if he accepts a bench role, people sometimes forget that we need a bench too !