Our Main Problems

In our last 3 games, we've earned 7 points from 9. If you say this to someone, he'll say, what a great start to a season. But all of you, who watched these games see, that something isn't going right. Untill we're winning it's okay, but when we will start to drop points, it'll be too late. Here I want to put in prominence our main problems.

1. Bad communication between keeper and defence. In our last game you can see it clearly, but I think this problem will be solved, when Čech is back... Don't understand me wrong Hilario is doing a great job in term of replacing a Čech, but he doesn't have that talent, how to put players at corners, at free kicks.

2. Duo in central defence. Our wing backs are great, Ashley is the best LB in the world, and under AVB Bosingwa is returning into his old form, they're both running, crossing and returning to our half. But I really can't see what is the main problem in our sloppy defending, I think that we can't find right duo in our central defence, maybe I'm not right, but that's my opinion. Terry is our captain, leader and one of the best CB's in the world, so he has guaranteed place in starting eleven. But who can be his partner? Ivanović is almost a real RB, he doesn't look good in CB. Alex is with his minds at Juventus, I think he's our second best defender, but with this approach, he can't be in first eleven. David Luiz is injured. He's great defender, with lot of potential, but he must start to learn that football isn't rugby, when he learns that he'll one of the greatest. At the moment, I would chose Terry and Ivanović as our two CB's.

3. Completely un-creative midfield. I don't see any sense in putting Mikel, Ramires and Lampard in these 3 midfielder slots. Mikel is a typical CDM, I would accept his place in our squad, if he had any sense in terms of tackling and passing. Ramires is great box to box midfielder and is great replacement for Essien. Lampard is completely out of his form, his every 2nd pass is miss-placed, he should be the man, who has a imagination, like Xavi or Iniesta in Barcelona, but at the momment he hasn't this quality at all. Yossi Benayoun is our only creative player and I was really dissapointed, when I saw he isn't even on the bench. Josh can also take this role. So, I would make a midfielder with three players, one would be a defensive midfielder, who would always start an attack, second would be a box to box midfielder, and third creative midfielder, who would give usefull pases to our forwards. My choice at this moment would be: Ramires as CDM, because of his good tackling, his stamina and passing ability. Josh or Frank as a box to box midfielder, Frank, because of his form and fact that he can't sprint as a young boy in CAM position and Josh, because of his pure talent and I'm sure he would handle this job. As a CAM, I would chose Yossi, because he is the only creative guy in our squad, if Modrić comes, he can replace him.

4. Unconsistancy of Torres. One game he plays great, second, like he isn't on field. I'm not blaming him, maybe it's because of un-creative midfield and bad passing from our wingers, but he should really think about himself. Our Wingers. I really don't see, why is AVB putting Anelkalouda or Drogba on the wings?! Mata showed more in half of hour than anyone else of mentioned in 2nd half of last season. With his passing is perfect, his pace, acceleration, ball control and technique, he should be the first player AVB will put in starting eleven, even in front of Čech. ;) I won't say too much, because it was the first week, when Mata arrived, but I will write more if AVB doesn't put him in the first eleven next week. Another winger, that should be Sturridge, great technique, dribbling ability, speed and finishing, that's why that lad has to be in starting eleven. Mata + Sturridge = Scoring machine a.k.a Torres.

5. Our set pieces. Do you already know, what will be a result, if Lampard (and now even Drogba) steps up to take a free kick or corner? Yes, you've guessed, FAIL. I really don't see a solving of this problem. Who can take corners? Mata? OK, but, if we will count only on this great player, what will be if he'll be injured? Shit. AVB should give our players a set-piece training.

That's the main problems I see in our game and if we solve all of them we will destroy everyone on our way. Share your opinions and thoughts in comments below. :cfc:

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i think you have it totally right with the midfield. We lack something! - torres is not scoring because we dont play like liverpool we dont feed the ball down the middle or move the ball around in the 3rd half the pitch which suits him. Torres will never play well for chelsea if we play the drogba game with him.

i beleave if we start playing mata and torres and D.S i think we could do really well with torres! if D.S starts to pass more. he takes the ball on far to much but hey i think he can do alot with the ball alot of the time.

I think the players just need time to get used to each other. We've got some new faces in and a new philosophy of off-the-ball play. Things will start to click soon and we'll see some good, positive, attacking football soon enough.

I think the problem we have now with defense has to do with AVB's high defense line than anything. Our defenders are generally slow, and Mikel, who's supposed to aid the centre-halfs, is one of the slowest players we have. And with Hilario, who isn't as good at rushing out of the box as Cech, the opposition can exploit the huge gap behind our defenders by using counterattack. There is absolutely no way our high line will work with Terry, Hilario, and Mikel guarding our goal, and AVB should know that.

What I'm really concerned about is that the whole team looks disjointed. In Carlo's first season, we played some great football, our players looked like cogs in a machine, and it was as if everyone knew where his teammates were. We don't have that anymore. It disappeared last season, and when that disappears the team plays shit. I hope we'll get that back soon.

There is main problems in the team, and i've stated earlier today that we havent had a big result since 'the bad november' last season, ever since then we've never looked like a team which is champion material, we struggle in every match, even against newly promoted teams... even if it's at home. We are a very weak team with a big reputation... the midfield is the problem mainly, Lampard offers the least, if we get a creative playmaker, someone who can work magic, then he has to play in Lampards position, but to be honest McEachran can do that... but we all know here, he wont get his game. Ramires has a gift with his pace, and he needs to move forward a lot more in my opinion, everytime he goes in something happens, he's a sepcial player and we need to use him a lot more, especially at the age he is right now, but he in my opinion is our alternate midfielder, we shouldn't look at him for creativity. Mikel, i like him, he can be a bit hot or cold sometimes but he will eventually get hot, i know he will, once he starts getting with the team, a lot of DM's have this problem, Lucas for Liverpool had this problem but now he's adapted into the squad.

But Lampard is the problem mainly, we need someone who can do something in his position, Yossi could do much better than Lampard there and we all know that, but we can do better than them both and that's why we need to buy one more player before the transfer window closes. I think the wingers is fine at the moment from what i've seen of Mata, we can only hope Mata keeps playing well, but he can be dropped in midfield too, his passing is very good, especially that pass to Lukaku he made. Right wing, i hope Sturridge does well there, that's all... but this should be open to Anelka and Sturridge, and Drogba now and again.

Defence, last season our defence was class, it's a shame we didn't have a good midfield who could keep possession otherwise we would of conceded very little goals, but because AVB plays a different defensive chemistry, which is a lot worse, we have this problem. On match of the day if any of you people saw it, Alan Shearer showed you lots of videos of long balls getting over our defence and there was a bout 6-7 one on ones in the past 3 matches... now that's very worrying considering we've played Norwich, West Brom and Stoke. But Stoke wasn't a bad match tbf, David Luiz wud be perfect for the formation but Terry is way to slow, United will take advantage of this defence line if we don't sort it out immediately. No new players are needed here, just needs sorting out.

Set pieces, i don't think there's any complaints, Drogba and Alex (When in his position) should be the ones to take shots, Lampard for crossing them in, cause i think he's rather good at it, but not shooting, when Lampard shoots its just a waste of a free kick.

And as for Striker force, Torres will get those goals trust me, this time it really does take just one, because then his movement will be much better, but it's only if our midfield is good, if he can score a goal from a good cross or a good ball, then Torres will be back, i 100 percent garauntee you he will score much more goals, because he is a goal machine, and he can score them. Last season he scored a goal but it couldn't do him any good because he wasn't the problem in the first place, that's what people need to realise, it was the midfield, so he wouldn't get anymore chances. Trust me on this, i'm a very negative person but i know if our team does blend and we do get a creative midfielder and we are set, so will Torres, because he would have to be totally finished, and he isn't, he can score goals, he has proved it, but our team hasn't proved we can give him the ball.

Well that's my whole opinion of the matter, good discussion and thread by the way, but i think we only need one player. That's a creative midfielder such as Modric and Moutinho, and we desperately need one of them before the window shuts, besides that i think we can have a great season still if we just manage to sort the team out, so we should keep the faith and try to enjoy the season as much as we can.

Guest justin_3d

The defense conundrum as cover right here will be the second problem to fix after we fix the creative mid if we get Modric.

Your best point is about set-pieces. I remember under Mourinho we were so threatening whenever we had a corner or a free-kick, because we had Duff, Robben, Tiago and Lampard who could put such an incredible variety of deliveries into the box. Now we simply surrender possession.

Your best point is about set-pieces. I remember under Mourinho we were so threatening whenever we had a corner or a free-kick, because we had Duff, Robben, Tiago and Lampard who could put such an incredible variety of deliveries into the box. Now we simply surrender possession.

You never feek like theres a chance from a set piece really like before it was kinda ooo here we go..these days kinda bleh its gana into the wall/over the goal/anywhere other then you want it to go

In our last 3 games, we've earned 7 points from 9. If you say this to someone, he'll say, what a great start to a season. But all of you, who watched these games see, that something isn't going right. Untill we're winning it's okay, but when we will start to drop points, it'll be too late. Here I want to put in prominence our main problems.

1. Bad communication between keeper and defence. In our last game you can see it clearly, but I think this problem will be solved, when Čech is back... Don't understand me wrong Hilario is doing a great job in term of replacing a Čech, but he doesn't have that talent, how to put players at corners, at free kicks.

2. Duo in central defence. Our wing backs are great, Ashley is the best LB in the world, and under AVB Bosingwa is returning into his old form, they're both running, crossing and returning to our half. But I really can't see what is the main problem in our sloppy defending, I think that we can't find right duo in our central defence, maybe I'm not right, but that's my opinion. Terry is our captain, leader and one of the best CB's in the world, so he has guaranteed place in starting eleven. But who can be his partner? Ivanović is almost a real RB, he doesn't look good in CB. Alex is with his minds at Juventus, I think he's our second best defender, but with this approach, he can't be in first eleven. David Luiz is injured. He's great defender, with lot of potential, but he must start to learn that football isn't rugby, when he learns that he'll one of the greatest. At the moment, I would chose Terry and Ivanović as our two CB's.

3. Completely un-creative midfield. I don't see any sense in putting Mikel, Ramires and Lampard in these 3 midfielder slots. Mikel is a typical CDM, I would accept his place in our squad, if he had any sense in terms of tackling and passing. Ramires is great box to box midfielder and is great replacement for Essien. Lampard is completely out of his form, his every 2nd pass is miss-placed, he should be the man, who has a imagination, like Xavi or Iniesta in Barcelona, but at the momment he hasn't this quality at all. Yossi Benayoun is our only creative player and I was really dissapointed, when I saw he isn't even on the bench. Josh can also take this role. So, I would make a midfielder with three players, one would be a defensive midfielder, who would always start an attack, second would be a box to box midfielder, and third creative midfielder, who would give usefull pases to our forwards. My choice at this moment would be: Ramires as CDM, because of his good tackling, his stamina and passing ability. Josh or Frank as a box to box midfielder, Frank, because of his form and fact that he can't sprint as a young boy in CAM position and Josh, because of his pure talent and I'm sure he would handle this job. As a CAM, I would chose Yossi, because he is the only creative guy in our squad, if Modrić comes, he can replace him.

4. Unconsistancy of Torres. One game he plays great, second, like he isn't on field. I'm not blaming him, maybe it's because of un-creative midfield and bad passing from our wingers, but he should really think about himself. Our Wingers. I really don't see, why is AVB putting Anelkalouda or Drogba on the wings?! Mata showed more in half of hour than anyone else of mentioned in 2nd half of last season. With his passing is perfect, his pace, acceleration, ball control and technique, he should be the first player AVB will put in starting eleven, even in front of Čech. ;) I won't say too much, because it was the first week, when Mata arrived, but I will write more if AVB doesn't put him in the first eleven next week. Another winger, that should be Sturridge, great technique, dribbling ability, speed and finishing, that's why that lad has to be in starting eleven. Mata + Sturridge = Scoring machine a.k.a Torres.

5. Our set pieces. Do you already know, what will be a result, if Lampard (and now even Drogba) steps up to take a free kick or corner? Yes, you've guessed, FAIL. I really don't see a solving of this problem. Who can take corners? Mata? OK, but, if we will count only on this great player, what will be if he'll be injured? Shit. AVB should give our players a set-piece training.

That's the main problems I see in our game and if we solve all of them we will destroy everyone on our way. Share your opinions and thoughts in comments below. :cfc:

100% Right!!!!! :goodpost:

You never feek like theres a chance from a set piece really like before it was kinda ooo here we go..these days kinda bleh its gana into the wall/over the goal/anywhere other then you want it to go

Even Drogba seems to have lost his consistency with free-kicks. Is Mata any good with direct freekicks on goal? If so, get him on them!

:goodpost: whilst frank can be fantastic Alex is our most consistent free kick taker and our corners are often shocking .

True, but Mata will hopefully improve that.

Finally, Mata will provide another option for Chelsea in set-pieces. He is very reliable on corners and free-kicks. He can also take a penalty which will be key when it comes to the Champions League knock out stages

:goodpost: whilst frank can be fantastic Alex is our most consistent free kick taker and our corners are often shocking .

And we always seem to put people like Drogba taking the corner when he should be in the box as he is capeable of scoring from them but shit at taking them

We need Rory Delaps arms/throwing strenth on one of our players!

i totally agree that our wing backs have been great, our central duo slow and our midfiled uncreative.

Food for thought : how exactly do you expect bosi or cole to play attackingly against manu when all of their attacks are through the wings(they will be having their hands full while defending off young and nani).This will cut of our width and with the performances that our midfield has given in the last 3 matches i dont see us winning it against manu if we dont change our current tactics.

i totally agree that our wing backs have been great, our central duo slow and our midfiled uncreative.

Food for thought : how exactly do you expect bosi or cole to play attackingly against manu when all of their attacks are through the wings(they will be having their hands full while defending off young and nani).This will cut of our width and with the performances that our midfield has given in the last 3 matches i dont see us winning it against manu if we dont change our current tactics.

Against Man Utd, we should keep our wing backs at our own half, and use them only at counter attacks. We should create chances through midfield and than pass ball to wingers...

Against Man Utd, we should keep our wing backs at our own half, and use them only at counter attacks. We should create chances through midfield and than pass ball to wingers...

But that is where the problem lies. Firstly our midfiled creates nothing, and what they do create and pass to our "wingers" (i think we use this word very loosely), the wingers screw it up(for eg "KALOUDA" just giving away the ball some infinite number of times). I really hope that AVB gives sturridge a start (as drogba is injured) and does not fall back to anelka and KALOUDA. Plus atleast against sunderland we should play Josh. if not against sunderland then maybe in ucl but please dont tell me that a 33 year old lampard (with all due respect) is supposed to start and play 90 minutes on the 10th,13th and then 18th too.

And we always seem to put people like Drogba taking the corner when he should be in the box as he is capeable of scoring from them but shit at taking them

We need Rory Delaps arms/throwing strenth on one of our players!

He's not exactly bad at taking corners (he gets assists from time to time) but I agree he should be in the box more often...

About the long throw, Carlo tried training Ivanovic in that aspect..not sure if AVB'll use it though...

Whilst our free kicks aimed at goal seem to have lost their threat, our other set-plays don't seem that bad. Terry/Ivanovic always seem to get their head on one of the balls swung into the area.