Join Talk Chelsea and join in with the discussions! Click Here

Sunderland 1-2 Chelsea

BlueLion.
Followers 0

Last season's 4-2 here was one of the most entertaining games I've seen for a long time. Added in with the hysteria of signing Torres and Luiz, it was a wonderful February evening for us, especially after getting revenge for that-game-that-shall-not-be-mentioned.

By the way, Torres has a good record against Sunderland, so if he is going to break his duck, this will be a good chance.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope AVB will shed his conservative (so far) starting line-up selection and go with Meireles, Mata and Sturridge. It can't be any worst than what we've seen in the first 3 games. He can talk about up tempo all he wants, but he can back it up with putting in the players who can play that way.

---------Torres--------

Mata---Meireles--Sturridge

-----Lampard-Ramires-----

Cole-Terry-Ivanovic-Bosingwa

-------------Cech--------------

Thats my 11 for the game :blue scalf:

i would swap mereiles with lampard

I think both can play in both Positions and Lampard has not been to his best form so thats why i think Meireles should play the attacking Midfielder :)

why do I have a feeling that Kalouda will be starting this match? :thinking:

i can't count out that possibility, i think AVB will use danny as a sub instead of X11 spot.

Sunderland certainly miss Welbeck and Bent this season, they don't really have a genuine goalscorer. Gyan is a good player but he is more of an attacking fulcrum than an out-and-out striker.

True, and they don't have Henderson anymore either, but I watched Sunderland against Liverpool at Anfield on the opening day and they showed that they partially don't need them to put in a good performance. Larsson scored an excellent goal against them, and they defended really well after they had let in Suarez's goal. They may not have Welbeck and bent, but they have two former Man United defenders, 2 pacy wingers in Larsson and Sessegnon, and a top quality manager who knows exactly what to do with them.

Steve Bruce is no mug, he is an excellent manager.

I predict a nervous 1-0 win...

Gyan is injured apparently.

why do I have a feeling that Kalouda will be starting this match? :thinking:

That simply won't happen. He didn't even make the bench in the last game and that was with Sturridge still suspended. His days are numbered.

Maybe AVB will surprise us...

Cech/Hilario

Bosingwa - Luiz - Terry - Cole

Meireles

Ramires - Lampard

Mata

Sturridge - Torres

Alternatively Sturridge - Torres - Mata in a front three, in a switch from 4-1-2-1-2 to 4-3-2-1/4-3-3

Maybe he will surprise us but I think he will stick with the usual for now. We'll start to see changes when the games come thick and fast every 3 days.

What will be interesting to see is the subs bench. Will guys like Oriol, Lukaku and McEachran all be on there?

Maybe AVB will surprise us...

Cech/Hilario

Bosingwa - Luiz - Terry - Cole

Meireles

Ramires - Lampard

Mata

Sturridge - Torres

Alternatively Sturridge - Torres - Mata in a front three, in a switch from 4-1-2-1-2 to 4-3-2-1/4-3-3

I'd love to say that I do like that lineup, but it doesn't matter what players we have, the diamond NEVER works for us

I'd love to say that I do like that lineup, but it doesn't matter what players we have, the diamond NEVER works for us

One of the main reasons the diamond never worked for us was because we didn't have the guy behind the strikers. Joe Cole was rubbish, Lampard didn't fit the position and Yossi was always injured. Anelka did OK sometimes. Mata can do that role very well.

One of the main reasons the diamond never worked for us was because we didn't have the guy behind the strikers. Joe Cole was rubbish, Lampard didn't fit the position and Yossi was always injured. Anelka did OK sometimes. Mata can do that role very well.

I guess you could say it was a good thing that we didn't waste £45m on Modric then...

I guess you could say it was a good thing that we didn't waste £45m on Modric then...

Perhaps, but only because he was overpirced. Besides Modric isn't a behind the strikers type of player, he's a deep-lying playmaker and he and a Mata can coexist in the same side.