Álvaro Morata

Captain Ahmed

On 20/07/2017 at 4:48 AM, Barbara said:

Ofc she was, what else could it be? It's appalling people think commentators are there to comment how smart as a person a player is. Don't how how people interpreted it any other way.

Hello Barbera,

As you perhaps know, I almost always agree with your point of view but I do have a slight difference with you here. I said in my response that I felt I understood what she meant, but that she had expressed the point carelessly, and I stand by that.

Yes, I understood the commentary to be about football intelligence but the journalist talked about learning ability which is a reference to general intelligence. I take "football intelligence" to be about a feel for the game, an inate understanding about what is effective and in what situations. I do not take it to be about the ability to absorb technical and tactical messages. It is in that sense that I feel the idea could have been communicated better.

Lads, lets stop with this number 9 nonsense, i mean, look at the names that wore it, a past his prime Torres, Franco Di Santo, Sidwell.... you can put any number on them and they would still suck lol.

Morata will do that number justice, just watch

27 minutes ago, lucashm said:

Lads, lets stop with this number 9 nonsense, i mean, look at the names that wore it, a past his prime Torres, Franco Di Santo, Sidwell.... you can put any number on them and they would still suck lol.

Morata will do that number justice, just watch

Don't forget good old Boulahrouz who wore that number and was a bloody CB :lol:

3 hours ago, the wes said:

Ill be praying 🙏 that morata doesn't get the number 9 shirt we seen Franco Di Santo, Fernando Torres and Radamel Falcao Chris Sutton not do so well in that number 9 shirt 

That's our fault for giving such a great number to the likes of Franco fucking Di Santo :D

4 hours ago, the wes said:

Ill be praying 🙏 that morata doesn't get the number 9 shirt we seen Franco Di Santo, Fernando Torres and Radamel Falcao Chris Sutton not do so well in that number 9 shirt 

Osgood, Hughes, Vialli, JFH say otherwise. 

I wanted him here I'm sure he will come good for us. but I hope fellow chelsea fans don't expect him to start the season the same way Diego had during his first season. He was very expensive but that's only because the market is ridiculously inflated. We are paying for a player with great potential not the finished product. He left Madrid to play regularly and improve. He hardly had the chance to play regularly for a team at top level. Probably the only time was his first season at Juve. I think his lack of playing time has considerably slowed his progression. Which is why you're gonna have to be patient with him if you don't want to be disapointed. He will need time to adapt to the country, to his teammates, to our philosophy and to the league. and then only he can focus on how to develop as a player. He could prove me wrong and score a double or a hat-trick on his debut but he could also fail to score a single goal for the first two months or so. The odds are the same.

That said, I think he has all the tools to make it here or anywhere else. As long as he works hard, the sky's the limit.

I like this -

He is quick. Marca took official league data last April to give a ranking of Real Madrid's fastest players according to top speed reached during games and Morata came in third behind defender Nacho Fernandez and midfielder Mateo Kovacic. He was ahead of fourth-placed Gareth Bale. 

The measures used gave an indication of explosive speed more than pace but he should be able to offer that same ability to pull away into space that Costa gave.

He's better than Costa in the air. Fellow Real Madrid youth team graduate Lucas Vazquez tells the story of being Real Madrid's youth team centre-forward until Morata joined the club when he was immediately told to get out on the wing and put the crosses in for a player whose superb heading technique would see him likened to Fernando Morientes at Madrid.

15 hours ago, The Skipper said:

I think Lukaku is in between (using your theory) like Costa as well personally. If you get Romelu into the box for example - he's an absolute killer and will finish off chances. His "IQ" in the box is one of the reasons why he scores a lot. You could say that Romelu is more intelligent in the box than Morata, whereas it's the other way for Alvaro for example. Would that be a false statement? The term is too broad imo. There are areas on the pitch Romelu is smarter in than Morata too. 

Yeah, I think that is fair. I guess my problem with Lukaku, and why I was lukewarm towards him, is that I feel his strengths (and I do agree that he is strong in the box) demand some pre-requisites that I feel are harder to come by for a top team, making him more inconsistent.I like Morata because I feel that he is more likely to exchange passes with Hazard/Willian/Pedro/Fabregas to set up a goal and  dribble himself into a shooting position against tight defenses. I do not mean by this that Lukaku is unable to do so, just that Morata on average will manage it more often. On the other hand, I think Lukaku will offer more in the box than Morata. Between those two examples, I think we will find more use out of Morata's skills. 
For the record, I have always been convinced that Lukaku would have scored a lot of goals for us, and that he will do so for United. 

However, my perhaps strongest reason to prefer Morata is because while he is very good technically, he also possesses more physical attributes such as being somewhat strong, good in the air and very fast. He is great or above average in most categories, rather than really good in a few. I also feel like he is the one that still has more room for development, as he has been under-utilized during his career. 

We will get the whole Lukaku v Morata thing from the first point a ball is kicked. Lukaku is already the media darling because he has joined the media darling in Man United. SKY are already wanking themselves daft over Lukaku as they always do over everything United related.

Really looking forward to seeing Morata do his stuff.....Up the Chels.