Which Players Do You Regret Chelsea Selling?

the wes

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am gobsmacked that some posters left out Robben and Sturridge. I can't even take anyone that doesn't include those 2 seriously unless their reason is personal rather than football related.

Although I'd dearly love to have Robben playing on the right of our current team, I won't be a hypocrite and pretend that I regretted his sale at the time. Between injuries and form Robbie hadn't really been contributing consistently for a while. By the time he left he was glad to go, Jose seemed happy to take the money and I wasn't too unhappy about it either.

Studge was a different matter. Although I'd like to think that I recognised his weaknesses as clearly as anyone else did, I always felt he was our best striker and that he should be starting at centre forward. I remember thinking one day, as he tracked back to the corner flag just below where I sit, what a terrible waste it was playing him wide and forcing him to do this. That said I'm over it now, just as I'm over Mata's departure. It's done and they've gone.

David Luiz as a defensive midfielder. He was a monster, especially next to Matic. Both of them can attack and defend. ManCity away (0-1), Arsenal at home (6-0). It's a shame we can't see the trio of : cesc-matic-luiz in big games, we'd boss every midfield.

His character and spirit in big games is also a thing what I miss about him, plus his penalties in shoot outs. He would have been one of the next captains (playing in midfield).

But the price was too good to reject (£40-£50m). Hope we can find another player like him, for now I'm happy with Ramires with Mikel as a back up.

Robben, Ballack and Mata.

Not giving Ballack a contract renewal was the start of our problems in midfield in my eyes, the guy had everything; power, positional sense, he was a leader, great in the air, good passer, scored goals, could tackle and most of all he didn't mind sacrificing his own game so we could get the best out of other players who played higher up where he would have prefered too at times (mainly Lamps), a real team player.

Robben could have been one of the best players in modern Chelsea history if he had stayed but you only get one chance to go to Real Madrid and the grass wasn't greener in all truth for him.

Mata could have also been one of our best players of modern times if he had stayed but he went so I can't say much else.

David Luiz as a defensive midfielder. He was a monster, especially next to Matic. Both of them can attack and defend. ManCity away (0-1), Arsenal at home (6-0). It's a shame we can't see the trio of : cesc-matic-luiz in big games, we'd boss every midfield.

His character and spirit in big games is also a thing what I miss about him, plus his penalties in shoot outs. He would have been one of the next captains (playing in midfield).

But the price was too good to reject (£40-£50m). Hope we can find another player like him, for now I'm happy with Ramires with Mikel as a back up.

Luiz wasn't a monster in that position, the only reason he played there was because in big games we needed more energy in the middle rather than quality which lamps or oscar would offer. He can be great against a big team, but in any other match he would of been way too unpredicatable and not disciplined enough to play that role. I'm sad he left though, could of been world class really if we had him with a better partner suited to him than JT, but you can't turn down 50m.

Put a fit and firing Robben on our RW and we would be unstoppable. Hazard and Robben terrorizing the flanks would put the fear of God in any defence. Nobody would relish the sight of them running at their defenses. However, I don't think he would be as good as he is now if he didn't move clubs. Don't get me wrong he was already good, but he seems to be aging backwards. Wouldn't be surprised if he suddenly had a head full of hair again.

I feel bad for Sturridge and Bertrand because I don't think they were given a fair crack here. I think it all worked out for for the better in these positions though with Costa and Luis.

Ballack was definitely moved too early and we really missed him. Could have used him for another year.

We may regret KDB in time. I think he had good technical skills but lacked desire and fight in his game.

It's easy to say Robben and Sturridge now in hindsight.

Robben when fit was unplayable, certainly in his first season, but by the third season he had become more inconsistent, more injury prone and less effective. It's largely forgotten that he didn't set Real Madrid alight and his best years have only been in the last 3-4 seasons. I agree it would be phenomenal to have him now but I also agree with selling him at the time we did.

For me the biggest regret has to be Gallas. The 2006/07 season we lost the league simply due to the number of injuries we sustained to our defence (not to mention Cech). Some people may also forget how poor Ashley Cole was in his first season too. Gallas' versatility that season, particularly at centre back, could very well have been the difference in us winning the league that year. It would have been three on the spin and the subsequent seasons after that could have been very different.

Has to be Daniel Sturridge. Was a favourite of mine at the club whilst he was here. Was rarely played in his favoured position but he still scored goals for us and is one of the best English talents about. Then when we sold him it just brought on so many striker issues. The main one being Torres. You just have to wonder what if... think he would have been a big success here. Happy we have Diego Costa but it is never pleasing to see big English talents like Sturridge leave the club, especially considering who kept him out of the team.