Which Players Do You Regret Chelsea Selling?

the wes

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As to those that are sore about the selling of Mata, you must appreciate the fact of Mata being a forward, not a midfielder. He essentially played as a second-striker as the great Italians: Baggio, Del Piero, Totti have played in the past. To include Mata in the team to his fullest potential requires a completely different style and approach to football than what Jose Mourinho offers. Sure he could have built a system around Mata but I don't think that is Jose's style as a manager. Mata was awkward for Spain's Tiki-Taka style and out of water in LVG's 3-4-3 and 4-3-3 systems.

Personally I think Mata could (read: could) do well in Simeone's system if he were given a 'free-role'. If Mata was absolved of his defending duties, I believe he would be amazing in Cholo's 4-4-2, partnering Mandzukic. But I don't think that is Cholo's way.

Pre Abramovich: Osgood, Hudson, Weller, Zola, Dixon,

Technically, Zola was not let go pre-Abramovic because Roman had already taken over when his contract was not renewed.

In fact, a couple of years ago, Le Saux said in an interview that both him and Gianfraco were promised new contracts by the club if the team made it to the CL but Roman's arrival is what changed those plans.

Kalou - For my own personal pleasure though. The ridiculous amount of stick he received and how he was blamed for every poor result was hilarious

Eidur is probably the only player who's departure really hurt. Should've stayed for a further 3, 4 years..

Sturridge's treatment was shameful, indirectly because of Torres.

Lampard should have retired here.

Technically, Zola was not let go pre-Abramovic because Roman had already taken over when his contract was not renewed.

In fact, a couple of years ago, Le Saux said in an interview that both him and Gianfraco were promised new contracts by the club if the team made it to the CL but Roman's arrival is what changed those plans.

Zola had decided to go before Abramovich arrived, family, napoli, cosa nostra etc and no amount of pleading and contract negotiating would change his mind.

Big regret he was sold though ...

In Robben's case, there was little we could do about it. So that was alright.

But I regret we sold Sturridge because in the following season, he turns out to be one of best strikers in the division and we had the worst one on Torres.

Emotionally, it was hard to see Zola, Ballack, Maka, Essien, Mata, Ashley and Lamps leave.

sturridge and Lukaku. The way they were treated was not entirely retracable but we don't know what was behind the scenes. Obviously we could have used 2 homegrown strikers.

Lampard, Deco and Ballack were released a year too early IMO.

Robben could have been what he has been for FCB, if he had provided the medical support he got at BAyern.

Robben. Became a chelsea fan in 2006 because of Robben, Cole, Duff.

Rumors were popping up that Robben was gonna be sold. Then Jose came out saying he's happy especially after just getting married blah blah. Next day he's off to Real. What added to the frustration was that Malouda was not good in his first year.