Hotseat 2: Madmax

Spike

Our second hotseat will be our friend @Madmax, aka Jaimin to the older users. Ask questions starting.....now!

But first remember some basic rules:

• Don't harass other members with inappropriate questions.
  • Don't insult or troll members.
  • Don't expect your question to be answered, it is up to the member to answer it or not. If they feel uncomfortable answering it they have the right to not answer it.
  • Be sensible and respect other users.
  • Have fun!

There are already quite a few people on the list for next hotseats but don't be afraid to nominate yourself!

Previous Hotseat Link:

No.1: Henrique

Edited by Spike Spiegel

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

- Do you play football?

- What is your favourite hobby?

- Best type of food?

- What does Chelsea need to do in order to win the League next season?

- What do you study or work in?

- On the bed or on the couch?

Being a man of numbers I want to ask about your opinion of FFP.

Does it promote 'financial sustainability' in your eyes or are there simply too many loopholes for it to be hopeful of working?

- Do you play football?

- What is your favourite hobby?

- Best type of food?

- What does Chelsea need to do in order to win the League next season?

- What do you study or work in?

- On the bed or on the couch?

- Not anymore. I did in my school days.

- Not one in particular. I enjoy reading (mostly fiction), singing and cooking.

- Anything mom- made. In terms of eating out, Italian.

- Keep calm. Get the players the manager wants (hopefully a CM or two and a ST) and then trust him with them.

- I'm a Bachelor of Commerce. I currently work in a finance firm in addition to studying for Chartered Accountancy.

- On the dinner table ;)

My question:

I can never recollect the events in my dreams. Goldfish memory when it comes to them.

Does it promote 'financial sustainability' in your eyes or are there simply too many loopholes for it to be hopeful of working?

Interesting question, one that merits a detailed answer. I'll have one for you sometime tomorrow when I'm taking a long break (currently studying for upcoming exams).

How did that Osvaldo goal at the weekend feel? :Goober:

You can't be hurt by what you don't love. :cry:

how long have you been in mumbai?

do you see yourself somewhere else in the future, if so where?

I was born here. I don't know what'll happen in the future but at the moment, Mumbai is a ... decaying city. If you were to throw me out at this very instant, I'd probably head to Baroda (Vadodara). I've been there on several occasions in connection with my work and enjoyed the place every time. Quiet(ish), young, cultured, laidback.

I saw this documentary call blood brother in which an American goes to India and lives in a community that is for people that have aids.

I was kinda shock how certain people would treat those with aids in discontent.

Especially how they was marginalized from society.

Are you aware of such situations? If so what's your general attitude towards it?

And how much has the female equality change in your surroundings?

Right, found some time.

The stated objective of the regulations is re-balancing competition and enhancing long term financial stability. Their main vehicle to achieve these objectives is through the 'break-even requirement', which places limits on debt and restricts the influence private investors and patrons can have on the financial position of clubs.

IMO, the break-even requirement is not sufficient to restore the competitive balance. Success breeds success. Clubs already successful are at a huge competitive advantage when it comes to possibility of future success because they have benefited from investing in better playing and managerial staff and infrastructure brought about by their previous success - whether brought about organically (Man United) or fast-tracked by a wealthy benefactor (Chelsea). To avoid the unchallenged dominance of a few clubs, an additional redistribution of income is needed. Then a question arises how to redistribute this income - which is difficult in open ended competitive leagues (i.e those where there are no fixed, distinct boundaries that cannot be breached; thus those that employ a promotion/relegation system, those that do not restrict entry of clubs based on geography, etc ... thus basically every domestic European league).

I guess the outcome of what I'm saying is that to me the regulations will have the effect of maintaining the status quo - preventing another 'nouveau riche' scenario of Chelsea or Manchester City. It will become nigh on impossible for another 'have not' club to contest consistently for honours and even if some club manages to do so, they'll be an exception to the rule. I think the intentions are noble but in its present form they could end up having the opposite effect of that desired; indeed there is a possiblity of UEFA being sued for anti-competitive measures like restricting the free movement of capital and labour.

In terms of loopholes, UEFA are alive to some of the ones that can be exploited - and you'd think they'd keep updating their requirements as more and more such get arounds come to their notice - for example PSG and City got into trouble recently because UEFA had already anticipated clubs trying to get around the regulations by artificially inflating revenues through the use of related parties. It is true though that there is enough leeway (acceptable loss deviations, phased implementation) that most clubs will fall into compliance. You can't expect UEFA to be extremely stringent - these very clubs are what gets them their moolah.

Ultimately what will decide the success of the regulations is whether UEFA's bite matches their bark. I'm not entirely convinced.

Who are you rooting for in the WC?

Most underrated player in the World?

Are you in college? What's your major?

I've always had a soft spot for Germany. But this time I'm also looking forward to see how Belgium and Brazil get on. The beautiful thing about the World Cup for someone like me is that it allows me to be neutral and non-partisan; so I'm justing hoping for good, watchable football.

Most underrated player in the world? I don't know. But I always thought Park Ji Sung and Dirk Kuyt were better players than they were given credit for.

College major? Are those American terms? I'm unfamiliar with them. In India 'college' years last for 5-6 years after school (upto 10th grade). In college the 3 main streams available are commerce, science and arts. I pursued commerce and graduated with a 'Bachelor in Commerce' degree a few years back. I'm currently pursuing the professional qualification of Chartered Accountancy.

How did you get into football? with India being a cricket country, are you into cricket as well? if not, why?

Oh yes, I was fanatical about cricket. I come from a part of India where cricket is the alpha and omega of sports. Football is more popular in the eastern and north-eastern parts of the country and the coastal south western states of Goa and Kerala. For most of my childhood, just like every other 'regular' boy my age, all I wanted to do was play cricket with my mates once I got home from school. My football exposure in those times was limited to watching the World Cup every 4 years. I distinctly remember the 2002 edition, for example. Particularly one of the earlier games - Germany vs Saudi Arabia where they scored 8 and Klose did those backflip celebrations.

I got interested in club football - and this is slightly embarrassing to admit - through a video game called New Star Soccer 3. I chose a career at Chelsea in that game (blue is my favourite colour and I liked the name of the club :blush:) and started looking up the actual players. Frank Lampard caught my attention and I decided to follow England in the 2006 World Cup. The interest in football coincided with my decline in interest in cricket and for a couple of years I'd keep up with Chelsea's results without any deep emotional investment. I began to consider myself a fan after one of the games in the 07-08 season (vs Arsenal at home; Drogba came on as a substitute and scored 2, we won 2-1) when I realised that Chelsea's performances and results actually have an impact on my day.

I still follow cricket to this day but not with as much fervour as I used to. I love test cricket in particular. My username is the nickname of my favourite cricketer growing up - a Sri Lankan batsmen called Aravinda de Silva.

I saw this documentary call blood brother in which an American goes to India and lives in a community that is for people that have aids.

I was kinda shock how certain people would treat those with aids in discontent.

Especially how they was marginalized from society.

Are you aware of such situations? If so what's your general attitude towards it?

And how much has the female equality change in your surroundings?

You have to understand that generally, Indians (when I say that, I mean rural Indians - close to 70% of the population still lives in rural areas) are a deeply conservative people at heart. Their generational nurturing is steeped in traditions, thoughts, ideas and practices that go back thousands of years. This makes it difficult to accept and embrace change; it's a time consuming process. When you couple that mentality with the ignorance and insularity that results from a lack of education, these attitudes develop. I'm not excusing their behaviour, just trying to tell you why they may do what they do.

In terms of your question about discrimination against the HIV-inflicted, yes it's a reality. For reasons mentioned above and also for the reason that knowledge about public health issues, about sanitation, about modern medicine is minimal among a large section of the society. For example, some believe that homosexuality is a disease, that it's a result of increasing western influence and that it's disease that's been imported here from outside. Ignorance and the resulting prejudice, as you can see. My attitude is that discrimination of any kind is wrong.

About women - the situation is terrible and very disconcerting. The social structure here is patriarchal and the attitudes towards women's rights and their empowerment are backward and borne out of this social structure. Sexual frustration caused by deep-rooted conservatism is also a huge problem that's giving rise to more and more sexual crimes against women. Rape, female foeticide, infanticide, acid attacks, workplace harassment etc are common (if not rampant) - whether in the cities or in the villages. Put it this way - if I had daughters, I wouldn't want to raise them here.

I've always had a soft spot for Germany. But this time I'm also looking forward to see how Belgium and Brazil get on. The beautiful thing about the World Cup for someone like me is that it allows me to be neutral and non-partisan; so I'm justing hoping for good, watchable football.

Most underrated player in the world? I don't know. But I always thought Park Ji Sung and Dirk Kuyt were better players than they were given credit for.

College major? Are those American terms? I'm unfamiliar with them. In India 'college' years last for 5-6 years after school (upto 10th grade). In college the 3 main streams available are commerce, science and arts. I pursued commerce and graduated with a 'Bachelor in Commerce' degree a few years back. I'm currently pursuing the professional qualification of Chartered Accountancy.

Lol sorry, i forget sometimes that over here we do tbings differently than the rest of the world. Major, pretty much like your main focus in college. Like I'm majoring in English. You understood me though haha. That's interesting how.you guys do it though.

It seems like you're a big Carlo fan. Have you been following him at Madrid? Are you supporting them in the final because of him?

What's your age?

What do you work with (in case you do work)?

How have you become a Chelsea fan? Why Chelsea?

Who would you like to see next in the hotseat? What would you ask them?

If you were to move from India, where you'd like to live and why?

What's your opinion on the state of Indian football, the I-League in particular?

Why doesn't India even come close to competing at the international level? I cringe everytime the FIFA ranking comes out.

Why isn't there a single Indian player scouted to big European league inspite of having many soccer schools and academies run by rich European clubs like United, Chelsea and Liverpool? Also, do you believe in the theory that the clubs with soccer schools in India deliberately try to prevent the rise of Indian football?

Do you think Football will replace Cricket as the prime sport in India in, say, 10 years time? According to some articles, more kids play football than cricket in India these days.( not sure if true)

What do you think of the television coverage of European football in India?

Do you support a team in the IPL? If so, which one?

Favourite Chelsea player ever and currently?

Do you know much about Brandon Fernandes and could he be as good as everyone is saying? Heard some people saying he could be the best Indian footballer ever.