Hotseat 2: Madmax

Spike

How is football in India? Is it popular, do you have national league, good players, the indian football is even watchable?

How do you follow european football in India?

Ancelotti or Mourinho?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems like you're a big Carlo fan. Have you been following him at Madrid? Are you supporting them in the final because of him?

What's your age?

What do you work with (in case you do work)?

How have you become a Chelsea fan? Why Chelsea?

Who would you like to see next in the hotseat? What would you ask them?

If you were to move from India, where you'd like to live and why?

I like Carlo as a manager and as a man. He won me over with his personality - calm, dignified, committed and humorous. I haven't really kept up with his career post Chelsea because PSG was a foregone conclusion and I've been too busy this year to pay anything more than cursory attention to other clubs or leagues. About the CL final - I don't really care who wins; I'm not even going to watch the match as I have a fortnight of exams beginning the very next morning!

I'm 24.

Yes I work at a finance firm and have been doing so since I was 19 but I don't understand this part - 'what do you with' - please explain.

How did I become a Chelsea fan? I'll just copy paste what I posted earlier :D

I got interested in club football - and this is slightly embarrassing to admit - through a video game called New Star Soccer 3. I chose a career at Chelsea in that game (blue is my favourite colour and I liked the name of the club :blush:) and started looking up the actual players. Frank Lampard caught my attention and I decided to follow England in the 2006 World Cup. The interest in football coincided with my decline in interest in cricket and for a couple of years I'd keep up with Chelsea's results without any deep emotional investment. I began to consider myself a fan after one of the games in the 07-08 season (vs Arsenal at home; Drogba came on as a substitute and scored 2, we won 2-1) when I realised that Chelsea's performances and results actually have an impact on my day.

I'd like to see zolayes next. I'd probably ask him what makes him so grumpy sometimes. I'd like to be a grumpy old man one day :lol:

Moving from India is hypothetical so it's tough to answer; I'll have to do some research first. Broadly speaking though I prefer peaceful places with a moderate climate with wide open spaces and some nice mountain ranges to explore.

Favourite music? :)

Retro Hindi music, Ghazals, alt-rock, britpop and even some hard rock :)

What's your opinion on the state of Indian football, the I-League in particular?

Why doesn't India even come close to competing at the international level? I cringe everytime the FIFA ranking comes out.

Why isn't there a single Indian player scouted to big European league inspite of having many soccer schools and academies run by rich European clubs like United, Chelsea and Liverpool? Also, do you believe in the theory that the clubs with soccer schools in India deliberately try to prevent the rise of Indian football?

Do you think Football will replace Cricket as the prime sport in India in, say, 10 years time? According to some articles, more kids play football than cricket in India these days.( not sure if true)

What do you think of the television coverage of European football in India?

I think the domestic league is improving, as Bangalore's win shows. It's nice to see that a traditionally non-footballing region has taken to it so well. Makes a change from the Goa clubs winning all the time. I'm disappointed that the Pailan Arrows initiative was disbanded; I thought it was a brilliant idea and one young footballers (the only ones who matter when it comes to any posible football growth here) needed.

Why doesn't India do well at the international level? Lots of things. Football has a presence but doesn't quite capture the imagination of your everyday man. The facilities are poor, investment is non existent (but should improve going forward), the authorities are corrupt and can't administer to save their lives. I'm hopeful that with the u17 WC being awarded at least some of the basic infrastructure (stadiums, pitches, training facilities) will get a fillip.

I have a major issue with the foreign clubs viewing India mainly viewing India as a 'market'. The recently proposed franchise leagues will do nothing but fill the pockets of semi-retired international players and provide coffee shop conversation for urban youngsters. It'll do nothing to improve the skills and temperament of young Indian footballers - the biggest thing that will eventually benefit Indian football. Clubs are welcome to have their academies here, kids will only gain from the training their coaches provide. As long as they work towards improving grassroots football, it's fine.

I don't think that's a realistic timeframe, to be honest. The average kid doesn't play football, he plays cricket. Yuppies in Mumbai, Delhi and Bangalore can watch Champions League and Premier League football all they want, they're not going to help Indian football unless they go out and support their local clubs. I make it a point to attend most home games for Mumbai FC, for example. We must congratulate Bangalore FC fans, they were brilliant. Fan support will attract sponsorship which will in turn lead to better administration, better facilities and better conditions and oppportunities for young boys (and girls) to take up football. This will take time.

I enjoy most of the coverage, but that's easy for me to say as a Chelsea fan. I think Star could do a slightly better job overall, mainly in terms of the number of channels they dedicate to football (fuck HD), but you can't complain too much when you can view the biggest matches from England, Spain, Italy, Germany and France + UCL and Europa. I don't like the punditry on most networks but that gives me the opportunity to use the mute button on my remote.

Why the Carlo avatar?

Did you vote?

Favourite Hindi movie?

Because I really enjoyed his time here and thought he was a decent man, let alone a good manager.

Yes, i did. Ab ki baar ...

Anand (early '70s Rajesh Khanna).

Do you support a team in the IPL? If so, which one?

Favourite Chelsea player ever and currently?

Do you know much about Brandon Fernandes and could he be as good as everyone is saying? Heard some people saying he could be the best Indian footballer ever.

No, I hate the IPL. I don't understand how people can continue to watch such a corrupt league.

Super Frank and JT.

That's difficult to say considering his age and the talk surrounding him means nothing until it translates to something on the pitch but the talk is encouraging, which is nice. Sunderland were close to taking him but then O'Neil was sacked and that died down. He does need to make a move soon, though and it needs to be to Europe.

Favourite Chelsea game that wasn't winning a Cup/League (One of mine was the 2-1 against Arsenal you spoke of)

Favourite TV show?

Has to be the 3-1 at Liverpool in 08-09 UCL. Branna double and DD.

X Files.

How is football in India? Is it popular, do you have national league, good players, the indian football is even watchable?

How do you follow european football in India?

Ancelotti or Mourinho?

Football is improving, it's getting more attention, especially in the big cities but it needs to catch on in the rural belt to give competition to cricket. We have a national league and it's about average considering we're talking about a football league in India. The players are not the best technically but most teams try to play on the grass with the ball, there is a general tendency to avoid kick and rush. The may not have the skill to pull it off all the time but that's the general idea. Whether it's watchable depends on your taste. For me it's a 5/10.

Football coverage is quite good, tbf. The English league is the most popular by far and on any weekend there'd be 5-7 games telecast live on a couple of dedicated channels so the reach is there. Besides, most big games from France, Italy, Spain and Germany are available for viewing. The Champions League is popular and enjoys a lot of attention, particularly in the metros. There are magazine shows and football round-ups for a lot of major non-European leagues as well (including Brazil :D). A few big clubs have their own dedicated pubs/sports cafes in places like Mumbai and Delhi.

Carlo as a man and a personality, Mourinho as a manager.

Our second hotseat will be our friend @Madmax, aka Jaimin to the older users. Ask questions starting.....now!

But first remember some basic rules:

• Don't harass other members with inappropriate questions.
  • Don't insult or troll members.
  • Don't expect your question to be answered, it is up to the member to answer it or not. If they feel uncomfortable answering it they have the right to not answer it.
  • Be sensible and respect other users.
  • Have fun!
There are already quite a few people on the list for next hotseats but don't be afraid to nominate yourself!

Previous Hotseat Interviews Link:

No.1: Henrique

Shouldn't have the new hot seat thread be opened today?