Liverpool v Chelsea

Jase

Am I the only one who finds that beyond wrong? And I'm not talking about the annoying media bias, but genuinely ethically wrong towards the people who lost their lives? I mean what does Liverpool winning the league has to do with Hillsborough?! Like that would bring them back or make their deaths okay. How can you equate a sports title to the lives of humans or even imply that their loss would make one contender more deserving than the other?!

I think in your head you can answer that one.

Let's face it titles come and go we've won a few and we will win a few more maybe fate hillsborough or whatever means its got lpools name on it this year.

For us. How we approach this is just as important .The media really have got it in for Jose at the moment and we need to go there as a class outfit which is what we are in every sense and do our best otherwise they'll be out to have the season remembered for when we simply became the new wingeing scousers

Just a thought

Am I the only one who finds that beyond wrong? And I'm not talking about the annoying media bias, but genuinely ethically wrong towards the people who lost their lives? I mean what does Liverpool winning the league has to do with Hillsborough?! Like that would bring them back or make their deaths okay. How can you equate a sports title to the lives of humans or even imply that their loss would make one contender more deserving than the other?!

Winning the league is a way for the players to say to their spectators " We will always do our best for you, like you always come to support us and some of you lose your lives doing so". I think that is the only way a club can show support to their fans. Yes it will not bring back the dead. But maybe it would give the families of the lost ones some (even though it is so small) comfort by showing, that like the fans are loyal to the club, the club is loyal to the fans and will always remember the lost ones. 4 years ago, 72 Egyptian Ahly fans were killed and I know for sure that was how the players felt. When they won the African Champions League the same year, they dedicated it to them and received the cup and medals wearing a shirt that had 72 on it. They know that they are nothing without their fan's love and support. And winning a title and dedicating it to them. When people go to visit their loved ones' graves, they would like to think that their loved ones can feel them or hear them. When they put flowers on their graves, they are well aware that they will not take those flowers, but it is a way to say that they love them and miss them. Such acts make loyal fans advocate. I don't like Liverpool neither do I hate them really. I am commenting on the act regardless of the name of the team. It is always good when the fans know that the players care about them too from time to time, and that it is not all about the money and fame. It is a respectful way to remember the dead fans by dedicating a trophy to them in my opinion.

Any tragedy should not be associated with a football game, I feel.

Currently, liverscums made a big deal out of it. Honor the death in another way, but do not bring this matter as your focal motivation as liverscums have done.

It aint over til its over.

We will field a strong team.

LOL at people calling for Ake and whatnot.

There is still 3 games left, and anything can happen. We all know that.

Plus beating Liverpool means City winning the league probably. And id MUCH RATHER see that.

For good or bad it's a peculiar club that identifies itself with everything about its locality. That's what football clubs in quirky places which sit apart from the rest of its nation do. Barcelona Marseille Napoli The Glasgow clubs etc.

I have always detested the hammer and tennis racket scousering classes who have generally sought to advance a political agenda with Hillaborough. You mix that with a certain type of low life who from the age of 2 has used the accent to good effect to get attention and the combination is unbearable.

However to make it easier and they were only scousers anyway the whole system decided to say they all died there and then and that can be the end of it. I think that's what rightly pisses them off.Yes there are things on the edge of that which will always grate but onc again shouldn't Chelsea tradition draw upon the quirkiness and individuality which sets us apart from the dull driven characterlessness of Arse/Spurs and make sure we don't get tarred with the same Metropolitan brush

1) We're talking about something that has happened over a quarter of a century ago. I understand what Ahly did. What the club and the players must have gone through must have been incredibly tough and I can see how that motivated them to win it for their fans. They have my utmost respect. Similarly, I was delighted when Zambia won the AFCON after they had lost their entire team in the air crash disaster and the new generation wanted to win it for them. But this is a completely different case. Half their players weren't even born when the disaster happened! This would be like united going endlessly on about how they should win because of the Munich disaster every time they are competing for a title, or journalists writing tens of articles of how we deserve to win the title this season for Mathew Harding.

2) It would be more acceptable if the players were talking about how Hillsborough motivates them, but they're not the ones doing the talking. It's their fans and the media who are going on and on and on and on and on about it. And it's not just about winning the league. They've developed and art of somehow relating Hillsborough to every single thing in the world. I was just reading a Liverpool fan tweet that maybe the FA would have helped us in Europe by changing the date of the Liverpool game if some of our fans hadn't broken the minutes silence for Hillsborough! It's gone beyond annoying, it is now an obsession and a mental disease.

3) They talk about respect but first and foremost, they are the ones disrespecting the people who lost their lives by throwing around the memory in every little petty thing.

4) The most annoying thing about it is that they act like the disaster was everyone else's fault and that everyone in the world somehow owes them something because of it. They're not saying that Hillsborough will inspire or motivate the players to win the league. That's fine (though I don't know why it would now when it hasn't "inspired" them for the past 25 years). They're actually saying that they deserve to win the league because of Hillsborough as if the world owes it them because of the disaster.

I'm not English and don't even live in the UK, but I can't take this obsession any more!

I am not disagreeing with anything bro :). As I said I don't care if they win it or not and I am not discussing Liverpool as a club. I am discussing the act of dedicating a trophy for the fallen ones.

Yep they might be overdoing it. But as you know, the story of Hillsborough took many twists and is still alive as far as the family of the deceased are concerned (and for some of the fans too). The fans ( as you know and even the Ahly fans) keep abusing these stories. They keep repeating it and it is just part of their history that cannot be changed.

Forget it is Liverpool and how you feel about them as a club for a minute. I agree that half these players weren't born at the time. I will even assume hypothetically none were. It is part of the club's social responsibility bro. If the players were not there, the club as an entity was. If they don't keep fighting for it and remembering it, then for sure they will lose fan base. Debatable how much they would lose, but why would people support a club that doesn't remember the fans that died while supporting this club?

I agree with you that the means that they are using are questionable. And there is a great sense of exaggeration. But I am not discussing the means. After all, that fan generation was the one partially responsible for the death of 39 in Belgium at the final against Juventus at Heysel. Yet they don't mention it and deny it.

Clubs have to remember their fallen ones, even when the case is closed. It is part of transforming loyal fans into advocates. Clubs will end up making money in the long run out of it (which is sad) and fans will feel more attached to the club and feel that they are getting some "love" back.

Though it is much recent, but there has been a memorial for the Ahly victims every year, and they keep talking about it even though the ones responsible got sentenced ( a few of which got the death penalty for it). They even forget that they are partially responsible for it. The club has to show that social responsibility, it is part of how corporations work. Same as Juventus. English clubs have been banned from the European championships for years but the memory and hatred remains especially amongst the hardcore fans. They keep re-living it. It is part of their history now.

It is just like everything in our lives man. Once it happens it becomes part of your history and it is hard to be forgotten. Some people deal with it in an objective matter others let their passion control it. Football is all about passion. Ahly will keep remembering their victims, Juventus, Liverpool, ManUnited and other clubs. It is part of the club's history and identity.

Again, Liverpool as a club is not the issue for me. I am only talking about the act of remembering the fallen and giving something back especially that the case is not closed.

Winning the league is a way for the players to say to their spectators " We will always do our best for you, like you always come to support us and some of you lose your lives doing so". I think that is the only way a club can show support to their fans. Yes it will not bring back the dead. But maybe it would give the families of the lost ones some (even though it is so small) comfort by showing, that like the fans are loyal to the club, the club is loyal to the fans and will always remember the lost ones. 4 years ago, 72 Egyptian Ahly fans were killed and I know for sure that was how the players felt. When they won the African Champions League the same year, they dedicated it to them and received the cup and medals wearing a shirt that had 72 on it. They know that they are nothing without their fan's love and support. And winning a title and dedicating it to them. When people go to visit their loved ones' graves, they would like to think that their loved ones can feel them or hear them. When they put flowers on their graves, they are well aware that they will not take those flowers, but it is a way to say that they love them and miss them. Such acts make loyal fans advocate. I don't like Liverpool neither do I hate them really. I am commenting on the act regardless of the name of the team. It is always good when the fans know that the players care about them too from time to time, and that it is not all about the money and fame. It is a respectful way to remember the dead fans by dedicating a trophy to them in my opinion.

Well said.

Maybe they just got lucky this season. That's what I wanna believe.

It aint over til its over.

We will field a strong team.

LOL at people calling for Ake and whatnot.

There is still 3 games left, and anything can happen. We all know that.

Plus beating Liverpool means City winning the league probably. And id MUCH RATHER see that.

Right. Let's just risk our crucial players for CITY when we have a CL semi-final in 2 days time. :no:

Well said.

Maybe they just got lucky this season. That's what I wanna believe.

I agree. I doubt if they had the amount of matches we had this season,they would have been in the top 4. Especially with such lousy defense. Plus it ain't over yet. They are close, but who knows, maybe things go our way again.