test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

BlueLion.

28. César Azpilicueta

Started by BlueLion.,

2,624 posts in this topic

I know Kenedy is not a defender but nowadays a lot of fullbacks have started out as wingers and were transformed into fullbacks. In modern football the fullback has essentially taking over the role of the winger.

Marcelo, Alaba, Alba, Alves, the list goes on. All fullbacks that have been put in that role because of their attacking abillity.

Kenedy is 19 years old and could be taught to defend. Ofcourse he'd never be as good a defender as someone like say Azpi but he could be taught the basics so he wouldn't be a liability in that position.

At the end of the day he would be put there primarily because of his attacking abillity.

A perfect example of a fullback in the PL who started as a winger is Bellerin. Look how much he has grown and arguably has been the best RB this season in the PL. Has improved defensively with work by the coaches even though his defensive side can be a bit weak, he is a quality RB now.

And yeah like you said, he will never be as good as a defender as Azpi is but tbh I would much rather an attacking fullback who can be vulnerable to the odd defensive mistakes rather than have a full back who is good defensively but does not offer much on the offensive front.

CurlyHairLikeLuiz likes this

Thing is, now we're kind of loaded in left-back. Aké's done great things at Watford, even grabbing a goal this weekend, so the club would be unwise not to pay attention to him! Then there's Rahman and let's be honest, Azpi at LB was sensational. He dislodged Ashley Cole no problem, who we thought was as untouchable as Ivanovic.

Taking a winger and converting him to LB sounds risky. Indeed, Carragher said last year most LBs are failed wingers lol, but that's from a young age. Most do the opposite, Bale went from a left-back to a left-winger no problems. Because you're taking shackles off, when you make them an LB you're putting the shackles on.

That's not true. The less talent you possess, the further you get pushed back in youth football. If you're a defender at a young age, the odds of switching to an attacking role at a later stage is very, very slim.

It's the opposite. Marcelo, Dani Alves, Roberto Carlos, Alba, Alaba and so many more all played higher up the pitch at first. Ashley Cole was a striker when he was a boy, right? Bale is a rare case. And he was pushed up because he couldn't defend, isn't that something? Sergi Roberto is the latest example of a midfielder turned fullback. Possibly Dani Alves' succesor.

Fullbacks are often failed or decent wingers, midfielders and centrebacks with impressive athleticism and/or power. Less tactical responsibility, more space, more freedom, element of surprise when attacking. It's easier to master but at the same time it's very demanding.

The Skipper, LDN Blue and Amblève. like this

That's not true. The less talent you possess, the further you get pushed back in youth football. If you're a defender at a young age, the odds of switching to an attacking role at a later stage is very, very slim.

It's the opposite. Marcelo, Dani Alves, Roberto Carlos, Alba, Alaba and so many more all played higher up the pitch at first. Ashley Cole was a striker when he was a boy, right? Bale is a rare case. And he was pushed up because he couldn't defend, isn't that something? Sergi Roberto is the latest example of a midfielder turned fullback. Possibly Dani Alves' succesor.

Fullbacks are often failed or decent wingers, midfielders and centrebacks with impressive athleticism and/or power. Less tactical responsibility, more space, more freedom, element of surprise when attacking. It's easier to master but at the same time it's very demanding.

Fair enough, I guess that does make sense.

I just thought that transition from winger to defence would have happened at academy level as opposed to professional. I mean you follow my reasoning? If they're not trusted defensively young then I would've thought they would lack the discipline to carry it out.

That's my worry with Kenedy suggestion. He's so used to being in the attacking third of the pitch that defensive duties might be abandoned by force of habit.

Fair enough, I guess that does make sense.

I just thought that transition from winger to defence would have happened at academy level as opposed to professional. I mean you follow my reasoning? If they're not trusted defensively young then I would've thought they would lack the discipline to carry it out.

That's my worry with Kenedy suggestion. He's so used to being in the attacking third of the pitch that defensive duties might be abandoned by force of habit.

I completely understand what you're saying. It's not a transition for everyone. But you can learn how to defend even at relatively late age. Some possess that natural knack already, that aggression and ability to react quickly.

I agree with those saying he did well when he played there. But personally I need to see more of him there, especially when facing real resistance, before drawing conclusions.

The Skipper likes this

I completely understand what you're saying. It's not a transition for everyone. But you can learn how to defend even at relatively late age. Some possess that natural knack already, that aggression and ability to react quickly.

I agree with those saying he did well when he played there. But personally I need to see more of him there, especially when facing real resistance, before drawing conclusions.

Yeah course.

Like again going back to my op, we'll have Baba, Aké (if he is called back) and Azpilicueta as our LBs. Cesar does count as both to be fair, and if Aina comes through then we'll have 3 RBs too.

Let's see what subsequent managers think, because if it's working in training and they see him there in the future then Mou will deserve a good amount of credit for that.

The Skipper likes this

How many players have been forced to wear masks since like 2012? 

Off the top of my head: Ba, Torres, Cech, Matic, Cesc, Cahill, and now Azpi (again!)

The curse is upon us! 

Ramires also

On 07/01/2016 at 6:56 PM, Blue-in-me-Veins said:

How many players have been forced to wear masks since like 2012? 

Off the top of my head: Ba, Torres, Cech, Matic, Cesc, Cahill, and now Azpi (again!)

The curse is upon us! 

Paulo Ferreira. But he's actually a superhero.

26 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Off the top of my head since Guus has come in, Cesar has scored once, had two shots saved by Dea Gea and Hennesy respectively, assisted Rubens goal and created two chances yesterday (Cesc backheel saved by Howard and Diego miskick I think, might be wrong on which ones but I'm sure he set up two chances).

In 5 games that a good record for a left back who's supposedly shit at attacking, if Baba came in for 5 games and did half of that his thread would explode about how great it is to finally have a left back who can attack.

His lack of attacking was more down to instructions than any lack of ability on his behalf, I'm not saying he's Marcelo or Alaba but he's nowhere near as bad going forward as General opinion suggests.

5 minutes ago, Styles said:

I don't know, man. Baines put on a masterclass yesterday and it was clear to see what a top class attacking LB contributes. We're so stunted by having Azpi on the left and Ivan in the team.

Agreed. He has done very well offensively wise in recent matches however you only have to look at the likes of what Baines did yesterday and what Bellerin did against Sunderland in the FA Cup against Sunderland the other day to see how much we are missing by not having two natural attacking full backs in their correct positions. Had Baines been fit earlier on, Lukaku would have a lot more goals and likewise had we had a Baines/Coleman combo, Costa would have scored a lot more goals.

DYC. likes this